The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Interview: Monday, July 8 - 99.3 FM - 7:30 a.m.

CDeM85

For those who think it's a simple play or not play (like GMMG), that is not the case. He can retire or not report. He can play overseas (signing in the KHL Or Swedish Elite) etc...

If he sits, this team is screwed. Trade him and sign Bryz or Theodore etc... Buy him out.

He will not be back.

This is about his family. He has two young kids in Florida,the oldest of which enters Kidergarten this year. Looking at his condo it is obvious a family of 4 doesn't live there so it seems his wife and kids live in Florida year round. At this point in his career, he probably would rather take a year off hockey and then become a free agent than be 5500 km's away from his kids 7+ months a year.

The failure on Gillis is not talking about this to Lu before trading Cory.

I kinda remember a different story with Roy in Montreal. He was getting lit up like a Christmas tree, as you say, stormed off the ice, and walked right past the coach, whose name escapes me. He then walked over to the owner sitting right behind the bench, and demanded to get out of that circus.

I kinda remember a different story with Roy in Montreal. He was getting lit up like a Christmas tree, as you say, stormed off the ice, and walked right past the coach, whose name escapes me. He then walked over to the owner sitting right behind the bench, and demanded to get out of that circus.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but, remind me... when did Patrick Roy, three-time Conn Smythe winner, get knocked out of the playoffs three seasons in row by allowing a combined 16 goals in the last game of those three years? When did he play a SCF where he had an 8.00 GAA in away games?

Roberto Luongo is a very good goaltender but he's no Patrick Roy and he lost his job for a reason.

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...

Im done here. You people are disgusting... maybe if you freaking support him it would help? This is all mike gillis fault.

Support your #1 goalie... he's left his family for this city... he's given his all ever since he came here. HE MADE THIS MEDIOCRE TEAM A POWER HOUSE.

HOW CAN U BE SO UNGRATEFUL? Im ashamed to classify myself as a canucks fan along with some of you.

Support him and hopefully he'll forgive.

I think he's coming back, even if the only reason is to not leave his teammates of a longtime hanging. When you spend as much time with mostly the same guys working towards the same goal, pretty hard to just say hey sorry guys I'm not going to help this year. If he can find inspiration to come back for the Sedins or anyone else he wants to help win a cup he can be a motivated goalie for sure.

This is about his family. He has two young kids in Florida,the oldest of which enters Kidergarten this year. Looking at his condo it is obvious a family of 4 doesn't live there so it seems his wife and kids live in Florida year round. At this point in his career, he probably would rather take a year off hockey and then become a free agent than be 5500 km's away from his kids 7+ months a year.

Im done here. You people are disgusting... maybe if you freaking support him it would help? This is all mike gillis fault.

Support your #1 goalie... he's left his family for this city... he's given his all ever since he came here. HE MADE THIS MEDIOCRE TEAM A POWER HOUSE.

HOW CAN U BE SO UNGRATEFUL? Im ashamed to classify myself as a canucks fan along with some of you.

If Lu decides to sit, then why would giving him a heads up about the Schneider trade make any difference? (Btw players aren't ever made aware of trades until they actually happen in any sport. Number one reason being that discussing it can compromise the deal. Number two if the deal folds after the discussion then the relationship is tainted)

If Lu sits, then the failure is all on Lu, actually. Olympic year. $40mil. Breach of contract. Etc.

He'd be doing the Canucks a favour, cash-wise. Insane contract goes bye-bye.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but, remind me... when did Patrick Roy, three-time Conn Smythe winner, get knocked out of the playoffs three seasons in row by allowing a combined 16 goals in the last game of those three years? When did he play a SCF where he had an 8.00 GAA in away games?

Roberto Luongo is a very good goaltender but he's no Patrick Roy and he lost his job for a reason.

Guest Pinchin

Except that was one game, and a regular season game at that. He was getting jeered by the fans and had enough. He was still an amazing goalie (probably the best of all time, or second best) and went on to win a few Stanley Cups.

He never lost his job to another goalie. Roy was on a whole other level.

Patrick Roy, in my mind, is still the greatest goaltender I have ever seen. That said, at the time he left Montreal, there were plenty of jabs being taken at him that he was on his way down, that his heart wasn't in it anymore etc. Colorado saved him as much as he saved that team and Cups followed.

I don't put Luongo in that category at all, but if Lou had played his career in Detroit or Pittsburgh, he'd likely have multiple Cups to his name and who knows what his reputation would be then? I certainly remember some bonehead moves by Roy.

Like I said, best goalie ever in my mind, but not without his flaws.

Archived