The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Further de-evolution of the league....?

MANGO

OK, so if you are a cap spending team, this year you need to shed 6 mil. from your roster. You cant get rid of 6 players@ 1.0 mil. because you wouldn’t have enough players to fill out your roster. So teams need to shed a couple of 2-3 million dollar players or a marquee 5-6 million dollar player.

These are the bread a butter players of the NHL. Is this a further watering down of the league? How many of these players do you think will not be able to sign with an NHL team this year? Potentially, ending up in the KHL. or just not playing. With the cap dropping, will the league see and influx of AHL calibre players in an effort to hang on to their marquee players, or at least avoid higher priced buyouts?

It may take several years before present elite player contracts drop in value and equalize with the new lower cap, which would allow for these players to enter the league again.

In 5 years, what will your franchise player be worth 5 mil. tops.....? Or will the cap rise steadily, top out too high again, trap a bunch of cap spending teams, and then have to go through all of this lock-out, cap dropping BS again?

Well the cap is starting to work the way it supposed to.

If you want to over pay a number of players, the rest of your team will be scrubs. That was the purpose of the cap, to control spending and salary escalation.

Each GM will have his own method of dealing with stuff but from what I can see I like it. Big contracts getting bought out and players signing for less (salaries going down).

However, if players like Clarkson, Bozak start getting paid stupid sums of money, well that's on the respective GM's heads and then they will have 2nd line players getting paid 1st line money and then they have created their own issues...

I like what I am seeing actually

Well the cap is starting to work the way it supposed to.

If you want to over pay a number of players, the rest of your team will be scrubs. That was the purpose of the cap, to control spending and salary escalation.

I see this as a sort of league tactic to further increase parity. Might not be so bad after a new, lengthy CBA goes into effect.

Pretty shocking though to see the abundance of expensive buyouts. Particularly contracts that were drawn up fairly recently(Bryz, grabo, etc...) Fools & their $.

As everyone is saying, it's about parity.

Salary cap crunch; shootouts; playoff rule changes returning to clutch & grab era (for certain teams). It's all about giving the garbage markets a chance to do well.

Because the NHL is trying to circumvent the quality of GMs, players, and organizations to the point where you might as well have zero management, ice children and then watch as everyone is tied for points because the game has been reduced to a 60 minute roll of the die. If nothing can overcome the league's desire for parity, why would you ice anything but the worst product imaginable? You can cut costs and the league will just change the rules to even things out for you. You want to watch that game?

Archived