The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Reviewing Weise's Hit / Kassian's High Stick

Drouin

As Canucks fans, we really don't want Kassian to get a suspension for this. If he ends up with one, then he's a repeat offender and he'll be made an example of at some point when it actually matters. The fact that it's an in person hearing is not good news.

Weise on the other hand, Jesus. He took a run at Hall's head. It's fairly blatant in that GIF. I'd also put money on it that he left his feet. What a dumb hit to try and make, let alone during the preseason. 2 games would be warranted.

On a side note, keep your bloody head up for once Hall.

Vancouver Canucks forward Zack Kassian had a 10-minute phone hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan on Monday, making his case for the league not to suspend him.

Kassian was called to the carpet after his high stick made contact with Edmonton Oilers centre Sam Gagner in Saturday night's game, breaking Gagner's jaw.

Gagner and Kassian collided along the boards, with Kassian's stick knocking out some of Gagner's teeth. X-rays later confirmed Gagner had suffered a broken jaw and Kassian received a double-minor on the play.

"I had no intention of slashing him in the face," Kassian told reporters on Monday after his hearing. "It was definitely accidental and hopefully he gets back sooner than later."

The two teams meet again in Vancouver on Oct. 5 and the Oilers added some more muscle on Monday picking up enforcer Steve MacIntyre off waivers.

"Perfect," Kassian told reporters after being informed of the move. "I don't think he can skate, that's the last thing on our mind."

Canucks forward Dale Weise also had an audience with Shanahan over the phone on Monday after delivering an illegal hit to the head to Oilers centre Taylor Hall. Weise, who did not speak to reporters on Monday, picked up a minor for the incident.

This makes your think that? Just now you say? Open your eyes, it's about $$$ for the league and having expansion teams win... If it were natural, we would see a dynasty take place at least once, and win 2 or 3 cups within 5 years, over the last 15 years... You can see that even quality us teams have been heald back in the playoffs to make sure that yet another fan desperate expansion team wins

I agree it is very good news considering the yesterdays news that it was supposedly going to be an in person hearing. I think he deserves a fine, or a 1 game. Just a little kick in the butt to be more careful next time, especially because it did cause such an awful injury.

Archived