The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013-14 Prospect Points Tracker

you have LaBate listed as LeBate.... and I don't really do fantasy hockey, so I couldn't comment on a fantasy based ranking, but that's not how I'd rank our prospects in terms of current performance/future likelihood to make the NHL, but opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one, and they all stink. :bigblush:

Well that's embarrassing..

I'll fix that right away, I didn't write his profile but I should have noticed.

What would your top 10 be then? Based on quickness to production, offensive upside and certainty. 100% sure third liners don't make it, unless they get massive hit totals (Archibald).

It's only been 2 years since he was drafted. We retain rights for a minimum of 4.

no.

A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents. Pathrik is 21 right now, and was never signed by us, so he's a UFA.

Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player.

Only NCAA players are exemptions (they need to be signed within 30 days of leaving school)

Well that's embarrassing..

I'll fix that right away, I didn't write his profile but I should have noticed.

What would your top 10 be then? Based on quickness to production, offensive upside and certainty. 100% sure third liners don't make it, unless they get massive hit totals (Archibald).

I'm not really sure what you mean by "quickness to production" or "certainty" in this context, but in no particular order:

Horvat

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Cassels

Hutton

LaBate

McNally

Corrado

Subban

Jensen

I wouldn't count Lack or Schroeder as a prospect in this sense, since they are pretty much on the big club already, though schroeder may be sent down when he returns, and if he does he'd take a spot, probably dropping subban

I'm not really sure what you mean by "quickness to production" or "certainty" in this context, but in no particular order:

Horvat

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Cassels

Hutton

LaBate

McNally

Corrado

Subban

Jensen

I wouldn't count Lack or Schroeder as a prospect in this sense, since they are pretty much on the big club already, though schroeder may be sent down when he returns, and if he does he'd take a spot, probably dropping subban

That list looks right to me and in the right order as well in my opinion.

I am starting to think Grenier may have more upside then Jensen though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 1st time looking at this page and, to my surprise, I am VERY impressed by some of the prospects. I can't believe that Dane Fox has racked up 42 goals in 39 games. I never paid much attention to the Major Junior league. How does that league compare to, say the AHL or ECHL? His +/- is incredible. What would be the time frame of seeing some of these guys playing in Utica? One thing I don't see is goalie prospects. Outside of Eriksson and Cannata, who's the bright spot we have lined up in goal? I'll have to pay more attention to this page. According to these stats, there is some pretty impressive talent on the horizon. It's going to be fun to watch

This is my 1st time looking at this page and, to my surprise, I am VERY impressed by some of the prospects. I can't believe that Dane Fox has racked up 42 goals in 39 games. I never paid much attention to the Major Junior league. How does that league compare to, say the AHL or ECHL? His +/- is incredible. What would be the time frame of seeing some of these guys playing in Utica? One thing I don't see is goalie prospects. Outside of Eriksson and Cannata, who's the bright spot we have lined up in goal? I'll have to pay more attention to this page. According to these stats, there is some pretty impressive talent on the horizon. It's going to be fun to watch

46 goals in 40 games now for Fox.

I think there will be a very nice boost to the offense in utica next season. I'm saying that gaunce, fox, shinkaruk, kenins, and mceneny will at least start the season in the A. There are such thing as conversion rates for point production from league to league but I think it's more about the individual than anything. You can find those projections on canucksarmy.com. Anyway those are the 5 that will be going pro next year in my opinion; I think our NCAA prospects will all be in school again. As far as goaltending prospects are concerned, what you see is what we got. We had two others (ilahti and honzik) but they weren't resigned after last season. Ilahti may have been let go the year before last. To me, there are 2 holes in the prospect pool, young goaltending and a real blue chip d-man.

Just looking at cap geek, there are a lot of contracts ending after this year. Really hard to say who gets resigned at this point. There will be some tough calls to make, especially amongst the fringe NHLers and career AHL forwards. This is going to be one of the more exciting off seasons we've seen in a long time.

Ilahti was supposed to come over to the Giants for us to get a better look at him and perhaps develop him better, but that got blocked by his Finnish team or something. We've since let him go, and despite some pretty decent movement he hasn't been amazing or anything to warrant much interest.

Honzak dropped off badly after a hot run coming into the draft, but you're right, beyond Eriksson and Cannata we don't have much talent. Corbeil is signed but not much going on there I don't think, so we'll likely look for another goalie in this draft or from the college route to supplement the good top goalies we have.

It's pretty tough to get a real blue chip D-man drafting at the bottom of the round. You get lucky sometimes, and we have with Corrado and even Hutton who could be at this point, and hopefully we do with Subban as well, but I don't see how we add to that part of our prospect pool without a trade or getting lucky with a signing coming out of college.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye on this thread from now on. It will be exciting to see who comes Utica's way. It's weird to actually think of a "off season" for a change.

You might get some of the guys close to playoffs time.

Especially Kenins, and if they resigned Rodin, he would be eligible too.

Archived