The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Reviewing Weise's Hit / Kassian's High Stick

Drouin

Defending rodent kieth is not advised. He is a joke, a goon, who intentionally injures star players. He's this century's dave Schultz or marty mcsorley.

Weise and the Kass are solid good guys just trying to play the sport. Only biased anti-Canucks people with agendas think there should be a fine or suspension...

I don't get why Kassian would swing his arm around like that, maybe he thought Gagner was closer and since he missed him with his body was trying to knock him with his arm but instead got him with the stick. I don't think it was intention to hit him with the stick but being how careless the hit was, I think he'll be suspended. I would be pretty choked if this happened to anyone on the Canucks. If it was completely reversed, Gagner hitting Kassian like that.. yeah I'd be pissed.

Kassian's high sticking looked accidental, and like someone already posted, if he gets suspended I think it'll be because of the outcome not because of intent. It's unfortunate that he got seriously injured.

Weise's hit did look like intent to injure though, I won't be surprised to see a suspension for it.

One can speculate about how many games, but I would assume both will be suspended with Kassian getting the longer one. I would be surprised if it is less than 3.

Kassian has never been suspended in the NHL before so he can say it was accidental but clearly he is going to get time for it.

The Weise hit is one of those plays where you could make a case for or against suspension, so flip a coin. I will say this, however: Hall seems to have a nasty habit of being in vulnerable positions. I think the hit just ended up ugly for Mr. Weise.

Kassian's play was just stupid. That should be a suspension, 1-3 games. Recklessness + injury = consequences.

This and the Setoguchi hit are the ones I keep going back to as reference And then I think of the two Hall knee on knee incidents and the lack of discipline and I get angry.

There's NO question one or both of them will sit and it's infuriating. The canucks seriously need to stand up to the league on this nonsense if there's anything more than a pre-season game.

Taylor Hall the Darling....might I mention neither of those even got looked at past a 2 game suspension for the knee AFTER the Wild petitioned the league as the league was going to let it slide. As an added note, Taylor Hall skipped the next game against the Wild with an "undisclosed illness"

So Kassian gets an in person hearing? Really? What kind of joke is that it's not like he purposely took a swing at Gagne he was just careless with his stick. We've seen people get skates to the throat that could of ended in fatalities, luckily they didn't, and I don't recall these plays being reviewed or even suspensions and you have much more control over your skate than you do of you stick. I am not saying this isn't suspension worthy but anything over a game is pure nonsense.

Since when is swinging your stick around behind you at face level considered nothing more than finishing a hit!?C'mon people! Take off your bias goggles! Kassian just following through on a hit? I'm a big fan of his but there was no need to swing his stick like that, it was careless and he could have avoided doing it no doubt about it, especially a check he missed by a mile. He should be punished in some way for sure. It was reckless, careless and dangerous, Surely he didn't mean to break a jaw, but it could have been avoided by not swinging his stick around behind him like that. These guys are pros, they have far more control of their sticks than what Kassian showed on that play, he wasn't digging for a puck or following through on a shot. Straight careless, nothing more.

Weiss may have or have not used his elbow, fact of the matter is that the main point of contact was Hall's head, and Hall was in a vulnerable position, even though from Weiss angle and the timing of the hit, it was probably hard to determine that, but rules are rules and they are there to protect the players. It would be surprising if he gets away with it after being reviewed.

Archived