The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

We went off the board in a safe draft.

Honestly stop worrying about this. We have the ability and capacity to groom our next captain in Horvat, or draft and throw a guy; who wouldn't do the combine, has a seriously limited body of work to go with and no real playoffs in Nicushkin.

I wanted Nicushkin and was shocked when we drafted Bo instead, but while we could have gone for pure offense, we already have a core that is one of the highest scoring teams in the league in a normal year.

What we don't have is a clutch guy not named Burrows or Kesler for the playoffs or a future captain which is where Horvat comes in.

Nicushkin may be the better player between the two, but if we are relying on one player to elevate their game to win us the cup instead of a player that can elevate a team like Horvat seems able to do than I think our odds of winning that cup anyways are far sighted.

We picked Horvat, Gillis will live or die by that and the Hodgson move.

So once again let us revisit this in a few years and see.

Exactly and Bo is a leader has won at the level he plays. He's a center. He was the better pick by a stretch I'd take any of those guys over a flashy 1 dimension winger.

ya I was thinking that the other day too. if they were the same age who would you take? ovechkin or toews?

ovechkin-0 cup rings. better offensive talent. captain that I think shouldn't be. zero defence abilities.

toews-2 cup rings. one of he youngest captains. offensive ability (not like ovi obviously) defensive guru.

the choice is clear

They are both going to be good players. The question is Nichushkin vs Horvat for this team and this roster, and a game breaking winger with elite scoring ability and size is absolutely 100% the pick that should have been made. It's only the need we've had for 10 years.

And terrific third line centre with great defensive abilities and an offensive upside is right up there in terms of team need. Regardless, when we drafted Schneider, we were in massive need of goaltending depth. By the time he was ready for the show we really didn't even have the need anymore. Just a demonstration that you never know what the situation will be three to four years down the line when you expect the player to have an impact. Anyone that thinks that drafting Nichushkin to add that last piece of the puzzle for that final push to finally capture the Stanley cup is about three years late. We still have a shot no doubt but anyone that doesn't think the team is pushing towards at very least a mini rebuild (or reload) hasn't been paying attention lately.

We went off the board in a safe draft.

Honestly stop worrying about this. We have the ability and capacity to groom our next captain in Horvat, or draft and throw a guy; who wouldn't do the combine, has a seriously limited body of work to go with and no real playoffs in Nicushkin.

I wanted Nicushkin and was shocked when we drafted Bo instead, but while we could have gone for pure offense, we already have a core that is one of the highest scoring teams in the league in a normal year.

What we don't have is a clutch guy not named Burrows or Kesler for the playoffs or a future captain which is where Horvat comes in.

Nicushkin may be the better player between the two, but if we are relying on one player to elevate their game to win us the cup instead of a player that can elevate a team like Horvat seems able to do than I think our odds of winning that cup anyways are far sighted.

We picked Horvat, Gillis will live or die by that and the Hodgson move.

So once again let us revisit this in a few years and see.

Good call. And perhaps if we didn't ignore his injury concerns thanks to our dumb ass former coach he may have been less disgruntled. Besides, he has now been played into Kassian so it's not like the judgement bus has left the station.

And terrific third line centre with great defensive abilities and an offensive upside is right up there in terms of team need. Regardless, when we drafted Schneider, we were in massive need of goaltending depth. By the time he was ready for the show we really didn't even have the need anymore. Just a demonstration that you never know what the situation will be three to four years down the line when you expect the player to have an impact. Anyone that thinks that drafting Nichushkin to add that last piece of the puzzle for that final push to finally capture the Stanley cup is about three years late. We still have a shot no doubt but anyone that doesn't think the team is pushing towards at very least a mini rebuild (or reload) hasn't been paying attention lately.

You obviously don't read so good. If we're rebuilding than we should have traded everyone over 30, clearly we are not. 1 trade doesn't equal a reload, retool or anything else. Gillis' actions clearly show he's still going for it by keeping this team together, but he knows 1 more mistake means his job so he didn't have the balls to risk the russian factor.

For the record, I agree that this team's window is closed but either rebuild or go for it. This on the fence crap doesn't work, ask the Flames.

They are different players. I would have been fine with picking either.

Bo is only getting flak becuase of the high price tag. He should be fine and I for one (even though I prefrred Cory in net) am happy how Gillis managed to restock our youth pool so heavily in one fell swoop.

I think people are also forgetting with the pick up of horvat and cassels this allows Canucks to focus heavy on wingers in this year's draft. They have built great defense depth and now added to center depth in the last 2 years it's time to build depth on the wing.

I think the current state of the system allows them to take BPA regardless of position.

It's a long way to the 2014 draft and we have no idea where we will pick or who will be available.

Archived