The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

i can't bring myself to drink scotch anymore, so I had to insert something because it looked damned tasty regardless.

Actually, that's a good question.

Has anyone over done it with a low shelf/low grade anything that soured them off of the brand or genre ??

Tequila for years, although I've found some that I like now.

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Tequila for years, although I've found some that I like now.

Scotch and sambuca/jager for me.

Honestly, I drank myself stupid on that stuff when I was younger.  Cheap $20 scotch.  Now I drink it and I immediately feel ill and no matter how fine the bottle it all tastes exactly the same :( 

On 12/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, Warhippy said:

So serious question.

I need to stop my wife from forcing me to do something.

I have 7 wine boxes full of whiskey/bourbon.  74 total bottles.

I know that they will not freeze unless they are exposed to consistent 25- temps.

But she wants me to put them outside in the carport.  Carport is covered in, mildly insulated so maybe a 5-7 degree difference between outside and inside of it.

Besides a viscosity change, what if any are the dangers of my storing my whiskey in the garage during this cold?  I live in Penticton and it's -16 right now.  So maybe -10 in the carport.

Everything I am reading says colder is better than hotter and to stay consistent and it won't affect it much.

Anyone have experience in this??

Ask your wife to move to the garage, keep your whiskey safe and now the nagging wife is nowhere in sight to bother you or your whiskey.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bell said:

Ask your wife to move to the garage, keep your whiskey safe and now the nagging wife is nowhere in sight to bother you or your whiskey.

I actually brought in my rums and tequilas.  Gins, Vodkas Bourbons and Whiskies apparently do ok to -25 but rums and tequilas don't.  Something to do with the sugar and chemical make up of the rum/tequila liquors.

But

On the flip side, whiskies, gins, vodkas and bourbons will degrade in the heat and lose almost all flavour whereas rums and tequilas do just fine.

Cool eh?

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I actually brought in my rums and tequilas.  Gins, Vodkas Bourbons and Whiskies apparently do ok to -25 but rums and tequilas don't.  Something to do with the sugar and chemical make up of the rum/tequila liquors.

But

On the flip side, whiskies, gins, vodkas and bourbons will degrade in the heat and lose almost all flavour whereas rums and tequilas do just fine.

Cool eh?

Makes sense given the climate of the countries of origin for each.

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Makes sense given the climate of the countries of origin for each.

Shockingly more to do with the ingredients used.

In the point of Rum, cane sugar/demerara after distillation the actual alcohol contains sugar and as it gets colder it crystallizes and then expands, destroying the taste and turning the actual liquid in to a syrup.  Tequila, while not a sugar or sucrose based distillation has similar issues for some reason.

Whiskeys/Bourbons/Vodkas and Gins don't have the same issues for some reason and can handle sub zero temperatures with relative ease but will degrade under heat or if stored near a heater.

Started in on my rums and wow is it something different

The Eldorado is incredible, you can smell the sugar in it.  So smooth.  I'd suggest everyone try it.

But this....oh my goodness this is tasty.  Possibly one of the finest sipping spirits I've ever had

PXL_20220113_022314263.jpg

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Assuming you have had good experiences with them?

Any broken bottles?

Ya they are great. I have done tastings through them on zoom a few times now. Their pricing is generally very good. They pack everything really well, even putting packing peanuts around the bottles within the tubes themselves.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Is anyone having problems finding Lagavulin 16?

Also has anyone heard of Scotch prices sky rocketing?

Got a bunch here at JAKs penticton and our lcbo.

No idea about skyrocketing.  But liquor distribution in bc has been an issue since late Nov

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Got one of these for Christmas:

Laird of Fintry 2018 (Lot #5) Single Malt – Selfbuilt's Whisky Analysis

I'll be partaking tonight in honor of the Bills'

dismantling of the Patsies today....:towel:

That's in my Feb opening, finally found a bottle.

You should check out their personalized whiskey crafts.  Being able to cask your own seems like a lot of fun

• Thanks 1