The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could Kesler be the odd man out?

Lui's Knob

Absolutey not. If anything move him to the wing and bring in another center. Im sorry but booth and higgins struggles aren't keslers fault.

3 snipers on a line isn't a recipe for success, Higgins looks better when with Santo or Hank but Kes just shoots from where ever and the wingers get no looks. So yeah it is partly his fault. Centre's generally make those around them better and Kes just can't seem to do that for his wingers.

I see Kesler as having a bit of the Bertuzzi Syndrome.

Bertuzzi was at his best crashing, banging and throwing his weight around while going to the front of the net. Once he had a great season points wise, Bertuzzi started to believe he was an elite scorer and his play started to deteriorate. He started hanging out at the blue line and trying to make fancy dancy plays instead of what brought him actual success.

I see this in Kesler also, he believes his own hype after having a good scoring season and his play suffers for it. Kesler is not some kind of elite scoring forward, he needs to muck it out and bring the physical side and in turn, the scoring will come. This whole thing where he tries to carry the play and be a one man show is not what brought him success/Selke award so he needs to look in the mirror and perhaps review some old tapes from 2010/11.

Not saying Kes=Bertuzzi, just pointing out some parallels in their career trajectory that I see.

kes is still a beast imo, but the production expectations have to stop.

Ive always said that the guy is an elite 3rd line center. he's always played his best hockey with 2nd line tweener grinders.... which usually play on the 3rd line on contending teams.... which was imo a least, why he and samuelsson worked well together, and why higgins and burrows are good matches as well.

Teams with the best fit as trading partners are teams with solid prospect depth, but could turn into contenders with the right additions. The NYI look to me to be a solid match in that department.

- They've brought in a number of wingers (Burrows, Booth, Higgins to name a few) and none have been able to get him going, and he's not the pass first center to help his wingers either

Kesler and Burrows generally have good chemistry but Burrows is usually with the Sedins. Booth and Higgins are 3rd liners.

- They don't put him in the 3C role (when they tried with Hodgson) and not skilled enough for 1C and can't produce at 2C

They don't put him on the 3rd line because he is a 2nd liner.

- Has endured constant injuries (due to play style and at times no fault of his own)

He's injury prone yes, but how is that his fault? He plays a gritty game, you want him to be soft?

- Unable to hit the 40 goal mark again (one hit wonder)

Why does he even have to hit 40 goals again? He plays on the 2nd line, how many 40 goals scorers play on the 2nd line? The fact that he ever hit 40 goals is just a bonus.

- Aging and unable to hit 'elite' status with guys like Kane, Toews, Datysuk's of the game

Again, he's a 2nd liner. Why are comparing him to guys like Toews and Datsyuk who are 1st line players.

- Bringing in Torts still hasn't helped him; Torts has given him even more increased ice time and and PP time and even time with the Sedins (which is a bust trial run IMO)

I'll agree that he is having a slow start but then again, most players on the Canucks usually have a slow start.

- For the amount of years Sedins have been in the lineup, 2nd line offense or production has been a constant issue (except for when the Sedins themselves were behind Bertuzzi/Naslund in their prime)

I agree that secondary scoring is an issue on this team. So why do you want to get rid of the only player on the 2nd line that isn't a 3rd liner?

- They also want to get younger and have players in the works to phase him out (Horvat for 2C/3C, Gaunce for 3C, Shinkaruk for 2nd line winger)

These kids probably aren't going to rip it up as soon as they hit the ice. However having them in the line up maybe next year might actually give Kesler some skill to work with.

In other words, no. Kesler is not the odd man out.

Honestly I like the look of our team with Kesler on top line

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Burrows Santorelli Kassian

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Booth/Sestito Welsh Weise

Been really impressed with Weise and Welsh

Booth not so much.

Hansen injury will be telling.

The injury to Shredder is also crummy

Really starting wonder if the Canucks upper management are attempting to maximize Kesler for a pending trade at some point before the deadline (see Hodgson, Schneider, mostly every other player Gillis seems to ship out)...

- They've brought in a number of wingers (Burrows, Booth, Higgins to name a few) and none have been able to get him going, and he's not the pass first center to help his wingers either

- They don't put him in the 3C role (when they tried with Hodgson) and not skilled enough for 1C and can't produce at 2C

- Has endured constant injuries (due to play style and at times no fault of his own)

- Unable to hit the 40 goal mark again (one hit wonder)

- Aging and unable to hit 'elite' status with guys like Kane, Toews, Datysuk's of the game

- Bringing in Torts still hasn't helped him; Torts has given him even more increased ice time and and PP time and even time with the Sedins (which is a bust trial run IMO)

- For the amount of years Sedins have been in the lineup, 2nd line offense or production has been a constant issue (except for when the Sedins themselves were behind Bertuzzi/Naslund in their prime)

- They also want to get younger and have players in the works to phase him out (Horvat for 2C/3C, Gaunce for 3C, Shinkaruk for 2nd line winger)

Could the Canucks package Kesler out with a unfriendly cap contract like Booth, and a rookie (maybe Gaunce if they don't see him as a solution long term or Tanev if Corrado can fill his role and hit the re-tool button for totally new look 2nd line?

Maybe NYI, Philly could be trade partners?

Don't say that...don't u ever say that again

I think once Burrows comes back Kesler will be the 2C once again. I'd love to see Kassian back up in the top 6 as well, he's looked good with 3rd line minutes.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Kassian

Booth-Santorelli-Hansen

Alberts-Richardson-Weise

I don't think I want to see Sestito play another game here...doesn't get much ice anyway

Archived