The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The lack of secondary scoring is so glaring...

Lui's Knob

Every team in the league wants a top 6 winger who can score goals consistently...they don't just grow off trees. To get one Gillis will have to give up a quality piece (Edler? Horvat?) If a player that fit our team came at a good price Gillis would have gotten us one a long time ago.

If Gillis does a trade like that, people will start complaining about our poor defensive depth and lack of blue-chip prospects in the system...

It's still early on in the season, I wouldn't worry too much. Yes the Canucks aren't playing up to the standard that the fans expect them to but to be frank the regular season doesn't matter that much. The 8 seed LA Kings were average all year before getting hot in the playoffs; the 2009 Penguins had a terribly average season and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

I know that those situations don't happen often but fans should stop panicking so early into the season. I'm seeing a lot of positives from the Canucks this year. I'm liking the Canucks never-give-up attitude and it's great to see us continue playing hard even when we have a lead.

While Hamhuis has been bad. Edler has really stepped up his game. I'm sure that Hamhuis will be able to find his game soon. Also, Booth has been playing great recently....not to mention we are missing Burrows.

Believe in the Canucks!

Well we've been searching for a winger to play with Kesler since 2008, its nearing 6 years later and were still looking for one. What kind of GM is he then if he cant even make a risky deal to get that top 6 forward. Ottawa lost Alfredson this summer and their GM was proactive and immediately traded for Bobby Ryan who was available all summer. He gave up Silferberg + Noesen and their 2014 1st round pick. MG did not even attempt to trade for a top 6 this off-season, no rumours or report that we even looked to get one.

We don't have a grade A sniper.

We don't have a franchise Dman.

We don't have a franchise goalie any more.

We only have 1 playmaking centre... a good one but 1 is all we have.

We don't have a true enforcer who can play regular minutes.

We have a very good 3C playing 2C.

We have a very good 4C playing 3C.

We don't have anyone who scares other team's D on our forecheck... at least not yet.

It's a miracle we are still a good team.

You're being too kind, That ship has sailed..Chicago, SJ, Pitts, Boston are good teams. We're still the same 1st round TKO's.

so their were no rumors no reports and people like you just assume he was sitting in his chair twiddling his thumbs

i know people have a lack of faith in both this team and it's current GM but people need to realize the cost of a top 6 forward and the fact that this team has a very empty prospect cupboard both in fault of the current GM trading away picks for players no longer on this roster and the previous GM for basically throwing away picks drafting pure garbage

so their were no rumors no reports and people like you just assume he was sitting in his chair twiddling his thumbs

i know people have a lack of faith in both this team and it's current GM but people need to realize the cost of a top 6 forward and the fact that this team has a very empty prospect cupboard both in fault of the current GM trading away picks for players no longer on this roster and the previous GM for basically throwing away picks drafting pure garbage

I think we were kind of hoping that at least one of Coho or Cory would of given us that top 6 we needed.

I think we were kind of hoping that at least one of Coho or Cory would of given us that top 6 we needed.

Still don't understand how the manager of a contending team trades his two most valuable and movable pieces for prospects that would be lucky to reach a level as high as their counterparts.

Kesler, Higgins and Booth all need a change of scenery. Fanstastic players but they've just gone stale. Hamhuis could be included in that mix. That being said, give them another couple of months before we make any huge decisions.

With Gaunce, Horvat and Schroeder coming up we can loose Kesler for a temporary 2nd line center. He has been IMO our worst player so far this season (horrible +/-, one easy goal, nothing else) and Hamhuis is expendable considering how well Garrison is playing, not to mention Tanev and Stanton.

So then why is MG throwing away picks for rentals like Roy? And picks for guys like Pahlsson and Dalpe? What is the point in that?

Coho has been basically played out as a panic move Kassian may turn into a top 6 but who knows really the trade is lopsided at this point

the Cory trade is one people think a top 6 could of been had from this but if you take a look at the recent goalie trades their were no top 6 players or even top 4 defence being traded it was a low-mid level prospect and a 1st round pick ranging anywhere from 10-20

Still don't understand how the manager of a contending team trades his two most valuable and movable pieces for prospects that would be lucky to reach a level as high as their counterparts.

Totally agree. It's almost like he was trying to Moneyball, but using his blue chip prospects to get the moneyball players..

i know people have a lack of faith in both this team and it's current GM but people need to realize the cost of a top 6 forward and the fact that this team has a very empty prospect cupboard both in fault of the

.........previous GM for basically throwing away picks drafting pure garbage

I'm confused.This is Gillis' sixth year as GM.

Gillis lost/traded 10 draft picks

-including 2 seconds and a first,along with

CoHo(1st)

Grabner(1st)

Schneider (1st)

Six years as GM and no second line.The Sedins and Burr held this franchise up for years.

So then why is MG throwing away picks for rentals like Roy? And picks for guys like Pahlsson and Dalpe? What is the point in that?

Dalpe is still young and Welsh is in that trade too and the pick was a 4th rounder not going to lose much sleep over him tossing these away in trades so that takes care of that move and the Pahlsson rental

the Roy trade was horrible move he thought the team was ready for another run and was banking on 1 player giving the team the extra edge

not going to sit here and try to figure out what his next move is but Gillis has done more good than bad for this team then people give him credit his trades may not be his greatest skill but his ability to sign players and find players through free agency is very underrated moves signing people give the credit to the home town discount being the big factor in getting certain players

I'm confused.This is Gillis' sixth year as GM.

Gillis lost/traded 10 draft picks

-including 2 seconds and a first,along with

CoHo(1st)

Grabner(1st)

Schneider (1st)

Six years as GM and no second line.The Sedins and Burr held this franchise up for years.

Schneider and Coho weren't lost picks Horvat and Kassian are here could he of gotten more perhaps but nobody knows for sure

i guess people really do have short memories when it comes to the 2nd line Samuelsson Sundin Higgins Booth Demtira all played on the 2nd line and for the most part it was a productive part of this team it's really only been last year and so far this year too where the 2nd line has disappeared turning the team into a 1 line team

Totally agree. It's almost like he was trying to Moneyball, but using his blue chip prospects to get the moneyball players..

Every move has just defied logic, there was no need for "moneyball", either make a move for an upgrade, or leave it the **** alone. Love the team so much, it actually causes physical and emotional damage to me to watch what has happened. It's not even a hind sight thing, an ounce of common sense would have kept this team dominant.

And when he fell into receiving a blue chip d man that led the best PP in the league he let him walk for virtually nothing.

I am having a hard time believing that Gillis can evaluate players properly.

What's more glaring, seats available up to game time vs montreal in vancouver

that's a good thing sends a message to acquilini

1. Your team is not as competitive as you believe it to be

2. Therefore your tickets are overpriced

3. If this continues, it will cause MG to be fired, which should have happened last year

Every move has just defied logic, there was no need for "moneyball", either make a move for an upgrade, or leave it the **** alone. Love the team so much, it actually causes physical and emotional damage to me to watch what has happened. It's not even a hind sight thing, an ounce of common sense would have kept this team dominant.

this is laughable the fact people think they could of kept the 2011 team together

Torres and Ehrhoff chased the money

Samuelsson and Malhotra was on the decline

4 key players in that 2011 team in which Gillis has tried even though most of you don't think he has to replace those players maybe it isn't as easy as you all think it is he has 29 other GM's he is directly competing with each and every day there is also a salary cap

just a couple of things you all should think about before you act like you could GM this team better than GIllis has this isn't a game folks this is real life

the Roy trade was horrible move he thought the team was ready for another run and was banking on 1 player giving the team the extra edge

With Kes out of it and Ehrhoff long gone giving away a first in a deep draft for a few week rental was extremely bad management.

More like a gambler on a Saturday night with borrowed money and no job.

With Kes out of it and Ehrhoff long gone giving away a first in a deep draft for a few week rental was extremely bad management.

More like a gambler on a Saturday night with borrowed money and no job.

2nd round pick but agreed it was a horrible move and its these type of moves that people here are still asking for it

Archived