The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

43 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I recently got a bottle of the basic stuff on sale here in Calgary for only $65. And man, can you ever taste the difference between it and the regular, run-of-the-mill brands.

That's a solid deal! Its over $90 here at the govt store. At $65 Id always have it in stock but at over $100 with taxes there are just too many others Id rather sip.  

12 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Thank you for the recommendations! That’s the kind of intel I’m looking for. Appreciate both of your replies. I’ll scour the local BCL store tomorrow and see which of the 3 that have been mentioned so far that I have to choose from. Cheers!

Anytime! Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Thank you for the recommendations! That’s the kind of intel I’m looking for. Appreciate both of your replies. I’ll scour the local BCL store tomorrow and see which of the 3 that have been mentioned so far that I have to choose from. Cheers!

Definitely recommend the Oban; it's readily available yet isn't extreme in flavour profile.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

So I went with the Oban 14 and my god. Best Scotch I’ve ever tried. 10/10 would definitely recommend. 

B4E0FDC6-5913-4586-A4CD-96861B4225FC.jpeg

Sorry for the late reply I missed this. I would have recommended Balvine 12. Basic but good. No one hates Balvine.

Having said that I have not tried Oban 14. I have a bottle at home but haven't opened it yet as it's just so hot st my place. Will crank it in the fall. 

Glad you liked it can't wait to try!

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Sorry for the late reply I missed this. I would have recommended Balvine 12. Basic but good. No one hates Balvine.

Having said that I have not tried Oban 14. I have a bottle at home but haven't opened it yet as it's just so hot st my place. Will crank it in the fall. 

Glad you liked it can't wait to try!

Yeah the problem is now I’ve gotten a taste for it and it’s $150 a bottle :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Any one drinking whisky today? 

126915.jpg

Cracked this one open.  A bit heavier on the peat and sherry than the house style, and needs a little water to open it up, but one of the best official bottlings I've had in recent years.  They release a lot of overpriced marketing gimmicks, but this one was worth it.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

126915.jpg

Cracked this one open.  A bit heavier on the peat and sherry than the house style, and needs a little water to open it up, but one of the best official bottlings I've had in recent years.  They release a lot of overpriced marketing gimmicks, but this one was worth it.

Wow dog 64.1 abv nice. I'd love to try that!

Good choice.

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

The trick is to have a daily sipper like Glenfiddich or Bourbon and have the nice stuff on Saturday night.

1 or 2 nice ones come Saturday night and get banged up on Turkey.

Exactly this. Which is what I do. My latest bottle of Lagavulin is 5 months old. I have Laphroiag 10 year and Quarter cask for more often drams and Jamesons, WT 101 and currently Wellers (oat bourbon ala Pappy also owned by Jim Beam) because a man needs variety. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Any one drinking whisky today? 

I popped three corks with a couple buddies on Friday. Balvenie Week of Peat, Glenglassaugh Octaves Batch 2, and Glenmorangie Signet. What a great evening of sipping.

All three were great. Signet is just all espresso which was a little disappointing as far as depth goes as I couldn't get much past the coffee myself. Glenglassaugh was a nice woody/oaky offering. And the Balvenie was a nice surprise though. They melded the classic Balvenie flavor with the peat very well.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Stock up if you come to Alberta. It's under $120 at Real Canadian Liquor Store. Even higher end places here are under $125:

https://craftcellars.ca/product/oban-14-yr/

This is the best pricing in Alberta. What's shown is taxes in too. This store is awesome, they offer tastings through zoom right now with certain distilleries and their local reps. I've down three now, and they have been great. Here is an example for the Oban.

http://www.sierraspringsliquor.ca/store/products/oban-14-yr

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

This is the best pricing in Alberta. What's shown is taxes in too. This store is awesome, they offer tastings through zoom right now with certain distilleries and their local reps. I've down three now, and they have been great. Here is an example for the Oban.

http://www.sierraspringsliquor.ca/store/products/oban-14-yr

Thanks for the tip. Will check them out.

Oban 14 for only $100 is as cheap as it will get.

• 3 weeks later...

Benromach 10 yr ..Fair amount of stress this wk, so I splurged on a decent(in regards to price) bottle. Had abstained since May/June, so any scotch tastes like gold today.

So far, so good. Will update more later, when I get some more colours on this palate/palette.

Wish I had a few fav/diff brands laying about, for a study in taste/contrast. Serf-probs in the 1st world, of course...

Edit: OH LORDee! Put a few drops of water in & let sit for 15 mins. It's now(officially) a nectar of the Gawds! MAHN! Does that ever "open it up". Like a boring game of puck, that suddenly comes to life(after a goal & fight) late in the 2nd :^)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 2