The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Give me some advice CDC - Jobs Edition.

Scottish⑦Canuck

I have no idea why I've come here for advice... but here goes.

I finished uni in June with a pretty good degree in geology and I've been applying for all sorts of geology related jobs since. However, it isn't the best time to be a graduate as a lot of the major industries are in pretty bad shape, so I haven't heard anything back from pretty much everyone.

Anyway, I finally got myself an interview after a whole summer of virtually nothing, which was in Glasgow today (geotechnical graduate placement position). It went really well (I think?). However, for the first couple of years the salary only equates to at or around $20,000 Canadian. I've been adding up the total living costs (now that I have to pay income tax, council tax, rent, utilities, internet etc.) and I'd barely make enough to break even at the end of the month.

My problem is that I want the job for the experience as I don't know when the next chance of employment will come up, and I really am eager to start working full time. However, I'm not sure if I want to be in a situation where I have no savings whatsoever and I'm limited in what I can and can't afford to do in my limited free time. And I'd be tied to the apartment in Glasgow until the lease ran out and all of the contracts that come with it (electricity, gas etc.)

Somebody give me some advice. Should I just tough it out for a while or look for something better? I'm not sure that I can afford to be fussy at the moment.

Congrats on grabbing your degree.

I think you'll have to suck it up for a bit (can you really afford not to?) until a better job comes around.

Can you easily leave this job that you have on the table if a better job was offered?

Man I am in the exact same position this summer minus the job interview, it's tough. I would tough it out if I was you, the experience is more important than anything right now. It builds character toughing it out like that, plus it makes a great story of what you went through just so you could get experience. If you can bring it up in your next job interview they will see how passionate you are about the job.

If your parents are willing to help you out maybe while you look for a job, then I'd possibly say wait for it - however, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to bring home the bacon, if you know what I'm saying.

Strange. Must be a different situation over there. I know a lot of people studying/just finished their geology degrees and all but one managed to get summer jobs in industry while still in school. They were all more into min ex and mostly did core logging though so maybe that's the difference.

Are you wanting to go into geotechnics? It's probably worth it if that's what you want to do. Is what they're going to have you do actually relevant and transferable to other geology jobs in the future? If not and you aren't wanting to be a geotech you should probably keep looking. I've never met a geologist into geotechnics. It's more of an engineering thing.

I had to go through that. I ended up working at the hospital full-time and than as a server on weekends and on nights. I was exhausted 24/7 and wasn't the nicest person to be around for awhile but the experience of both jobs actually helped score a job that had higher pay than both combined with less hours so it worked out in the end. If you can live with having no free time, getting a second job pays off in the long run.

Strange. Must be a different situation over there. I know a lot of people studying/just finished their geology degrees and all but one managed to get summer jobs in industry while still in school. They were all more into min ex and mostly did core logging though so maybe that's the difference.

Are you wanting to go into geotechnics? It's probably worth it if that's what you want to do. Is what they're going to have you do actually relevant and transferable to other geology jobs in the future? If not and you aren't wanting to be a geotech you should probably keep looking. I've never met a geologist into geotechnics. It's more of an engineering thing.

hey SC, is it possible that there'll be a better hiring period later in the year or early next year? i would imagine that these companies need to produce quarterly/annual reports to report to their shareholders and so do hiring and layoffs accordingly.

have you created a linkedin account and tried to do some networking in the field?

2 months isn't that long. however a bird in hand is better than one in the bush. if you're able to get the training and start the job all the while continuing to apply for other positions, i'd do that. as long as you don't have a contract of 2 years at a low salary. but then again, 2 years is nothing in the scheme of things.

Mining has taken a huge hit this year and most mines are not doing exploration right now. My girlfriend is a geologist and she is working at the mine I'm at, but her contract runs up in the next couple of months because of how bad mining has been hit. She's been looking and applying, but there are practically no mines right now looking for geologists. Oil and gas are looking, but most of oil and gas want experience in the Oil industry. Can be hard to get into at times.

It's not my first choice of job, but it's what people here are having the most success in. I haven't heard of a single person who has successfully applied for a job in the mining industry. It's in horrendous shape at the moment. Some of the bigger companies are opening up their graduate placement applications pretty soon, but the competition will be nuts. The big oil companies are looking for Masters degrees. I've applied for some logging geologist positions on the rigs all over the world but so far have heard nothing.

The work with the geotechnical consultants seems to involve a lot of core logging and soil descriptions.They also work in quarrying and minerals.That industry is definitely better suited to the civil engineer but they were recruiting for a geologist so I decided to go for it.

this is the worst/most stressful time for everyone.. and the worst part is that you can't help but compare yourself to your peers.

i'd also back up Dee's advice to look at other things beside what you got your degree in.

my best friend is depressed because after a Bachelors, Masters and a PhD in genetics, she's unable to find a post-doc or any job in industry.

It's all timing and luck. Hang in there.

Archived