The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

The Canucks are no longer an elite team. They are on the downward trend, hopefully, headed back up when some of the youth pans out (or not) and they address some obvious issues. Legit shutdown defenceman, top six forward, added size on the third and fourth lines (that are capable of chipping in on the scoresheet) The elite teams have these intangibles, the Canucks don't.

I will continue to support the team, but my expectations with this group have been tempered. It's not their fault, the effort is there. The lineup on the ice is not what I would consider capable of success in the playoffs.

If Erat is Gillis looking hard,LOOK FRACKING HARDER!!

For the love of baby Jesus, please stop trying to catch lightning in a bottle. No more reclamation projects. Get a bonafide top 6 player.

I concur!

And no we ain't giving up a player the calibre of Forsburg. What an absolute thrashing Washington took on that deal. Makes me want to trade Burrows, who should be worth more, home to Montreal.

As for a bonafide top 6; depends on cost. I'd like a young upcoming stud (like Forsburg, or Seguin) more than an established vet. Why? Getting a Jagr would not make us a cup winner IMO. We need secondary scoring (prob via a play making forward), top 6 scoring (via a sniper) and a puck rushing D to ignite some transition scoring and our PP. So settling for a depth forward (Erat) who does none of these things?

I'm not mortgaging anything at the moment for reclamations or rentals! But a young stud I would pay for.

gillis will do a booth for erat deal because erats cap hit is higher than booths and actual money on the deal left is far less.... so he saves aquilini some money....thats always the number 1 priority for the owner and a good way for gillis to stay on the boss's good side

... And Erat > Booth

I keep hearing bad things from people on here but the guy is 32 and:

Has played 13 years in the NHL

11 of those years with Nashville - a team that plays a very gritty 2 way game (if not defense first)

Has close to 500 pts in 755 games

Averaged pretty much 50 pts a season for 8 of the years with Nashville

He was in most of his years number 1 or 2 in scoring on Nashville - they simply dont score much

He's a playmaker and can play on Kesler's wing

He has wheels

Has been pretty much healthy all the way through

Booth for him, I'd do it...

He's been more consistent than Booth in all respects.

If it is simply Booth for Erat, I'd do it. But let's be honest here. Anything more than a player for player trade and we are getting robbed, I think people also don't take into account the fact Erat didn't want to be in Washington apparently, and also doesn't care for it by some accounts. His lack of production could simply be a lack of caring.

But I d agree, why...we don't need yet another redundant 3rd liner masquerading as a 2nd line player.

Booth (and a late pick or low level prospect) for Erat would make sense IMO. We would just be buying out Booth anyway and Erat is doing nothing for the Capitals.. Booth may start producing in Washington and they get his extra year of cap hit off the books and we could get a legit goal-scorer (look at his number in Nashville) that's not stupidly old... seems like a fair swap though Erat has a NMC I believe..

I keep hearing bad things from people on here but the guy is 32 and:

Has played 13 years in the NHL

11 of those years with Nashville - a team that plays a very gritty 2 way game (if not defense first)

Has close to 500 pts in 755 games

Averaged pretty much 50 pts a season for 8 of the years with Nashville

He was in most of his years number 1 or 2 in scoring on Nashville - they simply dont score much

He's a playmaker and can play on Kesler's wing

He has wheels

Has been pretty much healthy all the way through

Booth for him, I'd do it...

He's been more consistent than Booth in all respects.

I agree. And torts' style is similar to the predators style that he's been accustomed to. Bottom line is he has a much more proven track record than booth ever had before coming here.

He deserves all the crap that's coming. Hasn't address the offense since our CUP run in Boston. Did I also mention an abysmal 2008-2012 draft record? But oh yea, I forget we always win cups so our draft picks are always late!

Chicago has won 2 cups, they have rookies stepping up, Boston as well. I forgot that the Canucks are the exception.

And by your logic, excluding the Canucks, all 27 other NHL clubs should fire their GM's as well? Based only on cups and prospect development? Leave it to CDC for mind boggling proposals.....

I always felt like Erat was a really underrated playmaker, and a good backchecker, in Nashville but I haven't seen his game very much in a Caps uniform so I don't know.

Erat is like picking up a Higgins at the deadline... Assuming you are a buyer at the deadline. And that Erat is a UFA, which he's not.

... And Erat > Booth

yes stats do prove this out. other than his play in washington he has been a very consistent player. I see why Washington made that trade when looking at his numbers, they wanted a guy for the run..

For whatever reason he didn't fit into their system but his numbers show he can play. In Nashville he was a top 2 scorer 85% of his seasons there.

He has averaged over 50pts a year and is a two way player with speed and a good passer as evidenced by his numbers. He might fit in well with Kesler.

If its a Booth for Erat move, no brainer.

If it is simply Booth for Erat, I'd do it. But let's be honest here. Anything more than a player for player trade and we are getting robbed, I think people also don't take into account the fact Erat didn't want to be in Washington apparently, and also doesn't care for it by some accounts. His lack of production could simply be a lack of caring.

But I d agree, why...we don't need yet another redundant 3rd liner masquerading as a 2nd line player.

please look at his stats i dont think people realize he's been in the nhl for 13 years and his stats are unbelievably consistent, until he went to washington

this guy is a second liner buddy

Erat is not the answer. He's a locker room cancer when it comes to ice time and Tortorella would have a fit if he had a guy demanding ice time.

so now that i owned you and showed you he is consistent based on his 13 year career which kills your argument that he isn't a consistent player, you change your argument to something that cannot be proven by suggesting he is a locker room cancer - interesting.

is your need to 'feel' right so much more important than being objective?

he's a cancer hey? but he spent 11 years in Nashville, led the team in scoring but was a cancer, and it took them 11 years to move him?

maybe he's a top line player and much like Markus Naslund wasn't suited for the 3rd line and is being underutilized.

hmm...

wow

please look at his stats i dont think people realize he's been in the nhl for 13 years and his stats are unbelievably consistent, until he went to washington

this guy is a second liner buddy

By his numbers so is Booth buddy. He is an older version of Higgins Hansen Santorelli Burrows. Do we need ANOTHER redundant player? no we need a playmaker. We need a sniper. We don't need yet another aging 2 way player who used to be consistent.

If Booth goes away for him. meh why not, but really a straight swap is the only thing that makes sense.

so now that i owned you and showed you he is consistent based on his 13 year career which kills your argument that he isn't a consistent player, you change your argument to something that cannot be proven by suggesting he is a locker room cancer - interesting.

is your need to 'feel' right so much more important than being objective?

he's a cancer hey? but he spent 11 years in Nashville, led the team in scoring but was a cancer, and it took them 11 years to move him?

maybe he's a top line player and much like Markus Naslund wasn't suited for the 3rd line and is being underutilized.

hmm...

wow

He's a gamble at this stage in his career. He could either be good or be an overpaid 3rd liner who's inconsistent. Remind you of anyone? Gillis needs to get a proven top 6 winger not a guy who is not his former self. It's just a hockey forum don't get worked up so much

Archived