The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Did NJ pull a fast one on us?

I seriously think NJ played MG like a fool and backed him into a corner. Now this is just my gut feeling but I believe NJ was aware of the offer that EDM had and matched it.

Then all they had to do was wait untill EDM used the 7th pick and say "hey Mike the deal changed, now the offer is just a 9th, take it or leave it"

NJ does not really even need Cory but if they can make a steal why not? They rolled the dice and won. The longer Mike waited the better players would be snacthed up and that also worked in NJ's advantage.

Lucky we got Hunter tho :)

I don't think so... GM's are businessmen. If a deal was reached and they shook on it, I am quite certain that it would be honoured.

If NJ turns around and trades Schneider to Edmonton (or any of our conference rivals) for a bigger return, THAT would be pulling a fast one.

Edmonton was paying more because they are a division rival. I'm happy we didn't trade him to Edmonton just to get more in return, Edmonton would have become our Daddy for years to come.

Edmonton WASN'T paying more, that's the thing. The asking price was higher, and they walked away from it. I feel that's a little fact that a lot of people are missing. Edmonton wasn't offering 7th, their 2nd, and a young player, we don't know what they were offering. That's just what the Canucks were asking from them.

No. I think what happend was the Canucks were looking at a 9th overall pick that they considered misleading in value, in the sense that Horvat in their mind's is probably more akin to a top 5 pick, with the type of balanced attributes they simply weren't willing to miss out on.

I might have liked to see a deal like Schneider for a blueliner like Adam Larsson, allowing the Canucks cap flexibility, bolstering their blueline, and making it easier to let go of a defenseman like Ballard, but I'm nowhere near as aware as the Canucks' scouting staff of just how good Horvat is, and why they weren't willing to let that player slip by them. I also would have loved to see Nurse in the system, but dealing with Edmonton was a non-starter if they weren't prepared to pay through the ceiling.

Building strength up the middle for the future of the franchise is a reasonable priority. With Horvat, Gaunce, Schroeder and Lain in the system, as well as a premier sniper in Shinkaruk, to go with Jensen, Kassian, Blomstrand on the wings, the Canucks are in a much better position moving forward to deal with cap issues and creating depth from within the organization.

Why does that matter ... at the end of the day you are not playing against 1 team they are playing against teams in the whole league. If Edmonton provided a better return that can help the team beat other teams then it doesn't matter if the team you are trading with is a division rival.

Edmonton WASN'T paying more, that's the thing. The asking price was higher, and they walked away from it. I feel that's a little fact that a lot of people are missing. Edmonton wasn't offering 7th, their 2nd, and a young player, we don't know what they were offering. That's just what the Canucks were asking from them.

Archived