The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A view from the other side: Perspective of Boston Bruins Fans on tonight's game

Johnny's Logic

Anyone who voluntarily becomes part of such a disgraceful organization clearly has some issues regarding their character. Lots of respectable contenders Iginla could have chosen.

You mean

The kind of Organization that

Does not give their record holding scoring captain a contract offer

Bottom dollars a player like Morrison

Refuses to re-sign or even talk to a good guy like Mitchell

Throws the best goalie on the team ever under the bus

Has issues and throws one of our best prospects ever under the bus before trading him

The kind of organization run by a guy without a crystal ball?

Your hate blinds you. I dislike a lot of the Bruins players but come on man...they're far from a classless organization. The fans are trashy, a few of the players are terrible but any organization that demands players give up some cash and tie to victims of the boston bombing, spend time with sick kids, voluntarily visit schools and donate money for sick and orphaned kids for the holidays is FAR from classless. The finals were two years ago man come on

Okay. Following your train of thought about Iginla vs Jagr, and why one is a jerk and the other is a hapless victim of circumstance, couldn't the same theng be said for Lucic? He was drafted by the Bruins. He did not have a choice of where he played, and he is playing a style which gets him top-6 minutes in the NHL. Should he not try to help his team win? For all you know, he cries himself to sleep every night because he doesn't like the way he is forced to play with the Bruins, and should he ever leave them and come back to Vancouver, he would be a changed man and not hit anyone ever again....

So does this view only extend to current (or former) Boston Bruins players, or does this loathing cover guys from other teams who have never been a Bruin? Is Ben Eager a stand-up guy as he has never played for the Bruins? And I suppose Duncan Keith is the salt of the Earth as he has never been a Bruin, or is he still despicable because of his cheap-shot on Sedin (as well as being a major part of the Hawks running over the Canucks for a few years)? And isn't that hit equivalent to anything that Lucic et al have done with the Bruins? So shouldn't you feel the same way about the current Chicago team (and any former Hawks players)? Doughty and Brown aren't the cleanest of players. Shouldn't the Kings (and any ex-Kings) get equal time in your sin bin? And what about that Williw Mitchell guy? He pulled an Iginla and went to the Kings from the Canucks! He must be condoning their style of play.

Is Ryan Stanton safe from your spleen as he signed with the Hawks as a FA? Or are the Hawks now a "classy" team as there hasn't been any recent playoff distress with them in a few years? What about Richardson? He was with the Kings a couple of years back when they rough housed the Canucks on their way to a Cup, or were they not dirty enough to give you cause for concern?

regards,

G.

Careful G, you're presenting an unassailable argument. You might just get insulted in a minute.

Lucic is on record saying it's a dream for him to play in Van. He went from RFA to 6 year contract, he could still sign here. Iginla might be older but i'd welcome him as a Canuck with open arms. he's a hell of a player an amazing leader and just wants to win a cup. Jagr might be older bu as a 3rd line player there would be none better. I'd like Bergeron on the team, Krejci Seidenberg all welcome additions.

Anyone who is that bitter about a team over a cup win has serious character flaws and honestly will never be swayed by common sense or solid facts

yea, no kidding. I love these types of threads, it just shows how ignorant some of our fan base is. They call out other teams fans for the exact same things they do. Its rather funny to watch.

It's kind of like two groups of children saying, "I know you are but what am I?" at each other over and over.

I got a great idea...after the game we should invite the Bruins and their fans over to our singing circle, join hands and sing kumbaya!! What do ya say?? It'll be swell!! :rolleyes:

frack the bruins...the rivalry/villian aspect of sport is what makes it fun. Obviously some people take it too far but those are a minority. Also this is a message board...not an etiquette school. Some of you are drowning in your self-righteousness. :P

5) I think the rigged by Campbell complaint and "the Bruins were allowed to get by with being mean" complaints are ridiculous (lest we point out the. Burrows bite).

I do sympathize with those who think injury played a role (I think it did) or just frustration with how it ended. I totally understand the Marchand hate (he absolutely crawled in their heads and set up camp).

But in the end the Bruins were the better team and found a way to win. I also think that contrary to popular belief at the time the Bruins weren't that far behind in certain stats like goals for and goals against. About the only stat the Bruins comparatively stunk in was the PP.

Teams that live by their PP in the regular season tend die in the play offs.

7) Canucks GDT has a picture of Horton laying on the ice after that cheapshot from Rome in a picture montage. Classy.

Sorry to bring up an old point but I still don't understand why Rome's hit on Horton was a cheap shot. The hit was to the chest area and head was not the principal point of contact. I don't think it was a penalty (let alone 5 minute major) and definitely not worthy of any suspension. I just don't understand to this day.

If I am to complain a bit more... I have been watching hockey for about 20 years but I still don't know what warrants a penalty and what doesn't. It is still not clear to me what is and what is not a penalty. For NFL, I know that when the receiver catches the ball in the air, both of his feet needs to touch the ground before he goes out of bounce for the touchdown to count. In NBA, I know that if a defender moves in to an area almost simultaneously with the offensive player to block the way, then it's a blocking foul whereas if the offensive player comes into the area already occupied by the defensive player, then it's charging.

In any given NHL game, I see a hook or slash or obstruction and I think, "Oh! That's a penalty for sure." Yet, no arm goes up in the air. In the same game in a different situation, I see an exactly same hook or slash or obstruction and don't think much of it but sure enough, ref's arm goes up in the air. I'm not talking just about the Canucks games, I've noticed this in all of the NHL games that I have watched. Fans all over the NHL chants, "referees suck!"

The refereeing was the most inconsistent in the 2011 SCF games in all 20 years of my viewing experiences. You really had no expectation for what will be and what won't be called. It was completely unpredictable. This hurt us more obviously with the style that we played against the style that the Bruins played. In the end, as said above, Bruins found a way to win whereas we weren't able to adapt to the inconsistent refereeing. We were second guessing in order to draw penalties whereas the Bruins were ruthless after committing a foul play knowing that most likely it won't be called because the referee suspected the Canuck players of diving and were hesitant to call any penalty that would make him a mockery. In other words, the refs were guessing too.

I'm not complaining to say the referees really suck. I'm just pointing out how difficult their job is. The problem is with subjectivity. In one of his columns on TSN, an ex-ref Kerry Fraser talks about referee's game management. This is the most ridiculous thing. The whole concept of referees having to manage a game does not make any sense. They are to be impartial and objective. If they see a penalty, they call it. If they don't see it, they don't call it. If you have called Henrik Sedin's weak hook as a penalty then you call it again whether it's Henrik Sedin committing the same penalty or the opposing player committing the same foul on Henrik Sedin. As an example of consistency that are needed in the NHL, think of MLB umpires. In any given game, the strike zone could shrink or expand but the umpire calls it consistently throughout the game so the hitters and the pitchers can adjust to it by the time it gets to 3rd or 4th inning. If the strike zone expands, then it is favorable for the pitcher but a good hitter will adapt by his second at bat. If the strike zone shrinks, good pitchers will still be able to place the ball in the corners.

I just hope by the time it gets to my 30 years of viewing that, NHL refereeing gets consistent. It's a great game and has great potential to grow in new markets both in the US and internationally. But first and foremost, the refereeing has to be fixed before it can grow.

He wants to win a cup. Boston gives him a great chance to do that. Doesn't take away from the kind of guy he is.

So would Pittsburgh, Detroit, St. Louis, Anaheim. Lots of options with respectable players. Yet he decided to go on a team where he'd have gutless pukes like Chara, Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, Boychuck, McQuaid, Thornton, Kreijci, and Campbell as teammates, plus Julien as coach.

Anyone who is that bitter about a team over a cup win has serious character flaws and honestly will never be swayed by common sense or solid facts

Won't take issue with the rest of your post for now, but I do think you may want to take your own advice and be careful... not to strain a muscle squeezing yourself into the gleaming mold of objectivity.

Fans do get bitter over big losses, pretty much by definition. If not over a cup loss, a brutally gruesome one at that, then when?

edit: Just noticed you said "that bitter" not just "bitter" which may make my post seem a little more strawmanny...anyway, as I said, not arguing the context or the rest of your post. Just thought we should allow for some diversity of fandomness here, or what have you.

Sorry to bring up an old point but I still don't understand why Rome's hit on Horton was a cheap shot. The hit was to the chest area and head was not the principal point of contact. I don't think it was a penalty (let alone 5 minute major) and definitely not worthy of any suspension. I just don't understand to this day.

Because the hit was considered fractionally late.

And at half speed replay, the delay looks twice as long, making it seem more than twice as late.

But with super slow mo... well that can really get the armchair GMs up in arms, if you know what I mean.

Not to mention, space is curved, and the usual laws of physics change with quantum mechanics, and homer glasses, etc.

Yeah, that was right in the range I was expecting. I thought 10-20 and 15 is right in the middle.

A little surprized the NHL didn't find a way to weasel out of that one this time. Looked right about where they'd want this to be for appearance of objectivity though.

Agreed.

So would Pittsburgh, Detroit, St. Louis, Anaheim. Lots of options with respectable players. Yet he decided to go on a team where he'd have gutless pukes like Chara, Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, Boychuck, McQuaid, Thornton, Kreijci, and Campbell as teammates, plus Julien as coach.

Borque left the Bruins for arguably one of the cheaper teams in the west in the 2000 AV's. Roberts with the Pens, Andreychuk with the Bolts. It happens all the time. you're presenting no argument other than personal opinion and blind hatred.

Archived