The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

The fact that Dallas acquired Gonchar before the draft indicates (to me, wearing my tinfoil hat) that they knew they were getting Nichushkin. That the draft was (perhaps) rigged. (Again.)

They hope Gonchar mentors Nichushkin like he did Malkin. We have nobody to mentor him. So when we passed on him, I was only moderately surprised. When Dallas picked him up, I was like, 'Ahhh, of course.'

Did we pick the wrong player again?

While Horvat looked impressive in the young guns tournament, he wasn't very noticeable in his first pre-season action, while Nichushkin... scored 2 goals and had 9 O.o shots, a hit, and 2 blocked shots in his first game.

I realize it's incredibly early, but what a way to make a first impression.

Ya we should take these Russian boys because they can't take off to Russia soon as they get upset?

How in gods name is the Draft Rigged TOMaplelaughs???

Curious on how you put that together...

Also, although I agree with OP that its a good way to play your first game...

This Topic based on 1 game is an extremely poor assessment on which pick was the wrong choice...

FABIAN BRUNNSTROM comes to mind lol

Despite the fact that it's way to early to tell if either are a good pick, for the sake of argument, what criteria are we using to evaluate them? 2 completely different players.

Gauce, Jensen, and Horvat are not giving me much hope for the future like some other posters on this site. Now Shinkaruk, that kid is something, but he was a no brainer pick and a bit of a fluke he dropped down to us. I still stand by my statement that Gillis cannot draft or trade effectively.

It's hard to judge russian prospects because of the KHL factor.  Valeri may well be better than horvat, but then he could also bolt to the KHL at any time.

If I am a GM I am worrying about my job this year, not on what some prospect can do 3 years down the road. There's a good chance Gillis wont even be employed by then anyways. And how many noteworthy Russians have bolted? Only one I can think of is Radulov and playing in that system(Nashville) who can blame him? Why do people assume every Russian is going to bolt? Don't treat them like crap, play them with crap players on a crap system and they won't feel the need to leave.

If I am a GM I am worrying about my job this year, not on what some prospect can do 3 years down the road. There's a good chance Gillis wont even be employed by then anyways. And how many noteworthy Russians have bolted? Only one I can think of is Radulov and playing in that system(Nashville) who can blame him? Why do people assume every Russian is going to bolt? Don't treat them like crap, play them with crap players on a crap system and they won't feel the need to leave.

That's the great thing about Mike Gillis. He's willing to put his ass on the line in order to preserve the future of the team.

Also Ilya Kovalchuk is another.

How in gods name is the Draft Rigged TOMaplelaughs???

Curious on how you put that together...

How is the draft rigged? Fairly easily, actually.

The better question would be why. And imho it's to help promote the game in the south. Dallas needs some help in getting some fans back and if this guy pans out quickly, yay for them. Horvat will be a good, do-everything centerman, but it's going to take more time. Anyway, pure tinfoil talk. Means nothing, so carry on.

How many?

Kovalev, Radulov, Kostitsyn Kostitsyn....KOVALCHUK. More than a few and of course the number of holdouts we don't hear about in the prospects dept

Why do people assume they'll bolt? They make an obscene amount of tax free money to play at home. Like telling Crosby he'll make $20 million a year to only play in Canada and nowhere else tax free....he takes the money and runs

Nichushkin might be able to score goals in one game during the pre season but can he score big goals when the playoffs arrive? Who knows about Russians, they are just as likely to head back to Russia like Kovalchuk.

I like Bo Horvat, this kid is going to be a complete 2 way centre. When Shinkaruk and Jensen get a bit of seasoning, they will provide the scoring and all the MG doubters will be happy once again.

Scott Gomez received $7+ million a year.

How worth it was he again? Maybe we should have asked Montreal what they wanted for him before the buyout.....I mean he would have been the better player right?

Not what I said. Getting 7 and being worth 7 are not equal. Read, comprehend, then comment instead of being an idiot and jumping to conclusions.

It's hard to judge russian prospects because of the KHL factor. Valeri may well be better than horvat, but then he could also bolt to the KHL at any time.

So can any player, the KHL isn't a Russian only league. If an agent sees a chance to make some real coin he is going to discuss it with his client.

When we made the trade I was filled with school girl jitters, thought we were gona take Valeri, no just assumed, then when we announce horvat i sank in to a small rage calling for gillis head on a brazilian soccer game spike for all to see, A little excessive yes but Valeri looked like a guy you could plug into our top six this season which is in desperate need of secondary scoring and a more prominent physical presence.

I think Valeri could have helped our squad immediately whereas Bo if we put him in this year it will limit his future offensive potential as he never got a chance to light up the OHL offensively yet and learn it at that level.

I am not against having Bo on our team, kid will be a stud and he is the kinda guy you win championships with, but at this time we have our guy like that and its Kesler, we needed a big physical skilled winger to help our team now, we should have gone for it, and taken the risk I still think.

He draws comparisons to a cross between Malkin and Rick Nash, imagine that along side the sedins..

Just sayin, still nonetheless we got a great prospect who will be a leader on our team in years to come, and to who will have the better career, and salary value etc, is all up in the air. No one can say anything for sure.

And his first preseason game although promising doesnt meen anything yet, visit Sergei Shirokov

Archived