The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Best/Worst moves

supermanbieksa

Wait, wasting draft picks on Bernier is good cuz he now plays 4th line scrub for the Devils? We wasted 3 years on him paying him $2.5M/yr when we could have developed another player than this failed pet project.

If AV was the problem with Ballard then get rid of one of them. No point letting him rot on your roster only to buy him out in the end.

Another bad move - agreeing to be GM in a market that expects every draft pick, trade or signing to work in the team's favour.

Another good move - signing David Backes to an offer sheet which was ultimately matched. Imagine Backes on the Canucks...

He realized it was a bad draft and shipped him out trying to get a good D-Man... You have to understand the real trade was a 1st for Ballard... Grabner and Bernier were just dumped

I have a question: Why did the prior GM draft Grabner ahead of Claude Giroux, Milan Lucic, Chris Stewart, Patrick Berglund, Shawn Matthias, and Brad Marchand?

At the time, nobody expected us to draft Grabner at #14 overall. That was the fail here, long before we dumped his ass to Florida, who dumped his ass again to NYI, home of the waiver pickup.

I have an answer.Nobody dumps first round picks that are producing points in their first year in the NHL for peanuts.

Talking about asses,how about a GM that dumped two first round picks for nothing in their freaking rookie years WHEN THEY WERE PRODUCING.

Grabner : 20 gp 5g 6a playing third line minutes as a rookie

Hodgson: 63gp 16 g 17a playing third line minutes as a rookie

wtf, can you read? I said dump you for nothing.

I'll save us both ticket fare and suggest that you don't need to fly anywhere, except off of these message boards. I'll send you 2 bucks if that helps with the 'buyout.'

Agreed. MG's asset management is very questionable. Trading a RW in Samuellson and acquiring a LW in Booth and forcing him to play in his off wing isn't optimal. We already had too many left wingers as Burrows was playing RW.

I agree with Garrison, he might seem like a good deal, but we already had too many left side defenseman. We're lucky that Garrison has adjusted to the right side fairly well, but it still suboptimal.

Then we went from a team overflowing with talent at centre to one that reeked in desperation for one. Going from top 3 in faceoffs to bottom 3.

And finally, we went to being top 5 in PP to bottom 5 in PP in 2 seasons. Gillis has not gotten the right chemistry working ever since Ehrhoff, Samuellson, and Salo were lost. Big booming shots at the point are overrated compared to effective distributing the puck to disorient the defenders. Besides, you only need one person who can blast it. Our PP is so predictable now that everyone knows the blast is coming.

I ageee with everything except about the passing on the PP. A quarterback passer on the point makes or breaks the PP. We have two shooters in Edler and Garrison but no one can get them puck. Certainly not each other or Bieksa. Ehrhoff had a deadly cross the blueline pass that was on the tape every time. He either moved in and blasted it or went short wall. If those were taken away the other defenceman was wide open for a blast and Ehrhoff/Salo could deliver the pass.

Lost Hodgson for a project- and Sulzer,whom is playing top four in Buffalo.

Traded for Pahlsson to fill the loss of Hodgson,lost two fourth-round picks and Ellington.

Traded for Roy and lost K-Con and a second round pick in a deep draft.

So,lost Hodgson (top 53 PPG player),Sulzer for a fourth line project that performs the role of Dale Weisse.

Lost a second round pick,two-fourths,Ellington,K-Con,Roy and Pahlsson(and paying their salaries) for the loss of Hodgson.

Nine players lost (if we include Sulzer and Hodgson) ,not to mention the Schroeder pick and now Horvat to fill 3C.

Hodgson is an NHL top sniper and Kassian plugs and fights.

Way to stock the cupboard Mike.

Archived