The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

I don't get why people want him. Is he young? No. Can he hit? No. Is he a great passer? No. Is he a top 6 forward? No.

He isn't what the Canucks need and unless he is an add on to a bigger deal is a waste of any asset to aquire, including Booth. At this point at least Booth is a strong skater who can hit. If I had to pick one of them to be on my team and not score, it would be Booth.

Yes he is a great passer... that is actually the thing he is the best at, and why he has had significant success in the league. The issue in Washington is that he doesn't have any talent to pass to with where he is slotted in.

If only we had a 2nd line centre who is mainly a shooter and who needs someone to set him up...

Where did you get the idea that Booth hits people? I sure haven't seen it, and his stats sure don't back up that claim. Can Booth skate? He used to be able to.. but so far this year he would lose a footrace for Sestito.

I am not saying Erat is any golden answer, but since blockbusters are almost impossible these days... trading two underachieving guys for each other doesn't sound out of this world.

Booth had plenty of chances in the last game, I feel that he's going to break out any game now. Think Sam Gagne-break out. This guy is on the cusp, and would be huge for us if he got his game going by the playoffs (which is likely if we work with him). The Canucks have a project in Kassian already, and have Burrows at a similar cap hit who is also struggling to produce, yet these guys are never mentioned in trades. I say we hold onto Booth for now, throw some picks/prospects away for Erat. If this isn't cap-friendly, scratch Burrows or Booth every other game until they score a freaking goal.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (I doubt Torts will do it, but this would fix our top line)

Erat - Kesler - Higgins (Erat is a smart playmaker and brings skill to these gritty players)

Burrows - Santorelli - Hansen (fantastic checking line that can score)

Kassian - Richardson - Booth (best 4th line in the NHL by a mile)

Weise

You do understand that scratching a player doesn't negate their cap hit right?

Booth had plenty of chances in the last game, I feel that he's going to break out any game now. Think Sam Gagne-break out. This guy is on the cusp, and would be huge for us if he got his game going by the playoffs (which is likely if we work with him). The Canucks have a project in Kassian already, and have Burrows at a similar cap hit who is also struggling to produce, yet these guys are never mentioned in trades. I say we hold onto Booth for now, throw some picks/prospects away for Erat. If this isn't cap-friendly, scratch Burrows or Booth every other game until they score a freaking goal.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (I doubt Torts will do it, but this would fix our top line)

Erat - Kesler - Higgins (Erat is a smart playmaker and brings skill to these gritty players)

Burrows - Santorelli - Hansen (fantastic checking line that can score)

Kassian - Richardson - Booth (best 4th line in the NHL by a mile)

Weise

Kassian-Kassian-KassianKassian-Kassian-KassianKassian-Kassian-KassianKassian-Kassian-Kassian

Booth had plenty of chances in the last game, I feel that he's going to break out any game now. Think Sam Gagne-break out. This guy is on the cusp, and would be huge for us if he got his game going by the playoffs (which is likely if we work with him). The Canucks have a project in Kassian already, and have Burrows at a similar cap hit who is also struggling to produce, yet these guys are never mentioned in trades.

Kassian is only 22, Burrows can PK and has chemistry with Sedins. Booth will be long gone before those 2.

Booth has been invisible out there sometimes even after all the wakeup calls

LOL at the repeated myth that Erat is "not a top 6."

The guy had scored 350ish points in his last 7 seasons and was on pace for 48 last year in Nashville.

Only in Canucksville are 50 point players considered 3rd liners.

This is even loopier tha the idea that Burrows is not a top 6 forward.

Burrows had 218 points his past 4 seasons, and again was more than a .5 ppg player last year.

3 points in 14 games does not signify enough to say otherwise, anymore than 6 points in 23 erases Erat.

Is Steven Weiss a 3rd liner as well? Scott Hartnell? Grabner and his 2 goals? Henrique? Selanne and Koivu?

But the whiners are always right? Aren't they?

It actually astounds me that people are calling Erat a 3rd liner... honestly, it's stupid.

I don't get why people want him. Is he young? No. Can he hit? No. Is he a great passer? No. Is he a top 6 forward? No.

He isn't what the Canucks need and unless he is an add on to a bigger deal is a waste of any asset to aquire, including Booth. At this point at least Booth is a strong skater who can hit. If I had to pick one of them to be on my team and not score, it would be Booth.

Yeah he is... hahaha wtf?

This trade makes so much sense for both teams it would be a shame if this did not happen.

Both need a fresh start. Erat is familiar to the west and is still a decent play-making winger who can finish.

Booth will get a chance to go back to the east and give Washington another bigger bodied player who can crash the net for rebounds and will have more space to skate with in the more wide open east.

David Booth plus a conditional mid round pick seems very fair for Erat. If he performs well the Canucks sweeten the deal by turning the 5th rounder to a 4th or maybe third.

Booth getting a chance to play all of a sudden seems very peculiar. They could be showcasing him in this next stretch of games and could have been what the conversation Torts and Booth had was about.

A guy who has not scored all year and is scratched will not change the face of this team nor the fact they stink

So its better to just sit idle and lose? Just keep this stagnating roster with no changes? I like to think that we can get Erat pretty cheap and if we can, why not go for it? Not like there are other top 6 forwards available on the trade front that can be an impact forward.

Gillis does not know what he's doing.

Gillis keep saying he wants this team to get younger. Erat is not that player.

Canucks need LEGIT top 6 scorer. Stop wasting time and cap space with 3rd liners pretending to be 2nd liners for a whole season. Get a LEGIT top 6 already. If Erat is in your regular top 6, this team will not go deep in the playoffs if canucks get there.

Gillis does not know what he's doing.

Gillis keep saying he wants this team to get younger. Erat is not that player.

Canucks need LEGIT top 6 scorer. Stop wasting time and cap space with 3rd liners pretending to be 2nd liners for a whole season. Get a LEGIT top 6 already.

Isn't Erat a "LEGIT" top 6? Who do you want? Crosby?

No he's not. if you think he is then I dont want to continue this conversation with you.

You think this team will go deep if Erat is in as regular top 6. No elite teams will have erat as their regular top 6.

He was a consistent 50 point player during his entire tenure with Nashville, a team who doesn't score a lot. The drop in production happened after he was traded. Are you trying to say 50 points isn't good enough for a second liner on this team?

He was a consistent 50 point player during his entire tenure with Nashville, a team who doesn't score a lot. The drop in production happened after he was traded. Are you trying to say 50 points isn't good enough for a second liner on this team?

im more confident of chris higgins scoring in top 6 role for the time being than plugging erat their as regular top 6. And i dont think higgins should be regular top 6. He's 3rd liner who can be in 2nd line for the mean time. thats what erat is. canucks have enough of that already.

I think that Erat has potential to fit in quite nicely with the Sedins. They play a posession game that is more suited to Erat, rather than generating chances off the rush like Washington. Erat would be the most skilled player to play with the twins in years, perhaps ever. There's at least some possibillities there imo.

If there wer to be a swap of Booth + ? for him, and the plan was to keep Kesler on the wing, Id expect that would make one of Burrows, Higgins and Hansen available.

Erat isnt a barn burner offensively, but he's been a consistent 50 point getter in a system that plays defensive hockey and without legit top players. Ovi and company just play a different style, and he doesnt fit in there. He'd get a real chance to produce here, both in the top 6 and on the PP. I think youd see results. Whether or not this would make the Canucks any better of a playoff team... not so sure bout that, but I do think he'd add some scoring depth for the regular season.

No he's not. if you think he is then I dont want to continue this conversation with you.

You think this team will go deep if Erat is in as regular top 6. No elite teams will have erat as their regular top 6.

Maybe not but they might have a fighting chance to at least make the playoffs. Who do you think we could get that would be an impact player without trading any of Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Sedins, Kesler, Kassian, Burrows and Luongo? Tell me? Who is available that can make our team go deep into the playoffs? Who is this magical player?

Archived