The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Westboro Baptist Church's Plan To Picket Cory Monteith's Funeral Is Shameful

nuckin_futz

Yes, yes it is. Its from the 1991 supreme court of Canada ruling in favor of banning the repeated public expression of hate over the freedom of religion and speech. It was a narrow 4-3 ruling and there are many who say the provision is too broad and imprecise. To this day it is a grey area on where the limits of the law should be. I dont think Canada Customs should be the ones drawing that line. Especially in regards to an illegal act these people havent committed yet.

Let them in. Keep an eye on them. If they go over the line, which they almost assuredly will, then arrest them all. See how they like that. The US has much tougher laws in defense of free speech that they have used so far to keep out of jail. Canada not so much. There will be convictions.

Like I said Im not in favor of what they do. The members of that church or cult or whatever it is actually seem to be literally insane to me. Plus Im an atheist. But I do believe in free speech and freedom of religion for everyone.

Don't you just love the arbitrary rule decided by committee and not democratically by the people nor based on any clear cut formalities that we have in Canada? I hear they've also barred the Quran burning pastor Terry Jones from entering this country without having committed any crime. Free country, my ass!

Why would you want people who are not even from this country, coming in and promoting hatred? Considering Canada abolished slavery before the US and recognized gay rights before the US...yes I would say this is a free country moreso than America could ever hope to be.

What is justification to designate hate speech as a fundamental right? People are still entitled to their opinions in private but Canada prides itself as a society of tolerance for all so why should one persons crapty opinion outweigh a groups desire to not be persecuted in their own country?

So, WBC basically has made a public statement that they are going to Canada to protest a funeral. Now, there is some question about whether that act is legal or not. But, if, the protest would be illegal, I would expect border services to deny them entry.

To those that argue that theys shouldn't be barred entry for something they have not comitted, well, that is ludicrous. There is no inherent right for non Canadians to enter Canada. What if they said that they were coming over to Canada to kill someone and it is publicly known that they have made such a declaration. I would expect border services to deny entry in Canada before they actually come over and kill someone.

I'd let them in, they will look like idiots and be gone a day later. I don't agree with their stance, but words haven't hurt me since a high school breakup.

I do not like the government or anyone else telling me what I can and cannot say. It can lead to all protest and speech being restricted to only what "The good people/government/military" will allow us.

Anybody have that quote by Voltaire regarding speech?

So, WBC basically has made a public statement that they are going to Canada to protest a funeral. Now, there is some question about whether that act is legal or not. But, if, the protest would be illegal, I would expect border services to deny them entry.

To those that argue that theys shouldn't be barred entry for something they have not comitted, well, that is ludicrous. There is no inherent right for non Canadians to enter Canada. What if they said that they were coming over to Canada to kill someone and it is publicly known that they have made such a declaration. I would expect border services to deny entry in Canada before they actually come over and kill someone.

I am all for the right to protest but if these Americans are attempting to enter our country for the sole purpose to cause a disturbance and essentially disrupt the lives of those who are going to mourn the loss of another human life, shouldn't the government then have a right to refuse them entry?

It's a tricky matter and it could be a slippery slope which we don't want at all but I wonder if there are some legal grounds that could be stood on to refuse them entry around this type of thing.

Archived