The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Petition For Referendum On Marijuana Decriminalization Update

DonLever

VANCOUVER -- B.C.’s marijuana advocates hope to collect half a million signatures as part of a 90-day campaign, launching Monday, that aims to force a provincial referendum on decriminalizing pot possession.

Dana Larsen, founder of Sensible B.C., said 1,500 volunteers will begin canvassing the province this week to drum up public support for a referendum on the so-called Sensible Policing Act, which would prohibit police in B.C. from searching and arresting adults for possession of marijuana.

The draft legislation, penned by Larsen, also suggests that unlawful possession and use of cannabis by minors should be an offence treated in the same fashion as underage possession and use of alcohol, while demanding the federal government repeal marijuana prohibition or give B.C. an exemption so it can tax and regulate cannabis like it does alcohol and tobacco.

It also calls for a commission to devise a regulatory and taxation framework for a marijuana market in B.C.

Larsen acknowledged that decriminalization of marijuana would require changes in federal law, but said the draft B.C. legislation would “set us on the path to a legally regulated system.”

The group, which hopes to recruit a total of 4,000 volunteers, has 90 days to collect signatures from 10 per cent of registered voters in each of B.C.’s 85 electoral districts to trigger a referendum in September 2014.

“(The province) would have to have a vote or they can introduce our bill into the Legislature or kill it. There’s certainly immense public pressure to have a vote,” Larsen said. “I’m pretty confident we’ll go to a referendum.”

An Angus Reid poll in April that found 73 per cent of B.C. respondents support further research into the regulation and taxation of pot. It also comes after public referendums in the U.S. states of Colorado and Washington, which have legalized marijuana possession.

Larsen estimates B.C. taxpayers will shell out about $50 million over the next four years, just to detain and charge pot smokers, if something isn’t done.

Over the past decade, possession charges increased 88 per cent across the province from 2,004 charges in 2002 to 3,774 charges in 2011, according to a crime trends report released last October by the police services division of the B.C. Ministry of Justice. Of those, about 1,200 are convicted every year.

“We’re spending $10 million a year in B.C. to arrest and convict marijuana users,” Larsen said. “The odds are you aren’t going to get charged with marijuana possession, but it takes a lot of police resources.”

Delegates at the Canadian Association of Police Chiefs, led by Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu, last month suggested it would reduce policing and court costs if police could hand out tickets for illegal possession of small amounts of marijuana, such as less than 30 grams, rather than laying criminal charges.

Neil Boyd, head of Simon Fraser University’s School of Criminology, agreed that the increase in marijuana possession charges is a significant concern, noting that it’s almost treated as a “vagrancy offence” with police targeting people in open spaces, usually youths, who then end up with a criminal record and can’t work or travel across the border.

He maintains taxation and regulation are the answer to dealing with gangs and violence related to marijuana, but noted the Sensible BC approach may be a reasonable way to get the province to take the first steps in dealing with the issue rather than waiting for the federal government.

He said the province does have the constitutional power to prohibit police from prosecuting or laying charges for minor pot possession because of scarce police resources.

Plus, he said, there is a discrepancy across Metro Vancouver as to how the laws are enforced. He said most marijuana possession charges are laid by the RCMP with the Vancouver Police only laying charges in extreme situations. The number of times the VPD recommended stand-alone possession charges fell from 34 in 2006 to just six in 2010.

“It doesn’t solve the problem at all in terms of the black market or violence of the trade,” Boyd said, but added: “I like the idea of the police not wasting resources. It’s a very expensive and time-consuming operation to charge and convict people for possession of cannabis.”

Boyd added he expects marijuana will likely be decriminalized within five years in Canada, if U.S. states continue to legalize marijuana. B.C.’s municipal leaders last year voted to lobby the “appropriate government to decriminalize marijuana and research the regulation and taxation of marijuana.”

In Washington, adults can buy up to an ounce of pot at state-licensed marijuana growers and retail stores. Colorado will allow adults over 21 to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, but using the drug publicly would still be banned. The two U.S. states aim to address cannabis-impaired driving and channel the new revenue into health care, education and public safety.

“If we start to get the majority of U.S. states legalizing it, it will all be over soon anyway,” Boyd said. “I don’t think prohibition can be sustained

Can't tell if trolling but I know this is a commonly held view

I don't smoke weed, drink or even smoke cigs (that won't change even if decriminalized) but I don't think you need to do any to see the sense in decriminalization. It's not to glorify the choice at all but to minimize harm and wasted resources

Please don't be mislead by the first comment by Heisenberg.

Read DonLever's article and (if you feel so) click through to the petition linked by theminister.

We (hopefully) all know it's right that this oddity known as pot prohibition is from another era. Smoke if you smoke, don't if you don't, but please help to stop the persecution.

Please don't be mislead by the first comment by Heisenberg.

Read DonLever's article and (if you feel so) click through to the petition linked by theminister.

We (hopefully) all know it's right that this oddity known as pot prohibition is from another era. Smoke if you smoke, don't if you don't, but please help to stop the persecution.

No, I have never once smoked weed, never been offered or been around it and that's just fine with me. I have seen stories on what pot does I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise. It is illegal for a reason, because it is not safe to use.

I am against any form of dicriminalization.

Archived