The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks went Public with an IPO, would you buy a share?

CanucksJay

Facebook: Initial trading saw the stock shoot up to as much as $45.[33] Yet the early rally was unsustainable. The stock struggled to stay above the IPO price for most of the day, forcing underwriters to buy back shares to support the price.[36] Only the aforementioned technical glitches and underwriter support prevented the stock price from falling below the IPO price on the first day of trading.

Vonage: was a real flop, yes, but there were other circumstances at play (there's a reason their underwriters who did the valuation were sued).

as for others, nearly every stock has a early rally in first couple hours, that's my window to buy and then immediately sell. then with those profits, i'd buy once the post launch dip is finished.

I dunno... A high profile IPO like this might actually be oversubscribed I think and they may want to support the price.

This is where I think a publicly traded team differs from a regular invest. As you see on the boards, fans are very emotional and at times blinded by their love for the team. It's not just about the money, its about having ownership in a team that you have grown up loving and wanting to see them win the championship.

Sure the investors that are only in it for the money may run at the 1st sign of trouble but I think there would be enough fan support to buy up those shares.

There is no way the average investor could have ever got a trade off at a price of $45.33 or anywhere close. Orders to buy were left unconfirmed by Nasdaq and confirmations were only sent out many hours later after the price had tanked. The only bright side to that IPO is some moron's algorithm would enter a massive market order to buy on the hour and 30 mins. If you bought right ahead of that idiot's order you could get any share lot off and immediately flip it out for a 35 - 50 cent/share gain, rinse, repeat 30 mins later. Wish there were more idiots like that.

It's very easy to look at a chart in hindsight and say "I could have bought here, and sold here". In reality there is much more to it.

Wondering if you've traded an IPO and if so was it on a DMA (direct market access) platform?

It was just $45. The .33 is because they copy and pasted from wikipedia and included the source :)

Thanks for that. That's why I also said "or anywhere close" meaning the $45 prints.

The stock market is made up of many different market centers (if you include dark pools there more than 80+ market centers. There is no truly centralized order book.

The $45 trades traded way outside of the real price queue on the "ARCA" market center. The average investor putting their orders in on Scotia I-trade, E-trade or any other retail platform does not have the ability to route their orders to a specific market center. Their broker simply routes the order to the market center least likely to get the fastest fill and that will provide them the highest rebate from that market center or ECN. Typically $2/1000 shares on a limit order which they do not pass on to the client. They simply pocket it for themselves.

There were a handful of trades completed on that market center only at $45. The real price for everyone else at that time was sub $44.

The bottom line is just because a stock reached a specific price don't assume you could have got a fill at that price. Especially in a very fast moving market like that involving an IPO. Regulation NMS which is supposed to make this practice illegal, simply is not enforced.

The market is a very crooked game. If you're not on the inside with the proper tools, then you're on the outside and good luck to you.

Back on topic. A good investment is generally one with a very predictable stream of revenue growth. That excludes sports teams.

When you buy shares in a company you decide if the management of that company is capable of out managing its competitors and thus leading its given industry. The Canucks management (Gillis) is nowhere close to outmanaging his competition so I would not buy shares in the Canucks as long as he is leading them....its a downward market spiral.

Do tell how an artificially inflated market that was propped up by low mortgage rates and destined to come back down to earth has any connection to the Canucks.

The fact is, Canucks tickets and merch haven't hit their peak breaking point yet. Fans are still consistently willing to shell out a week's wage to see their team, and they're still willing to pay $129 for a jersey. I agree that at some point, those numbers will be on the decline, but for now, revenue will simply be on the rise.

Archived