The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) Kesler wasnt a lock for team USA

Youth_Movement

Interesting article about Keslers game and how torts helped him. Quotes that stood out to me

I asked Kesler to narrow it down and describe what he liked most about his game this season and his answer revealed an interesting transition he’s undergone this year.

“(John Tortorella) says it a lot to me, to play underneath the hash marks,” Kesler said. “I think I’ve been doing that a lot, and really added that to my game.

“Before, I scored a lot of goals off the rush and outside the 20-foot mark. Now, I’m getting goals beneath the 10-foot mark. I’m happy about that.

“Playoff time and late in the season, that’s where you are going to have to score the goals. The goals scored then are the dirty ones.”

Kesler is second in the NHL among forwards in minutes played, and sixth in shots on net. He’s on pace for about 300 shots this year, which would obliterate his career high of 260.

Only 10 centres in the league have scored more than his 15 goals. He is fifth in the NHL with five game-winners, leads the Canucks ineffective power play with five goals, and is the best penalty killer on the league’s best penalty kill unit.

the full article can be found here

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Jason+Botchford+Ryan+Kesler+wasn+lock+make/9344390/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The reason he wasn't a lock was health related. He's healthy, problem solved

This, at least considering what was talked about him by the selection committee as revealed in the Burnside article. If he was healthy, he was a lock in their eyes.

When Kesler skates onto the ice in his Yankee uniform I'll think of him just as I did in 1972 of the Soviet players in that ultimate series. Remember he had a hate on for Canada in 2010. Hopefully he saves his best for a drive to the playoffs after Sochi.

Kesler, I'd probably hate if he were on another team as much as other teams fans hate him.

Haha misleading title but if that was the case but Kelser not being a lock it almost as stupid as Ryan not making it. Their #1 center and one of the best USA players in the 2010 Olympics

Agreed. His performance throughout the tournament was excellent and even at 70% fit, Kesler is still a lock on Team USA.

Archived