The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All this money put into Drafting/player development, yet little results.

Go Go Canucks Go

So since MG has been GM, it's been stated on numerous occasions that the Canucks are among the top teams that put money into player development. What resources they input is not privy to us fans, but it's enough to jack up ticket prices for us Nuck fans.

I haven't actually done much research on this but I feel like our drafting and player development hasn't really shown much results in the 5 years since MG has been here.

Only real player I can think of in the MG era that has been successful at the NHL level is Tanev. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone else but doesn't that numer strike you as terrible since he was also a free agent signing?

The only other guy who migh be a good future NHLer is Corrado since it's still too early to include Horvaat or Shinkaruk.

Guys on the bubble or coming close to their last chance are archibald and schroeder. Neither have established themselves as full time NHlers. Kassian is actually regressing as a player since joining the Canucks. He showed some great promise when he played in Buffalo system.

I thought our drafting and player development were going to be great but now we have these wasted 2nd round picks on the likes of guys like Mallet and Rodin. Seems our high draft picks don't pan out.

Drafting isn't as easy as people make it out to be. I think we've drafted decently under Gillis except in the second round.

Drafting and scouting seems extremely easy for certain teams. LA Kings, Philly, San Jose, Chicago are always consistently draft great players. We're supposedly spending the most money into these sorts of things so we either have the wrong scouts or our development trainers and ppl are going about their business completely wrong.

Gillis is one of the best drafting GMs we've ever had in this franchise. I haven't see one mistake from him from the developing part or drafting, Tanev, Corrado, Schroeder, Lack, Hodgson all looking really good so far. Cassels in the 3rd round wasn't even ranked in Bmac's draft ranking but now Cassels is having so much success. I didn't even know Cole existed but now some people slot him in the 2nd line center spot in the future.

That takes some skill. Tommernes, 7th round pick looking good. His late round drafting is extremely good, if they fire him from the GM position atleast keep him there for drafting decisions.

Can we just make a post game panic thread for people to lodge their complaints nit picks and whines in? The endless sky is falling nonsense is tiresome.

To reiterate.

Schroder, Jensen, Archibald, Grenier, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Horvat, Coorado, Mallet, Liberati, Cederholm, Tommernes, Lain, Hutton, Mceneny, Blomstrand Subban and eriksson....I would say that's a pretty solid pool of depth. people ALWAYS complain that we have no depth. but look at teams that rush guys into the system immediately after draft. how do they work out?

Edmonton has numerous injured players, Columbus has numerous injured players, Phoenix florida....the list goes on and on.

The best team in hockey over the last 20 years has been the Wings, the average age of their rookies is frigging 23 years old. Calm the hell down. I would rather have guys ready to play and growing together than being rushed and possibly stunted.

And as for Kassian, he is actually progressing along nicely. he is rarely left out to dry and is beomcing a better player with only 3rd line minutes as it stands. He will pull through very well in the near future.

So please stop. calm down. If anything, barring Gillis' first few years of drafting, his drafting record has gotten incredible since.

Drafting and scouting seems extremely easy for certain teams. LA Kings, Philly, San Jose, Chicago are always consistently draft great players. We're supposedly spending the most money into these sorts of things so we either have the wrong scouts or our development trainers and ppl are going about their business completely wrong.

That is not true actually. Barring the last say 2/3 seasons LA has had better draft selection than us and to be honest...There are only 2 or 3 guys drafted by LA not named Toffoli, Brown, Kopitar or Voynov in the last 8 seasons who really stand out. Chicago has twice basically sold their bottom 6 and some D for better picks/prospects players and has frigging Bowman and son running the team, Philly gave up Carter and Richards and tanked a season to get the players they did. And San Jose has...Hertl and Couture to shwo for their troubles the last 7 years.

So really, not that impressive if you ask me. Our prospect pool over the last 3 seasons is not only more promising but far deeper than theirs. They've just made trades to shore up areas that have worked out for them, where as we've acquired players that for the most part actually haven't and have a stagnant core as it stands. Again calm down....

That is not true actually. Barring the last say 2/3 seasons LA has had better draft selection than us and to be honest...There are only 2 or 3 guys drafted by LA not named Toffoli, Brown, Kopitar or Voynov in the last 8 seasons who really stand out. Chicago has twice basically sold their bottom 6 and some D for better picks/prospects players and has frigging Bowman and son running the team, Philly gave up Carter and Richards and tanked a season to get the players they did. And San Jose has...Hertl and Couture to shwo for their troubles the last 7 years.

So really, not that impressive if you ask me. Our prospect pool over the last 3 seasons is not only more promising but far deeper than theirs. They've just made trades to shore up areas that have worked out for them, where as we've acquired players that for the most part actually haven't and have a stagnant core as it stands. Again calm down....

The Kings don't have many of these draft picks playing in their system because they gave it up for Richards and Carter.

Simmonds, Schenn, Johnson, picks. The change made an immediate impact as they took him the cup that year.

The Kings don't have many of these draft picks playing in their system because they gave it up for Richards and Carter.

Simmonds, Schenn, Johnson, picks. The change made an immediate impact as they took him the cup that year.

Exactly, so to say they've better prospects or draft picks in their system than us right now is rather troubling. People need to remember where Quick Kopitar Brown and Doughty were drafted and then remember when the last time we drafted that low was.

Immediate impacts don't come immediately when developing.

It's especially disappointing in view of the fact that Gillis made a point of singling out the lack of '"impact players" in the Canucks system when he first took over as gm and promised to revamp the system. His performance in the drafting/player development area has been really underwhelming (we are routinely ranked in the 26-30 range in specialty media like HF and THN).. A big disappointment, and one that he'll pay for down the line.

2008-

Hodgson the future captain,now a 60 point offensive #1 center-traded for a project-Gillis process

Yann Sauve

Prabh Rai

Morgan Clark

Mats Froshaug

One fourth liner to show for that draft.

2009-

Schroeder

Rodin

Connauton

Price

Andersson

Cannata

Anthony

I see one Canuck,maybe.

2010-

McNally

Polacek

Friesen

Iilhati

Hanney

No roster players there.

2011-

Corrado is the only roster player and now he is in the A,where he rightfully belongs.

2012-

Gaunce is the hopeful-one day.

2013-

The first year Gillis drafts properly.

So,six Gillis drafts and Kassian as the only roster player to show for his tenure as a GM.

Shroeder -hopeful, but not on the roster.

^hey, never knew it was common sense but I'll explain it to ya roughly: Gillis doesn't draft, his scouts do. They come up with a list of players they have in prioritized order and from there the entire organization picks accordingly.

Some 'fans' are just pathetic crying after a loss...

^hey, never knew it was common sense but I'll explain it to ya roughly: Gillis doesn't draft, his scouts do. They come up with a list of players they have in prioritized order and from there the entire organization picks accordingly.

Some 'fans' are just pathetic crying after a loss...

Hey,and the Pres-GM is responsible as he is in charge of everything.

Gillis addresses his drafting five years after he arrives.

Some fans are pathetic supporters of the indefensible.

Exactly, so to say they've better prospects or draft picks in their system than us right now is rather troubling. People need to remember where Quick Kopitar Brown and Doughty were drafted and then remember when the last time we drafted that low was.

Immediate impacts don't come immediately when developing.

if you knew what you were talking about, you would not include kopitar

Archived