The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins - HOFers?

Jonathan Canuck

I think they have had quite a part in changing the game and causing the league to adapt and learn from their plays that they've introduced. Being 38 years old and having watched quite a bit of hockey in life I'm wondering if anyone else knows if these cycling plays had already been done in the league previously(Pretty sure NO). If the Sedin's are solely responsibly, then they would be more deserving of such a honor. To answer the question.... yes they get in.

The Sedins don't NEED to win a cup to be in the HHOF. One word, Mats Sundin, the guy never won a cup yet is in the hall of fame, even though he has like 1200 points and was a point per game player, the thought of the sedins NOT being in the hall of fame is ridiculous. Back to back scoring titles, being drafted to the same team and possibly the two players who revolutionized the use of the cycle strategy in the offensive zone, I personally see them in the hall of fame no matter if they win a cup or not

The HHOF is full of elite players who shaped the game and had great effects on it. The Sedins did just that, their cycling strategy changed the way playes play. At first no one could do anything to counter act the cycling but as time went on it was easier to shut them down as they are not the biggest fellows and can be pushed off the puck easier than a lot of players but it still works great non the less. Hockey is known for its speed and strength but the Sedins are totally different from that, they are strong but not in the Lucic,Burt kind of way and they have no speed but they use skill and hockey sense to dominate games. Once the likes of the Sedins, Datsyuk and other highly skilled finesse players who constantly make highlight reel and control games are out of the game hockey wont be nearly and entertaining.

They are Hall of Fame players imo, without doubt.

Just as an example, have a look at the list of Hart Trophy winners...

1951–52 Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings RW 1 1952–53 Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings RW 2 1953–54 Al Rollins Chicago Black Hawks G 1 1954–55 Ted Kennedy Toronto Maple Leafs C 1 1955–56 Jean Beliveau Montreal Canadiens C 1 1956–57 Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings RW 3 1957–58 Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings RW 4 1958–59 Andy Bathgate New York Rangers RW 1 1959–60 Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings RW 5 1960–61 Bernie Geoffrion Montreal Canadiens RW 1 1961–62 Jacques Plante Montreal Canadiens G 1 1962–63 Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings RW 6 1963–64 Jean Beliveau Montreal Canadiens C 2 1964–65 Bobby Hull Chicago Black Hawks LW 1 1965–66 Bobby Hull Chicago Black Hawks LW 2 1966–67 Stan Mikita Chicago Black Hawks C 1 1967–68 Stan Mikita Chicago Black Hawks C 2 1968–69 Phil Esposito Boston Bruins C 1 1969–70 Bobby Orr Boston Bruins D 1 1970–71 Bobby Orr Boston Bruins D 2 1971–72 Bobby Orr Boston Bruins D 3 1972–73 Bobby Clarke Philadelphia Flyers C 1 1973–74 Phil Esposito Boston Bruins C 2 1974–75 Bobby Clarke Philadelphia Flyers C 2 1975–76 Bobby Clarke Philadelphia Flyers C 3 1976–77 Guy Lafleur Montreal Canadiens RW 1 1977–78 Guy Lafleur Montreal Canadiens RW 2 1978–79 Bryan Trottier New York Islanders C 1 1979–80 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 1 1980–81 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 2 1981–82 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 3 1982–83 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 4 1983–84 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 5 1984–85 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 6 1985–86 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 7 1986–87 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers C 8 1987–88 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins C 1 1988–89 Wayne Gretzky Los Angeles Kings C 9 1989–90 Mark Messier Edmonton Oilers C 1 1990–91 Brett Hull St. Louis Blues RW 1 1991–92 Mark Messier New York Rangers C 2 1992–93 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins C 2 1993–94 Sergei Fedorov Detroit Red Wings C 1 1994–95 Eric Lindros Philadelphia Flyers C 1 1995–96 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins C 3 1996–97 Dominik Hasek Buffalo Sabres G 1 1997–98 Dominik Hasek Buffalo Sabres G 2 1998–99 Jaromir Jagr Pittsburgh Penguins RW 1 1999–2000 Chris Pronger St. Louis Blues D 1 2000–01 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche C 1 2001–02 Jose Theodore Montreal Canadiens G 1 2002–03 Peter Forsberg Colorado Avalanche C 1 2003–04 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 1 2004–05 Not awarded due to the league's lockout. 2005–06 Joe Thornton Boston Bruins/San Jose Sharks C 1 2006–07 Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins C 1 2007–08 Alexander Ovechkin Washington Capitals LW 1 2008–09 Alexander Ovechkin Washington Capitals LW 2 2009–10 Henrik Sedin Vancouver Canucks C

It's pretty rare that players of that stature don't make the HOF - perhaps Al Rollins and Theodore are exceptions - but the Sedins are on the cusp of a decade as elite players.

Bure was just inducted on the strength of, for the most part, 6 or 7 NHL seasons...

I think the Sedins end up in the HOF, and it has nothing really to do with whether or not they win a Cup.

I think they have had quite a part in changing the game and causing the league to adapt and learn from their plays that they've introduced. Being 38 years old and having watched quite a bit of hockey in life I'm wondering if anyone else knows if these cycling plays had already been done in the league previously(Pretty sure NO). If the Sedin's are solely responsibly, then they would be more deserving of such a honor. To answer the question.... yes they get in.

They definitely won't get in as the highest scoring brothers to play in the NHL. They will have to get in as the highest scoring twins to play. That being said they need a few more years of elite playing to even be considered, a Stanley Cup would guarantee entrance.

Are you saying that with their current numbers they just need a cup? or are you saying that they would never get in without one?

How exactly should they do that? IMO they have done nothing to warrant that reputation in the first place. So to get rid of it, Hank should play in another five hundred games in a row to "appear" tougher?

I think they have had quite a part in changing the game and causing the league to adapt and learn from their plays that they've introduced. Being 38 years old and having watched quite a bit of hockey in life I'm wondering if anyone else knows if these cycling plays had already been done in the league previously(Pretty sure NO).   If the Sedin's are solely responsibly, then they would be more deserving of such a honor.   To answer the question.... yes they get in.

They haven't taken the next step to put themselves out there yet. As much as I admire them they haven't looked the same since the Cup finals. I haven't seen the same magic they used to play with. A couple of seasons above 90 points isn't going to cut it for the HHoF. They need to lead this team to a Cup and prove to be a cut above the rest on a stage where everybody sees. Not just us.

Archived