The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3rd Line Center is Horvat's to Lose: Here is why!

Go Go Canucks Go

Horvat was facing juniors just like Gaunce but you have to realize that Horvat won't be deking out these guys and having so much space, being allowed to make fancy passes because the NHL defensemens are too skilled. Gaunce plays a good, safe game that is suited well for the 3rd line center spot.

Though of course you are always so quick to judge that you won't be able to see this. :rolleyes:

Like Bob said, you can't just look at what these kids have to offer right now, but what's best for their development.

I am sure that Horvat is ready to be an NHL 3rd line center, but the question becomes whether that is the best course of development for Horvat to reach his maximum potential.

Horvat already plays a complete defensive game, and his added size makes him NHL-ready. But rushing him into the NHL to play 3rd line may hinder his offensive creativity which can still improve. Going back to junior would allow Horvat to further develop his offensive game and become a very dominant player in the future.

That's why although I think Horvat could play 3rd line minutes in the NHL, we should send him back to develop his offensive skill -because he can be even better than he is now and that extra year of playing with an offensive mind could be the difference between Horvat panning out to be a #1 center and a #2 center.

Ryan O'Reilly made the team in his first year as a second round pick, and he's doing just fine. I think Horvat will not only be fine but excell and actually make the team better with that youthful energy

Play in the World Cup Juniors and captain your junior team with a good chance to contend for a Memorial Cup

or

maybe play 10 minutes a night in the NHL when it is questionable he should ever be thrown in with men at such a young age,at all.

I would give the third line to Gaunce and let him grow into the NHL. He already has most of the tools, plus the intangibles. Makes a very good checking-line centre. Set two speedy wingers like Schroeder and Raymond (who should be signed), and they can cover for Gaunce's lack of speed and his offensive prowess can be tapped into.

Jordan Schroeder is our #1 draft pick from 2009 and he needs to play in the NHL at this point. He can still be sent down without waivers so we could send him down but he needs a shot . He will be 23 years old . If we have no space for him , lets trade the kid to a team that does so he has a chance to have a career.

Horvat can play in the NHL right now. This is how good he really is. But ..............do the canucks need him to step into that role right now and burn a year of his ELC? My bet is if he can honestly help the hockey team on a full time basis, then yes.

Jensen looked good in spots but he is riddled with consistency issues. I hope he continues to improve in Utica.

Archived