The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Varlamov turns himself in to police

Plum

People get away with 5 years for murder in the states yet you hit someone or keep someone against there will and it's 2-6 years, ridiculous. It's highly improbable that he gets more then maybe 6 months and community service or maybe even just the latter. Better hope the judge is an Avs fan.

His father and agent claim he did not commit any crimes.

And a Russian officials response. Golden.

"The situation is really strange, given that the Sochi Olympics will take place soon and Varlamov is a candidate to become part of our national hockey team which we do count on. What about presumption of innocence? It’s not normal at all. Varlamov will fall out of the training process which will have an impact on his readiness before the Olympics in Sochi. The first thing that comes to my mind is that it is an effort to weaken our national team.”

true story. Avalanche offered the Vancouver Canucks the 11th pick for Cory Schneider in 2011.

I don't see anyone available at #11 in 2011 that is better than Horvat.

And we would have been trading within the division. That has to mean we receive much more than just a pick.

And we would have been trading within the division. That has to mean we receive much more than just a pick.

I think it would've had to have been the 2nd (aka Landeskog) for Gillis to even consider it.

At the time im sure we could have landed duchene

Cory + coho for duchene and something else?

Given the description of second degree kidnapping in this link, and laws wherein police are required to make an arrest when a claim of domestic violence is reported, it could be any number of scenarios being blown out of proportion by scurvy media dogs.

One possible scenario is that his wife may have been drinking heavily, they got in a huge argument, she wanted to leave and drive to a friend's house, he told her she's too drunk to drive and he wouldn't let her leave the house, she flipped out and started hitting him, he pushed her away to keep her from hurting him and/or herself, she called the cops and reported domestic abuse, he freaked out not knowing US law and assumed he would be a big trouble, he fled the scene, called his lawyer, his lawyer advised him to turn himself in and voila! Domestic violence and kidnapping in the 2nd degree.

I do not assume that scenario is what happened. I have no idea what happened, but with the way stuff is sensationalized in the media, it's possible.

First off Roy was never charged for hitting his wife. He was charged for breaking furniture during a dispute. Secondly we don't know anything yet. He could have taken a child out of a dangerous situation and it would be considered kidnapping. There are plenty of women out there with mental illness and we don't know whether or not those charges were justified.

Even if he did hit someone, who knows how many times that person hit him before he reacted. It's unfair to paint him as a wife beater without knowing what happened. Life isnt black and white kids.

Bull, they are both hotheaded wife beaters. Stop defending thier actions, that's just straight up pathetic.

Given the description of second degree kidnapping in this link, and laws wherein police are required to make an arrest when a claim of domestic violence is reported, it could be any number of scenarios being blown out of proportion by scurvy media dogs.

One possible scenario is that his wife may have been drinking heavily, they got in a huge argument, she wanted to leave and drive to a friend's house, he told her she's too drunk to drive and he wouldn't let her leave the house, she flipped out and started hitting him, he pushed her away to keep her from hurting him and/or herself, she called the cops and reported domestic abuse, he freaked out not knowing US law and assumed he would be a big trouble, he fled the scene, called his lawyer, his lawyer advised him to turn himself in and voila! Domestic violence and kidnapping in the 2nd degree.

I do not assume that scenario is what happened. I have no idea what happened, but with the way stuff is sensationalized in the media, it's possible.

Again, stopping someone from leaving the house IS NOT kidnapping. It's false imprisonment. Kidnapping means forcibly taking someone from one place to another.

Lawyer for alleged Varlamov victim details allegations

Tuesday morning was not the first time Semyon Varlamov assaulted his girlfriend, according to her lawyer. But this time, she decided to do something about it.

Referring to his client as E.V. (pictured), attorney Robert Abrams toldCBS4 in Denver that a drunken Varlamov “threw her in to the wall, she went to floor and then he was stomping on her and that’s what caused the bruising and the damage.”

“This time E.V. said to us ‘That’s it, go lock him up,’” Abrams said. “This girl is 5-foot-3, 100-and-nothing pounds, he’s 6-foot-2, a 210 pound professional athlete. This is a very sizeable force approaching you and this is terrifying.”

Abrams also said the woman was hospitalized as a result of the assault.

Click here for video of the story from CBS4.

ev-e1383233204808.jpg

Also:

Ryan Parker @ryanparkerdp

Police report: Officers said they saw bruising on the left forearm and right hip of #Varlamov's girlfriend. #Avalanche

More: Police report: #Varlamov allegedly told his girlfriend, in Russian, "if this were Russia, he would have beat her more." #Avalanche

Archived