The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows 3rd Line C

Sergei Bobrovsky

With Torts being comfortable giving young guys big minutes closes a door for a specific person while opening up new doors for our young guys.

It's safe to say that both Jordan and Zack are going to be a natural on our team as they were last season. Under AV though both players were given limited amount of minuets. With a new coach comes new changes. Torts loves giving young guys a chance to prove themselves that they can help the team win on a daily basis. An idea is playing both Jordan and Zack on the top 2 lines. They can fit in nicely under Torts as they can receive a shot to prove themselves to be an original top 6 forward, plus they fill in holes that our top 2 lines has.

Our 1st line has the Sedins. Lets be honest, the Sedins can't hold their grounds when heavyweights and rats like Lucic and Marchand starts controling them both physically and mentally. We need a guy who will be always willing to step in for the Sedins. Willing to take the chirping, trolling, hitting, roughing up and hopefully be able to spit out some of his own. This winger also needs to be able to produce.

Zack is a perfect fit on this line. He can take in all the gritty and chirping works by guys like Marchand who are trying to target the Sedins. This will be a huge relief and get rid of any stress for the tiwns to just be twins as they know they have somebody that can back them up. He can also produce as shown when he was given the chance to play with the twins for a certain amount of time

Our 2nd line has always been looking for a playmaking winger. Knowing Torts loves to play his young guns, Jordan is a perfect player to play on this line

He can skate, pass, has good vision and has offensive upside. All you can ask for for a 2nd line playmaker winger. Give him a good amount of games to create chemistry on the line and bam.

Now if Torts did decide to play those guys on our top 2 lines and assuming we give Booth his last chance, Burrows is the odd one out.

He has the ability to score, block shots, good defensive awareness, great fore checker, shut guys down and can get underneath players skin. I don't know about you but that is everything we want for any traditional 3rd liner to have. Having played the center position before makes him a candidate to be our 3rd line center. Although he only played centermen for a short while he adapted pretty well from transitioning from wing to center. With that short time he has also gain brief experience on how it's like to play centeremen in the NHL. Say give him time to develop to be more familiar to the position by playing him on the 3rd line as a center in practices, pre-games, 8-12 regular season games and maybe just maybe he could fully adapt and become our new 3rd line center as I highly doubt he will be put on the 4th line.

If this does happen our top 3 lines are pretty deep

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Shroeder

Hansen-Burrows-Higgins

That 3rd line is a typical shutdown line that has good speed and has the proven ability to put up points. Which is magnificent to have in the playoffs.

Should we play Burrows on the third line? Thoughts?

Of course he could, and if he did, that could perhaps solve some of the lineup "issues" and we would really have a good top 9

IMO Kesler is a given on the second line. When healthy, one of our top producers must be in the top 6 and play top 6 minutes. I don´t think Schroeder is ready nor does he have the skill to play top 6 minutes as 2C.

I know in desperation we used Burrows for a few weeks at center last year. Burrows put in a good effort and played ok defensively, but did not accomplish much else. To my knowledge, other than that he has no history as a center?

And we have a great role for him. I like a 2knd line, shut down line of;

Booth, Kesler, Burrows

Burrows will help add offense and grit and glue, Booth is a stud athlete with good speed at 212 odd lbs. We could debate why Booth all day, but the bottom line is the ability to go toe to toe with big line ups. Also to score goals. But why move Burrows to center???

We signed Santorelli and Richardson, both whom are better than Ebbet and capable (at worst) in a pinch of playing 3rd line. But the 3rd line center is begging for one of our recent 1st round blue chip center's to grab. Most likely Schroeder...

And we might even lack more depth at wing than the well reported 3C opening. Even including Danny, we were actually very low in scoring by wings last year. Converting our 2knd best winger to a pivot makes no sense to me at all... :sadno:

Guest Pinchin

I would only consider Bur as a center if he came out and expressed a desire to be a center and had the confidence he could be effective. I give this a 0.4% chance of happening and even that may be a little high.

I haven't read everything here, but this is how I setup our top 9 guys.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Zack Kassian

The twins are proven, Kassian have been great with the twins at the beginning of the previous season, so we have a good "1st line" here.

David Booth - Ryan Kesler - Alexandre Burrows

We have to give Booth a second chance, hope he'll be able to stay healthy and get 50 to 60 points, like what a 2nd line player should get. Burrows and Kesler, here we have a proven chemistry, great 2-way players I want to see that line agaisnt the opponent top line, so with the offensive touch of Booth, the opponent top line won't be often in the plus. Add to that we have two gritty players on that line.

Christopher Higgins - Jordan Schroeder - Jannik Hansen

Higgins and Hansen are good 2-way players, they have above average offensive skills. I think it's what best we can offer to Schroeder for now. His playmaker ability will be usefull because if he make a good pass to one of his winger, it can hit the back of the net. If he make a mistake those two can cover him for sure. We will have a 3rd line with speed and think about that, they will play probably play agaisnt the bottom 6 fowards and the 3rd d-men pair. Taking all those things in consideration, we would have a 3rd line that could get between 40 to 50 points, our 3rd line would score like a second line on weak team.

To those who want to see Schroeder getting good quality minutes, nothing say we wouldn't get on our powerplay the twins with Ryan on our first unit and Jordan could be between David and Alexandre.

I disagree, in fact I think without kess in a full shutdown roll we have no hope to win a cup. Kess has played his best hockey as a shutdown center and its the roll best suited for him. He is great at scoring off the rush and capitalizing on teams mistakes he's the best option we have. He will still be one of our leaders on the team in points his roll just needs to be set and torts needs to find the best times to get him out.

Archived