The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

6 hours ago, HI5 said:

I’ve got some sweet/creamy type cigars, any recommendations on what type of whiskey would pair well? Or is something like this better suited for a coffee/espresso pairing? 

I’d pair those with Maker’s Mark Kentucky Bourbon. Unless you’re more of a Scotch guy, in which case I’d try pairing with Oban 14. Both have a hint of sweetness that would compliment your Cigars. Cheers!

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Is that a Hibiki Harmony I see!!!!

Also,. How's that fintry taste?  Have a bottle excited about opening it

It is! Found that little beauty tucked away in the Turtle Bay Liquor Store back when it first opened. It's a nice bottle, quite sweet and easy drinking. Perfect for new scotch drinkers. Me and a few buddies did an "around the world" tasting with bottles from anywhere BUT Scotland, so that was my contribution. Haven't dipped into it in a while now, but talking about it makes me want to revisit.

The Fintry is good. My first time trying it, so I can't compare to former releases, but it has a nice flavor profile. Once again, it's a little sweet for my liking, and it definitely lacks a big or lasting finish, but its an easy sipper. Has a nice malty flavor to it that I enjoy, which combined with the sweet makes it more like a bourbon without the spice/pepper.

As the pictures show, I'm a big peat guy lol. Hoping to snatch up some black Friday sales, so I'll post any new additions that may come my way.

4 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

It is! Found that little beauty tucked away in the Turtle Bay Liquor Store back when it first opened. It's a nice bottle, quite sweet and easy drinking. Perfect for new scotch drinkers. Me and a few buddies did an "around the world" tasting with bottles from anywhere BUT Scotland, so that was my contribution. Haven't dipped into it in a while now, but talking about it makes me want to revisit.

The Fintry is good. My first time trying it, so I can't compare to former releases, but it has a nice flavor profile. Once again, it's a little sweet for my liking, and it definitely lacks a big or lasting finish, but its an easy sipper. Has a nice malty flavor to it that I enjoy, which combined with the sweet makes it more like a bourbon without the spice/pepper.

As the pictures show, I'm a big peat guy lol. Hoping to snatch up some black Friday sales, so I'll post any new additions that may come my way.

I am officially done for the year on purchases myself..  I say that after buying 3 bottles of Five Farms Cork Irish Cream liquer

Haven't been big on drinking since I left the US but have started again after engaging in my renovations.  It was essentially just a shopping trip over 2 months where I decided I wanted to relax without smoking at the end of the day

See one, read up on it buy it.

Hibiki is truly one of my faves, they cut the tail off beautifully (tail/ethanol distillation left over during bottling) and left the heart of the whiskey in it.  Nikka from the barrel and Nikka Super rare are also pretty high up there too.  If you can buy the Matsui white oak it's absolutely worth it even at $120 a bottle.

I stand by Wyatt's from Legends here in the Penticton area.  Their blue label is something else but their brown label is a treasure

Cannot wait to go to Dubh Glas next weekend for their whiskey release for the season.  Honestly one of the best single malts i've ever tasted and they usually imit it to 100-200 bottles a seasons

• 2 weeks later...

Dubh Glas' Winter release is out

Their Naughty and Nice selections are actually amazing.  Their Nice is almost Bourbon sweet without the sweet aftertaste.  So good

https://thedubhglasdistillery.com/product/nice-canadian-single-malt-whisky/

https://thedubhglasdistillery.com/product/naughty-canadian-single-malt-whisky/

On 11/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, Sp3nny said:

Hibiki is one of my least favourite Japanese whiskeys. It’s not bad, but I find it’s over rated. If you’d like to try a Japanese one with a bit of peat, check out Yoichi. It’s lightly peated, so don’t expect a lot of peat, but it’s really good. 

13 minutes ago, Drink Walrus Milk said:

Hibiki is one of my least favourite Japanese whiskeys. It’s not bad, but I find it’s over rated. If you’d like to try a Japanese one with a bit of peat, check out Yoichi. It’s lightly peated, so don’t expect a lot of peat, but it’s really good. 

Does it taste more like a toned down Islay, or is it more similar to something like an Ardmore?

12 hours ago, Drink Walrus Milk said:

I haven't liked other Hibiki's I've tried, and the Nikka I've had (Coffee Grain, From the Barrel) have been very underwhelming as well. But the Harmony is decent. I won't be looking to buy another if that gives and indication, but I don't regret the purchase. I saw a Yoichi the other day in BCL, so thanks for your thoughts on that. Might give it a go one of these days.

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I haven't liked other Hibiki's I've tried, and the Nikka I've had (Coffee Grain, From the Barrel) have been very underwhelming as well. But the Harmony is decent. I won't be looking to buy another if that gives and indication, but I don't regret the purchase. I saw a Yoichi the other day in BCL, so thanks for your thoughts on that. Might give it a go one of these days.

I rather appreciated the Hibiki Harmony and Hibiki 17.  The 21 isnt worth the price.

The Matsui though/White Oak, Nikka Rare and Nikka from the barrel are all top choice for what they bring to the table.

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Someone posted this in another thread and now I'm on the hunt

image.png.3c84f9e4ef2768adc58c737796705f6a.png

Good luck finding them here lol. That was at the Yamazaki distillery near Osaka. That formulation of the 25 is unfortunately no longer available, which is a reall shame as it was the best whiskey I've ever tasted and I was hoping to try it again once this whole COVID thing is over.

Edited by Drink Walrus Milk

19 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Anyone tried Old Putney 12? Got er on sale couldn't say no.

Haven't had the 12. Almost pulled the trigger on a $15 for $84 the other day. Had a single cask 18 last yr, and it was rly nice! Got three new bottles on the way that I am VERY excited about. Will update when they come in.

3 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Haven't had the 12. Almost pulled the trigger on a $15 for $84 the other day. Had a single cask 18 last yr, and it was rly nice! Got three new bottles on the way that I am VERY excited about. Will update when they come in.

Yes nice!

What 3 new bottles?

Just poured myself a Laphroaig QC.

Old Pulteney still unopened so is the Oban 14.

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Yes nice!

What 3 new bottles?

Just poured myself a Laphroaig QC.

Old Pulteney still unopened so is the Oban 14.

Beauty! I just got home from sledding, so some scotch will be enjoyed soon. Perhaps some Talisker Port Ruighe.

I ordered Ardbeg An Oa, Kilchoman 8 yr Port Cask Limited Release, and Glen Scotia Victoriana. I've been on a Campbelltown kick lately. Heard rly good things on the Vicky.

2 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Beauty! I just got home from sledding, so some scotch will be enjoyed soon. Perhaps some Talisker Port Ruighe.

I ordered Ardbeg An Oa, Kilchoman 8 yr Port Cask Limited Release, and Glen Scotia Victoriana. I've been on a Campbelltown kick lately. Heard rly good things on the Vicky.

Nice enjoy!!!