The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toddler and family dog fall through the ice on frozen Mission pond

PrideInThisTeam

"The boy’s mother was watching from a window inside the home"

Not ok. A puppy and a kid out there. There are hungry animals that roam that area - all kinds of things that could go wrong. I'm sorry, I find this totally irresponsible and the Mom should've been out there, watching her kid and their puppy.

Pretty much. How about instead of hopping on "team dog" or "team toddler" we all get on board "team proper supervision from the responsible adult."

I'm glad the little boy is okay but the mother was very irresponsible. Needs to get taught a thing or two about proper supervision.

As a fellow Doberman owner this really is sad for me. Dobies get cold easily so the poor little thing didn't have a chance.

Rip dobie. The mother is to be blamed for all this.

I'm that one person out of a hundred that cares more about dogs then I do about people.

Was about to post something similar before I read your comment. Although in parental situation I'd probably save the child. In scenario with random people the dog would be tops on priority list. There is lovely quote about the difference between dogs and humans but I don't quite remember it...

edit: And you were sarcastic so nevermind then. I guess it's just me.

Yeah, this thread is full of perfect parents who never once lost sight of their children.

Pretty much every parent has lost sight of their child on occasion. I certainly have.

However, in my situation it was in a crowded store and never for more than a few seconds.

I have raised three girls and when the were toddlers, I absolutely would never have left any of them unattended near a body of water covered with thin ice.

I'm not a "perfect parent" but I have a good idea of what constitutes absolute boneheaded parenting and this is it.

"However, in my situation it was in a crowded store and never for more than a few seconds."

I wonder how many kids drown every year compared to how many kids get abducted or diddled by strangers after their folks lose sight of them briefly in a store. I'd think it about the same or at least close enough to not try for moral high ground anyway.

"However, in my situation it was in a crowded store and never for more than a few seconds."

I wonder how many kids drown every year compared to how many kids get abducted or diddled by strangers after their folks lose sight of them briefly in a store. I'd think it about the same or at least close enough to not try for moral high ground anyway.

It's not practical to avoid taking one's children into department stores for their entire childhood. Keeping them out of potentially life-threatening situations like thin ice is.

Compare this to a predator? c'mon.

c'mon man. What is the difference? If you lose sight of your kids anywhere other than your house, and even there, horrible things can happen. Personally I would not try to point out how much better a parent I am merely because the outcome was different.

Funny, people get upset about nhl suspensions being seemingly based on outcome or injury and yet in this case.....

Was about to post something similar before I read your comment. Although in parental situation I'd probably save the child. In scenario with random people the dog would be tops on priority list. There is lovely quote about the difference between dogs and humans but I don't quite remember it...

edit: And you were sarcastic so nevermind then. I guess it's just me.

You'd rescue a dog over a drowning child? Wow, thats cold.

If I had to purposely kill 100 dogs to save 1 child, I wouldn't hesitate killing the canines.

I hope colon dee doesnt read this thread. Poor dog.

I was watching the news and this story came on. They said at the beginning of the piece that a boy and his dog were stuck on the ice. At the very end, after how great the news was that the boy was stable in hospital, etc, etc... they were like "ps- the dog died, back to you Joe!"

I was livid. Say the dog dies at the start and I can tune away.

Also, I was secretly hoping the thread would fall right away so I didn't have to see the title reminding me. Only entered the thread now since it is showing up in my name searches. ;(

I don't go though any wrap at all. I also don't point fingers at parents that had a worse outcome to the same mistake or oversight that every parent has done and will probably do in the future. We are only human after all.

Completely wrong.

There is a huge difference between losing sight of child for a few seconds because he or she is on the other side of a clothing rack and being inside your house while your toddler is outside in close proximity to a body of water covered by thin ice.

As HBR says, you can't possibly be a parent.

Archived