The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

The fact of the matter is that before his ELC is up, there will be rumours of some KHL club willing to offer him $5 Million per season.

I would rather sleep peacefully at night knowing that our good Canadian kid, while maybe possessing less raw talent, will not be considering playing anywhere else but the NHL.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the 'Oh well lets wait and see 3 years down the road...' That is such a cope out. No doubt that we lost out on the better player here. 2 way players are literally a dime a dozen. Said before and I'll say it again. In three years Nichuhkin will still be in the NHL and Mike Gillis wont be.

This is the first post of yours that I can recall reading, but if you had any amount of credibility, you lost it here.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the 'Oh well lets wait and see 3 years down the road...' That is such a cope out. No doubt that we lost out on the better player here. 2 way players are literally a dime a dozen. Said before and I'll say it again. In three years Nichuhkin will still be in the NHL and Mike Gillis wont be.

I don't think it will take 3 years down the road, he was close to making the team this year. Horvat is not only a '2-way player'. He has fantastic vision and can score clutch goals. He makes the players around him better players. Do you call Bergeron and Kesler dime a dozen players?

Nichuskin > Horvat

Both great players. Kesler-Nichuskin would of been a treat.

A future line of Kassian - Gaunce - Nichuskin would of been sweet. Two big PWF's on the wing, and a big shutdown forward down the middle.

Hell, Hodgson-Nichuskin would of been of the deadliest duo's in the league if the Kassian trade wasn't done.

Nichuskin > Horvat

A future line of Kassian - Gaunce - Nichuskin would of been sweet. Two big PWF's on the wing, and a big shutdown forward down the middle.

Hell, Hodgson-Nichuskin would of been of the deadliest duo's in the league if the Kassian trade wasn't done.

The last thing Kesler needs is another shooter/sniper with him. Kes is a shoot first guy and isn't much of a playmaker though he has the capabilities.

Booth-Kesler-Higgins never worked because they were all guys who wanted the puck on their stick...it's not a coincidence Kesler developed the most when Sundin was his linemate cause Sundin is a passer and compliments Keslers style of play...last year even Schroeder made Kesler play better so the last thing we'd want is Nich to play with Kes.

And from the looks of things, Gaunce won't be a 1st line centre and has looked like a career 2nd line centre but that can obviously change over a few years. Horvat is much better than Gaunce at centre and he brings versatility as it can allows Gaunce/Horvat to play wing which they have experience at.

The last thing Kesler needs is another shooter/sniper with him. Kes is a shoot first guy and isn't much of a playmaker though he has the capabilities.

Booth-Kesler-Higgins never worked because they were all guys who wanted the puck on their stick...it's not a coincidence Kesler developed the most when Sundin was his linemate cause Sundin is a passer and compliments Keslers style of play...last year even Schroeder made Kesler play better so the last thing we'd want is Nich to play with Kes.

And from the looks of things, Gaunce won't be a 1st line centre and has looked like a career 2nd line centre but that can obviously change over a few years. Horvat is much better than Gaunce at centre and he brings versatility as it can allows Gaunce/Horvat to play wing which they have experience at.

Nichuskin is highly skilled. You want him to pass? He'll pass.

Kesler can pass too. He's had a 50 assist season. I watched him play that year closely. That was perhaps his best season. His 40 goal season was good, but he barely used his line-mates.

Semin was always known to be a deadly sniper. He goes to Carolina and plays with centerman Eric Staal, one of the best sniper centerman in the league. He showcased his amazing playmaking ability last year.

Kesler and Nichuskin would be a great fit. It's not as simple as adding Martin St.Louis to Kesler's line. Kesler should adapt, and his linemates too. Taking shots everytime you enter the zone is not a good way to produce offense.

I think Kesler needs some with some actual skill on his line to keep defenders on their toes. When you have had Raymond, Higgins, Booth, Hansen, Tambellini, Samuelsson, Kassian as your wingers for the last 3 years, you're bound to be struggling to produce at times.

He's not a pure sniper like some people think here.

His 40 goal season he was shooting at a 15.8% rate. His career average is 11.9%.

Once again Kesler will have poor linemates. Kassian will likely not see time with the Sedins IMO, which puts Burrows back up there. Booth and Higgins/Hansen will be his linemates once again. :(

Plus I think your forgetting about Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Mallet as they are all our top prospects and wingers which doesn't really give us room for Nich....you can have as many wingers as you like but if they aren't anchored by a good centre, it won't be nearly as effective with one.

Kassian - Horvat - Shinkaruk

Mallet/Schroeder - Gaunce - Jensen

>

Kassian - Gaunce - Nichuskin

Mallet/Schroeder - ??? - Jensen

...I'd take having 2 top centres over 1 centre anytime, anyday; not a coincidence the top teams/recent Cup winners (since the lockout) in the league are the best...what do they all have in common? Good, solid centres to anchor a line.

Penguins have Crosby & Malkin. Kings have Kopitar & Richards, Bruins have Bergeron & Krejci, Chicago has Toews & now Pirri, Detroit has Datsyuk & now Weiss....having locked up our futures top 2 centres is far more valuable than leaving a gaping hole there.

Plus I think your forgetting about Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Mallet as they are all our top prospects and wingers....you can have as many wingers as you like but if they aren't anchored by a good centre, it won't be nearly as effective with one.

Kassian - Horvat - Shinkaruk

Mallet/Schroeder - Gaunce - Jensen

>

Kassian - Gaunce - Nichuskin

Mallet/Schroeder - ??? - Jensen

...I'd take having 2 top centres over 1 centre anytime, anyday; not a coincidence the top teams/recent Cup winners (since the lockout) in the league are the best...what do they all have in common? Good, solid centres to anchor a line.

Penguins have Crosby & Malkin. Kings have Kopitar & Richards, Bruins have Bergeron & Krejci, Chicago has Toews & now Pirri, Detroit has Datsyuk & now Weiss....having locked up our futures top 2 centres is far more valuable than leaving a gaping hole there.

The problem is that team wont be a contender. Nichuskin is NHL ready, and going to make a big impact. He'll be making his presence felt while the Sedins + Kesler are still in their prime. Horvat will be making a big impact when Sedins are likely retired.

The problem is that team wont be a contender. Nichuskin is NHL ready, and going to make a big impact. He'll be making his presence felt while the Sedins + Kesler are still in their prime. Horvat will be making a big impact when Sedins are likely retired.

We can speculate all we want but you have to take this into consideration when you say he is "NHL ready"

Dallas= Average team

Canucks= Competitive / considered one the top teams in the NHL...

Pretty sure ts easier to make an average team with not much depth than a team that has depth at every position.

...and this can easily be proved right; how well did Shinkaruk play this pre-season? He was excellent, arguably the best player yet he never made it...if he's on Dallas, he is NHL ready and if Nich is on Vancouver, he isn't NHL ready, same goes for Horvat.

Nichuskin > Horvat

All this before he's even played a pro game.

Don't think Coho would be able to keep up with Nich's flying down the ice style. Deadliest duels in the league :sick:

You think he will be a big impact player. Why don't you wait until he plays a regular season game against some top D pairings, or how he reacts to cheap shots.

More Canadian Heart MORE chance to win.....

Bure was an exception, he was out to prove a point & did he ever...Never be another BURE....

Nichuskin is going to have a RUDE AWAKENING when he faces real men like Weber, Chara, Seabrook, Kronwall, Scuderi, Willie Mitchel, PK Subban, Jared Cowan, JUST to name a FEW.........

And yea you can say so far, Nich has more raw talent but let me ask you - who would you rather want? An Ovechkin type player (raw talented winger) or a Toews type player (all around good solid play, 2-way centre)? Fair comparison, let's say Nich becomes Ovie standard and Horvat becomes Toews standard.

Anyone who has the slightest bit of hockey sense would pick Toews all day over Ovie...with all due respect to Ovie (He is 'better' than Toews and is a league wide threat), but again, Horvat is a centre, Nich is a winger and because of that, Horvat brings more to the table. Centres in general are far more valuable than wingers and are anchors to any line; you can't say that about wingers. Case in point, top centres can make average wingers look good but top wingers cannot make average centres look good just because it's not going to happen lol.

Crosby makes Dupuis look like a sniper, Datsyuk has made Abdelkader a PPG player, Thorton made Cheechoo a Rocket Richard winner, Eric Staal made Tlusty a top scorer, Ribeiro has made anyone he's played with look 10x better than they are, and so on....

You haven't seen Evander Kane make Bryan Little look like a star, Kessel hasn't made Bozak look like a 1st line C, Doan hasn't made Hanzal look like a top 20 pick, Radulov didn't make Wilson good, Filatov didn't make any of his centres look good, etc.

...it isn't even close. A good 2-way centre >>> a "raw talented" winger; case in point: Ovie-Toews scenario and how centres make wingers look good while wingers can't make cantres look good.

Funny you say that since I always wanted the Canucks to draft Kopitar before the draft happened similar to Nischuskin who I think might be the next Kopitar only on the wing. I like Horvat too but I wanted Nischushkin before the draft and I thought the Canucks traded into top 10 to get him since Horvat wasn't even in my radar.

Kopitar would have = cup.

And yea you can say so far, Nich has more raw talent but let me ask you - who would you rather want? An Ovechkin type player (raw talented winger) or a Toews type player (all around good solid play, 2-way centre)? Fair comparison, let's say Nich becomes Ovie standard and Horvat becomes Toews standard.

Anyone who has the slightest bit of hockey sense would pick Toews all day over Ovie...with all due respect to Ovie (He is 'better' than Toews and is a league wide threat), but again, Horvat is a centre, Nich is a winger and because of that, Horvat brings more to the table. Centres in general are far more valuable than wingers and are anchors to any line; you can't say that about wingers. Case in point, top centres can make average wingers look good but top wingers cannot make average centres look good just because it's not going to happen lol.

Crosby makes Dupuis look like a sniper, Datsyuk has made Abdelkader a PPG player, Thorton made Cheechoo a Rocket Richard winner, Eric Staal made Tlusty a top scorer, Ribeiro has made anyone he's played with look 10x better than they are, and so on....

You haven't seen Evander Kane make Bryan Little look like a star, Kessel hasn't made Bozak look like a 1st line C, Doan hasn't made Hanzal look like a top 20 pick, Radulov didn't make Wilson good, Filatov didn't make any of his centres look good, etc.

...it isn't even close. A good 2-way centre >>> a "raw talented" winger; case in point: Ovie-Toews scenario and how centres make wingers look good while wingers can't make cantres look good.

Kovalchuk made Todd White a 70 point center.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=15445

Kovalchuk made Rich Peverley a point per game player. (35 pts in 39gp)

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=54871

Kovalchuk made Bryan Little a 30 goal scorer.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=76840

Why are you bringing up Datsyuk, Thornton, and Crosby? Those guys are generation talents... Of course they will make people better.

Abdelkader is not a PPG player btw. He had 13 pts in 48 games.

Evander Kane doesn't play with Bryan Little...

Doan himself isn't even that good, how do you expect him to make Hanzal; a player suited for a 3rd line checking shutdown role good?

Archived