The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our TOP 9 is Softer than Charmin: Gillis MUST act.

Cold Hard Truth

I really like how LA is built with King, Clifford, Nolan, Stoll, Carcillo all know how to use the body. Not trying to be racist but most Europeans aren't physical player so if Gillis plans on being physical start with getting rid of the Sedins, Hansen.

Reaves, Tootoo, Prust, McLeod are the type of tough players you need on your 3rd and 4th line. Ott and Neil are also some reliable 3rd liners but cost probably way too much. Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, Santorelli aren't really these tough guys but they're good role players. I really want Gillis to build this team with some more goons and toughness.

So lets trade the Sedins for Reaves, Tootoo, Prust...That will definitely win us lots of games.

Reaves-Tootoo-Prust

Sestito-Kesler-Kassian

Carcillo-Richardson-Weise

Volpatti-Santo-Archibald

Stanley cup here we come...Lots of goons, contender for sure.

In another reality...MG makes a good trade before the dealine this year (a top 4 defenceman for a top 6 forward), Lu opts out of his contract and gets dealt at the draft along with our 1st for a young, sturdy goal scoring forward? EDIT: The cap is also going up so we (obviously all teams) do have free agent options as well. Then next season one of Shinkaruk, Horvat or Cassels makes the team and wins the Calder.

Or is that too optimistic for you?

If it all works out I would be as happy as anybody here.

But the plan to sign a fading goaltender to a long term deal - then alienate him - and them tell him suck it up.... Combined with trading your professed #1 goaltender as well as your professed future captain coho and getting squat back for each of them ... Contracts to players who are reclamation projects... And expensive too!

Just doesn't seem like there is a final product in mind. It seems like there is a "process" planned but no idea what the final product should be.

Tell me the vision then. It used to be a fast skilled team - and then it changed to getting bigger and retooling or rejigging or jacking off or whatever we are doing now. It's like there was a vision (ah - maybe from the old gm?) but not anymore...

Does that make sense? I'm trying not to overreact but it's tough when you see predictable results start to trickle (or flood) in.

There's no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out!

And btw: I loved that fast skilled team. I supported them even I they lost. I identified with a vision that was put into place and the honesty and purity of it. That was what makes sports worthwhile.

But now? I feel disconnected. There is a disconnect between the teams goals of winning a SC and the moves of the GM. Isn't it obvious? How can u support that?

I would have gone down in flames supporting an aging core if the philosophy of speed and skill were adhered to. I would have believed they might do it every year and I would die on the sword to support them.

But I'm a hockey fan first and the team being put together now is a patchwork of guesses without vision IMHO. I cannot support that. And that really pisses me off!

Evander Kane and Wayne Simmonds

Sedin-Sedin-Simmonds

Kane-Kesler-Burrows

Booth-Santo-Hansen

Higgins-Richie-Kassian

That looks like a sick lineup but that would cost a kings ransom to get those guys so we would probably lose some roster players

Only way out of this is to rebuild on the fly. Off load Sedins and Edler at the deadline for prospects/#1 C. We have a young crop of good guys coming up that can fill out on the second line. Corrado gets the call to fill the hole. Ride out Luongo till Lack can take the reins.

We cannot go for it in the next 2 years with the cap situation/prospects needing more time.

So Gillis is pretty much just sitting on a miracle trade atm/ is content with an above .500 team that sells tickets.

Thats called a stupid knee jerk reaction, not a rebuild on the fly. Any dumb ass GM could trade the Sedins and crap the bed for many years like the Oilers. If Canucks fans can't tolerate losing 20-30 games into the season, I doubt they could tolerate 5-10 years of constant losing. Then you will see the attendance plummet and Aquilini sell the team to the highest bidder before he starts losing revenue. Its so easy for you guys to talk about rebuild but I doubt you will stay for it to finish. What we need is some personnel change but not a full rebuild. Losing the Sedins will make our team a lottery team for many years.

The over-valuing aspect is Gillis' biggest problem as a GM. Gotta give something up to get something, but Mike doesn't understand that.

Didn't he give up Schneider for that 9th Pick? Didn't he trade Grabner and a 1st round pick for Ballard? Didn't he trade Hodgson for Kassian?

If anything, he undervalues what he gives up in trades. It is the reason why the team skill has taken a hit. We gave up a lot and got nothing.

So lets trade the Sedins for Reaves, Tootoo, Prust...That will definitely win us lots of games.

Reaves-Tootoo-Prust

Sestito-Kesler-Kassian

Carcillo-Richardson-Weise

Volpatti-Santo-Archibald

Stanley cup here we come...Lots of goons, contender for sure.

Yes. Because what I said was trade the Sedins, Hansen for Prust, Tootoo, Reaves? I said trading Sedins and Hansen is a start, to become a physical team because they aren't physical players. Not trading them for Reaves, Tootoo, and Prust.

Stupidity at its finest.

If it all works out I would be as happy as anybody here.

But the plan to sign a fading goaltender to a long term deal - then alienate him - and them tell him suck it up.... Combined with trading your professed #1 goaltender as well as your professed future captain coho and getting squat back for each of them ... Contracts to players who are reclamation projects... And expensive too!

Just doesn't seem like there is a final product in mind. It seems like there is a "process" planned but no idea what the final product should be.

Tell me the vision then. It used to be a fast skilled team - and then it changed to getting bigger and retooling or rejigging or jacking off or whatever we are doing now. It's like there was a vision (ah - maybe from the old gm?) but not anymore...

Does that make sense? I'm trying not to overreact but it's tough when you see predictable results start to trickle (or flood) in.

There's no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out!

Unfortunately, makes total sense.

Again as I posted in this thread, please compare the following four players on our team to Kassian. These 4 players that were all billed as offensive weapons with finesse and skill. Now compare their first few years to Kassian please.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=55145

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=67780

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=34004

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=34007

Now those four players as of today would have about a dozen threads with that production full of people chasing them off the team.

By comparison here is a barely 22 year old Kassian

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=106835

So, as you can see. We should have traded all of the linked players because they're all so terrible as youngsters. Which is the meat of this post isn't it? Gang up on Kassian like we have a clue? I mean seriously, just calm down already

Your points are invalid. Henrik and Daniel had more points their rookie season than Kassian does in 106 game career.

Also, Kesler and Burrows were on our 3rd line in the shut down role their first 3 seasons. They weren't offensive weapons, West Coast Express and the Sedins were our top two line.

And btw: I loved that fast skilled team. I supported them even I they lost. I identified with a vision that was put into place and the honesty and purity of it. That was what makes sports worthwhile.

But now? I feel disconnected. There is a disconnect between the teams goals of winning a SC and the moves of the GM. Isn't it obvious? How can u support that?

I would have gone down in flames supporting an aging core if the philosophy of speed and skill were adhered to. I would have believed they might do it every year and I would die on the sword to support them.

But I'm a hockey fan first and the team being put together now is a patchwork of guesses without vision IMHO. I cannot support that. And that really pisses me off!

Best post of the year. Painful to read but bang on! Well said and glad to see someone on the 8 ball!

How many more years does Gillis sit idly by ?

The scary thing is last year at the deadline Gillis spent weeks trying to get a deal done.

No one will trade will Gillis unless its a sucker deal for Kassian.

This TOP 9 is softer than charmin.

Zack Kassian's no shows are killing this team.

We have too many of the same small perimeter player

Sedins, Burrows,Higgins,Hansen , Santo etc....Kelser rarely hits, too brittle anyway.

Gillis is going to have to trade a TOP 4 D

[Edler or Hamhuis hopefully]

Who do we go after ?

We could use 2 TOP 6 Forwards at this point,

a power forward and a sniper.

not Zac Dalpe.

This team use to bodycheck and cause turnovers, they don't hit anymore and are too small to get to the dirty areas with any consistency .

you're correct. MG is a president not a GM. He needs to focus on his presidential duties and hire a real GM

Your points are invalid. Henrik and Daniel had more points their rookie season than Kassian does in 106 game career.

Also, Kesler and Burrows were on our 3rd line in the shut down role their first 3 seasons. They weren't offensive weapons, West Coast Express and the Sedins were our top two line.

I think that the example and comparison is mroe than fair. Burrows and Kesler were spoken of as being offensive studds with huge upside which turned out true. But they were painful in their first few years. The Twins were terrible skaters soft as baby poop at the time and were 2nd and 3rd line players who didn't start putting up serious points their first few seasons.

I mean sure they were/are all great players now.

But why did they get this free pass and Kassian isn't? His 3rd and 4th line minutes aren't going to utilize his skill set well. He has massive potential, is a huge body that can skate and complete a sweet pass. Maybe no Jumbo Joe but come on, he is not a 3rd/4th line grinder by any means and to see endless threads about how he is so bad at age 22 is just saddening.

The comparison is there easily. Imagine if this mentality had thrown Kesler and Burrows from the club. To early to label Kassian as soft or a bust. Just lazy and in need of genuine development.

I agree with this post!!

Along with this, the main problem seems to be that the team is just going through a rough patch right now. However, I don't believe this makeup has a chance to do anything in the playoffs. The mix is just not right. They will continue to be an above average team that now doesn't have the weak northwest division to beat up on and build their stats. Gone are the days of the majority of games being played against the three weakest teams in hockey and they are being exposed a little bit now. They are a nice team that plays hard but don't have the skill or size to beat the very best teams consistently.

There are simply too many of the same type of players. It is great to have the Sedins but there needs to be some size and protection to go with them. Our skill guys are not very skilled (other then Sedins) but mainly hard workers that will pot the occasional goal or two. There needs to be a balance of size and skill to have a chance to win a cup. A guy like Archibald definately has a spot on this team if it were up to me where a few of the others iether need to be upgraded skill wise (shinkaruk and Horvat I hope) or traded for more size and speed that can be effective. Asking Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Santorelli, Kesler etc to play a physical type of role seems a bit unrealistic to me. Again, proper balance is what we lack --- and a true number one defenseman!

Exactly!

In a couple of years when Shinkaruk and Horvat make the team I'm hoping Kass rides shotgun to protect the rooks. Yeah I know he needs to be more determined, consistent and play a 200' game, but really feel he will one day be a monster.

And this he can't learn in the AHL first?

Archived