The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3rd Line Center is Horvat's to Lose: Here is why!

Go Go Canucks Go

I hope you guys can finally see the contrast between playing against Jrs and playing against men.

The beginning of the tread is all

Horvat looks soooo good in the young stars tournament he is soooo making the team.

After we see him play against men.

Its all Horvat is probably 2 yrs away.

We must remember that Horvat isn't controlled by the thumb of a Nerd.

this is real life and it's a giant leap for him.

The 3 C Spot is going to be telling as to how committed the Canucks are towards letting our young guys play. In all honesty Richardson or another vet we grab would be the most effective player to plug in right now. That being said, playing with Higgins and Hansen isn't the worst opportunity to plug in a young guy and allow them to grow a bit.

If the Canucks "mean it" they will play a young guy over Richardson.

I hope you guys can finally see the contrast between playing against Jrs and playing against men.

The beginning of the tread is all

Horvat looks soooo good in the young stars tournament he is soooo making the team.

After we see him play against men.

Its all Horvat is probably 2 yrs away.

We must remember that Horvat isn't controlled by the thumb of a Nerd.

this is real life and it's a giant leap for him.

Horvat had some good scrimmages, prospect tourney was outstanding performance. He looks ready for the 3rd line C spot but it might be better for his development to go back have a chance to win the Memorial Cup and the World Juniors.

I get what op is saying but it Schroeder to lose because it gonna stunt horvot development to play so soon in the nhl and Schroeder is coming off sugery but has one year experience due this Schroeder is my pick for 3c also I really like his defender last year and gaunce needs 1-2 years more to blossom

I get what op is saying but it Schroeder to lose because it gonna stunt horvot development to play so soon in the nhl and Schroeder is coming off sugery but has one year experience due this Schroeder is my pick for 3c also I really like his defender last year and gaunce needs 1-2 years more to blossom

Hey, wait a minute... You're actually serious? Oh.

There are many cases of small, 18-year old forwards entering the league and being crushed by big NHL players. I think Horvat is a great player and will be great in the Canucks uniform, but this is not the year for him to step into a role with not much minutes, a serious risk for injury, a steep learning curve, a whole lot of pressure to perform at a 1st rounder level, against OTHER DEFENSIVE AND PHYSICAL THIRD LINERS. Please tell me you were and are joking when you say he'll be a third line centre, let alone that it's his to lose.

If Torts decides that he will, that's okay. Now that I've given my rant, let me tip my hat to how he might be a good third line centre.

A.) He is defensively talented and mindful.

He blocks shots as well as uses positioning to the best of his ability to play a great game without the puck.

B.)He is skillful and has offensive talent.

We need that for Higgins and Hansen, a guy who can compliment their abilities and anchor the line.

C.) Tortorella or another NHL player can take him under their wing.

He could become a lot better with mentorship from Kesler, Higgins, the Sedins, Tortorella, etc.

Main points why he should NOT are:

A.) He's relatively small.

Yes, he might have an NHL ready body and perhaps 6'0" isn't the worst size in the world. But coming in at a small height against bottom six checkers that are way stronger than ANY of his OHL peers, it just won't cut it against our physical rivals down south. Maybe Calgary or Edmonton, but certainly not LA, Anaheim, SJ, Phoenix.

B.) His skating ability is below average.

The larger guys can get away with this, but not a 6'0" 18 year old. He not only needs to keep up with Higgins and Hansen, he also needs the speed to escape checks and burst past slow forwards.

C.) Limited minutes.

For a guy who needs to apply his newly-attained experience against NHL players, he'll be playing a lot less minutes than if he was able to try to outplay OHLers and earn his spot for next year more ahead of his fellow junior players.

I'm on the fence. I'm still more negative about his leap than positive.

My take? Send him down for a year and we'll see next training camp.

Archived