The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Comets 2-5 Oilers

JE14

First NHL goal, ties the game, nice goal at that. Yak's goal was with less than 5 minutes left with his team already winning. Remember last year when he did that stupid celebration in the final game of the regular season weeks after the Oilers were eliminated?

Can't wait until the final game of the season between the Canucks and the Oilers, with the fans celebrating they beat us even though their team is already eliminated from the playoffs.

You do realize that most of the regulars have said they have not even been practicing special teams nor done much on-ice work of their systems - yet?

When is Torts gonna actually prepare the "chosen" team...to effectively play in the 1st game of the regular season? Sounds like Tortorella is being pretty self-indulgent with his time evaluating the 'Nucks talent. Contract situations should aid in determining the majority of the starting line-up. He can easily send-down or sit under-achievers later & prep the young'uns in Utica to bring-in for motivation AFTER...they've learned the new systems. Young-stars like Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen & Corrado...should stay-up for the duration of the pre-season schedule.

Torts seems to be doing some things ass-backwards. By delaying the practice of systems & special teams...he's risking the ove-all health, happiness, confidence & preparation of his team. I'm a fence-sitter on Tortorella's effectiveness here in VAN...'cuz, yes - it's very early still. But so far....his methods (player fatigue, injuries & lack of systems preparation) haven't been impressing me much.

Get it in gear, Torts!

That post is more revealing of your inexperience with team building than it is a commentary on Torts. He's building a culture of true meritocracy where a nobody from the ECHL or NCAA has the ability to come out and play hard every night and earn a roster spot. Do you know what that does to the performance of the Comets? They get real hope, not a feeling like they're killing time, waiting in line for a spot that may never open up. And that drives the Canucks players to outplay them every night and forge a team built on success within the organization.

What you say also doesn't apply to the last game. In game 1 and 2, he was simply evaluating. Last game he wanted players chasing down the puck. He didn't care about some odd man rushes so that's why they did. He still hasn't put the systems in place to sustain that pressure and counter the opponent's transition but that wasn't the point. He wants to break the team out of the AV-instilled mentality of being afraid to take chances offensively because you'll get benched if it backfires. He's banking on the idea that our guys are more afraid to generate offense than unable.

I think he's right. Last season saw a lot of goals coming from promising, talented individual efforts because AV had so much of the team sitting back. I was blown away by some of the skill and creativity shown but that was never encouraged by the defense-first system. The skill is there but the mentality has to change. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more run and gun than anyone expected coming from Torts. This team has a mean transition game that hasn't been used for 2 seasons (and no it's not gone because we gave up Ehrhoff). Bring that back and combine it with a proper collapsing defense and we'll go from dark horse to contender in no time.

Good question, Torts seems defensive minded and it's not like we acquired a big name sniper. Makes me think there will be a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 wins this year. If anything I think an increase of goals would be the result of our players playing harder under Torts because he demands it. Maybe someone can clear me up on Torts coaching style, I don't pay attention to NYR.

That post is more revealing of your inexperience with team building than it is a commentary on Torts. He's building a culture of true meritocracy where a nobody from the ECHL or NCAA has the ability to come out and play hard every night and earn a roster spot. Do you know what that does to the performance of the Comets? They get real hope, not a feeling like they're killing time, waiting in line for a spot that may never open up. And that drives the Canucks players to outplay them every night and forge a team built on success within the organization.

What you say also doesn't apply to the last game. In game 1 and 2, he was simply evaluating. Last game he wanted players chasing down the puck. He didn't care about some odd man rushes so that's why they did. He still hasn't put the systems in place to sustain that pressure and counter the opponent's transition but that wasn't the point. He wants to break the team out of the AV-instilled mentality of being afraid to take chances offensively because you'll get benched if it backfires. He's banking on the idea that our guys are more afraid to generate offense than unable.

I think he's right. Last season saw a lot of goals coming from promising, talented individual efforts because AV had so much of the team sitting back. I was blown away by some of the skill and creativity shown but that was never encouraged by the defense-first system. The skill is there but the mentality has to change. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more run and gun than anyone expected coming from Torts. This team has a mean transition game that hasn't been used for 2 seasons (and no it's not gone because we gave up Ehrhoff). Bring that back and combine it with a proper collapsing defense and we'll go from dark horse to contender in no time.

Archived