The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

How are we feeling about rum?

Anyone have some fine suggestions?

Was gifted something called Zaya Gran Reserva, an Appletons Estate boxed 21 aged and a Ron Abuelo 12 year.  Now I do enjoy rum but i've never really delved in to it and am wondering if anyone has a heads up on any of these in terms of sipping/mixing

image.png.3d764c13bac677fd35ea6a940cdb470e.png

image.png.644af23b8c9528c23ab78885a11963c9.png

image.png.9f350b82f58002de4e30df958172a831.png

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Nice have you tried the Laird? I have it in the cask strength but not opened yet.

I haven't actually.  I'm excited to open it but I've a bourbon and a rye whiskey in the go and wanted to wait with a fresh palette fir it.

I believe a few pages back bishop or someone posted a half empty bottle, they'd be a better person to ask for a general as I'm a week or two away and eyeing up this rum now

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:05 AM, Warhippy said:

Today's haul

Excited for that fintry.  Opted for the legent over the four roses for a bourbon

PXL_20220105_233905369.MP.jpg

I quite liked the Four Roses.
Haven’t tried these ones yet. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Legent Bourbon.

Shockingly good.

I might have to giv’er a try. Cheers!

On 1/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, Warhippy said:

How are we feeling about rum?

Anyone have some fine suggestions?

Was gifted something called Zaya Gran Reserva, an Appletons Estate boxed 21 aged and a Ron Abuelo 12 year.  Now I do enjoy rum but i've never really delved in to it and am wondering if anyone has a heads up on any of these in terms of sipping/mixing

image.png.3d764c13bac677fd35ea6a940cdb470e.png

image.png.644af23b8c9528c23ab78885a11963c9.png

image.png.9f350b82f58002de4e30df958172a831.png

Off-topic, but we had some of this Bumbu Craft Rum at Christmas and it was soooo good. Just had it neat. Too good to mix. 

https://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/281451

image.png

19 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I quite liked the Four Roses.
Haven’t tried these ones yet. 

I might have to giv’er a try. Cheers!

I'm excited by the four roses.  Will go buy some when my idiot supply runs low.

That legent really does sip well, if you pick some up and like your buffalo trace you'll really enjoy it.

19 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Off-topic, but we had some of this Bumbu Craft Rum at Christmas and it was soooo good. Just had it neat. Too good to mix. 

https://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/281451

image.png

So, the manager at our local JAKs location is a huge rum fan and explained some ins and outs to me today.

Real rum like pure rum is derived from cane sugar/demerara.  The demerara giving a harder darker rum.  Apparently the bumbu isn't a true rum but a liqueur and is derived from banana sugars.

I had zero idea what he was about but he remembered I'd bought some and asked how I liked it compared to the Flor de cana and diplomatico I had.

I had no idea whiskey/rum was such a hot thing for people.  Kinda fascinating

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm excited by the four roses.  Will go buy some when my idiot supply runs low.

That legent really does sip well, if you pick some up and like your buffalo trace you'll really enjoy it.

So, the manager at our local JAKs location is a huge rum fan and explained some ins and outs to me today.

Real rum like pure rum is derived from cane sugar/demerara.  The demerara giving a harder darker rum.  Apparently the bumbu isn't a true rum but a liqueur and is derived from banana sugars.

I had zero idea what he was about but he remembered I'd bought some and asked how I liked it compared to the Flor de cana and diplomatico I had.

I had no idea whiskey/rum was such a hot thing for people.  Kinda fascinating

That explains the hint of banana that it has ::D

I like Buffalo Trace so I’ll have to give Legent a try. Cheers!

A few years ago a did some WSET ( Wine and Spirit Education Trust) courses.

I completed up to WSET 3. After that it becomes a diploma level to become an educator etc... I did these courses with my staff as I was a director of a group of liquor stores at the time. 

Although I have forgotten a lot it was a really good experience. I highly recommend it. 

I don't drink much whiskey anymore but I enjoy popping into this thread. I recognise a lot of the products that you fellas are talking about. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Chicken. said:

New one from the isle of Arran to continue to ring in the new year , smooth for 46%

image.jpg

I only have 2 irish whiskeys in my inventory and I'm gonna be saving them for warmer climates I think

But that does look like it drinks nicely

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Arran is a scotch.

i can't bring myself to drink scotch anymore, so I had to insert something because it looked damned tasty regardless.

Actually, that's a good question.

Has anyone over done it with a low shelf/low grade anything that soured them off of the brand or genre ??