The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Semifinal • Jan. 4 • Canada vs. Finland • 10:00 AM PT

I've been given a warning because you blamed the refs and I disagreed with you?

My agenda, what are you talking about?

So posters can't disagree with you because you moderate the forum? Good work.

Here's a 3-4 syllable word for you, misfeasance.

You didn't "disagree" with her, you accused her of something she never said.

Just like Drouin you shouldn't poke the ref (especially a passionate hockey fan watching her team lose) or you'll get a misconduct. Live with it.

Maybe it will make you quit cherry-picking one-liners from the heat of the battle during a GDT, and pretending its some well thought out deduction. That's too easy. Everyone, me included, has said things in the heat of a GDT that we might take back when its all done.

No one says we have no skill. We got beat. End of story, no excuses.

agreed on getting beat, just thought a couple pages back someone was talking about us not having enough skill. we have it in the JR leagues, but this checking line mentality for the JR team isn't helping. The captain was a 4th liner / grinder? no knocks on him, but that kind of says a lot...

So I heard during the end of the broadcast that Sutter allowed Bigras's first shift in two games!

And it was the whole 4th line underused. Sutter had a big hand in picking the players. If he wasn't going to use them, why pick them? Its not like that 4th line was made up of your typical grinders, each of them was a top Canadian junior player. Wouldn't they have jumped at the chance to prove the coach wrong when the rest of the team was sleep walking?

That's a myth. 1998 team Canada was flying, ran into a hot goalie and lost in shootout. Nothing to do with big ice.

2002 is hybrid big ice, Canada won gold.

2006 they picked the wrong players who were not hot. Bertuzzi instead of Crosby or staal?

2010 was NHL ice.

1972 series was in big ice in USSR, Canada was 3-1 there.

so going back to 1972 you give one example where we win on the large surface? Not overly convincing.

The speed of the skaters and the speed and quality of puck movement by the Europeans was evident today. Unable to move the puck as a team, the Canadians resorted to individual efforts which failed against a well coached defensive system lie the Finns. The Finns showed superior team skill and speed

I've been given a warning because you blamed the refs and I disagreed with you?

My agenda, what are you talking about?

So posters can't disagree with you because you moderate the forum? Good work.

Here's a 3-4 syllable word for you, misfeasance.

No, the warning was for making a post about "Deb" vs the topic...normally, I'd let it slide but in knowing you were completely off the mark and out of context, I reviewed your warn history, which I tend to do. And, as a person with previous warnings, you need to follow rules. Derailing threads and personal attacks are part of that.

So this:

Deb blaming the refs in a 5-1 loss with Finland scoring 1 PP goal.

Never change. Never change.

addresses "Deb never changes" more than anything game related...that's not the topic. So, in straying off topic with a bit of an attack, you were warned. Plus, it wasn't even a true/accurate statement..."Deb" didn't do that. So that's the agenda part...at least if you are going on the attack, do so with truths and facts not something you've made up. Hope that clarifies things for you, as you're not above the rules.

I don't mind someone disagreeing with me...I enjoy a good debate and never issue warnings based on that. If you'd posted something along the lines of "c'mon, it wasn't the refs" we could have engaged in a good discussion. But you didn't do it that way. Fight fair. And you still haven't addressed my rebuttal, but don't bother because I don't believe it's necessary now...speaks for itself.

Again, "Deb" didn't blame the refs. Deb gets to declare where she places blame, not you, and I've pointed out why your statement is crap/untrue so move on please. Speaking of blame, right now I'm placing it on you for (continuing to) derail things.

No, the warning was for making a post about "Deb" vs the topic...normally, I'd let it slide but in knowing you were completely off the mark and out of context, I reviewed your warn history, which I tend to do. And, as a person with previous warnings, you need to follow rules. Derailing threads and personal attacks are part of that.

I don't mind someone disagreeing with me...I enjoy a good debate and never issue warnings based on that. If you'd posted something along the lines of "c'mon, it wasn't the refs" we could have engaged in a good discussion. But you didn't do it that way. Fight fair. And you still haven't addressed my rebuttal, but don't bother because I don't believe it's necessary now...speaks for itself.

Now, back on topic.

That being said this years team looked awful and doesn't even deserve to be playing for a bronze medal.

so going back to 1972 you give one example where we win on the large surface? Not overly convincing.

The speed of the skaters and the speed and quality of puck movement by the Europeans was evident today. Unable to move the puck as a team, the Canadians resorted to individual efforts which failed against a well coached defensive system lie the Finns. The Finns showed superior team skill and speed

I don't need to give every example. But gave all of the best on best, which is post 1998 Olympics. Prior to that Canada wins most of Canada cup/world cup, but those are NHL sized ice. Had it been Olympic size ice, they still would win. Gretzky, messier, Lemieux etc, in their prime.

You are talking about today's jrs game? Finn played a better gm today. But where was the problem when Canada won 5 straight jrs gold a few yrs ago? they also tie or have more JR gold than russia.

the fact is, most of the top draft picks that Canada has already play in NHL. Many of them aren't released to play in JR. It's like pre 1998 Olympics, when Canada sends an amateur team, while USSR sends its best communist pros.

Nice read on Horvat here: http://o.canada.com/...lid-for-canada/

• Not worried about points more about getting team the win
  • Will give up the body and win key faceoffs
  • 61% on FO dot leads team Canada
  • Took a defensive role since US match
  • He won the Western Conference coaches’ awards for best faceoff man and top shot blocker
  • Looks like a Torts guy, Patrice Bergeron type of player.

Awesome; thanks BB

Nice read on Horvat here: http://o.canada.com/...lid-for-canada/

• Not worried about points more about getting team the win
  • Will give up the body and win key faceoffs
  • 61% on FO dot leads team Canada
  • Took a defensive role since US match
  • He won the Western Conference coaches’ awards for best faceoff man and top shot blocker
  • Looks like a Torts guy, Patrice Bergeron type of player.

This is what people need to realize. Horvat was relegated to a defense first role because this team had too many small one dimensional players. It would be interesting to see the perecentage of defensive zone starts he had.

This team just seemed to have no concept at all. They weren't overly skilled, they weren't overly physical, and they weren't overly defensive.

McDavid and Reinhart were good early on, but they're not at the level where they can dominate these tournaments yet like Tavares or Eberle could. One of them should have been left off the team in place of Domi IMO. Gaunce would have been a much needed defensive zone player as well, which would have freed up a guy like Laughton or Horvat to focus more on offense.

There was enough talent in this group to win a gold. Better line combos and omitting a couple players in place of others could have made the difference.

I don't need to give every example. But gave all of the best on best, which is post 1998 Olympics. Prior to that Canada wins most of Canada cup/world cup, but those are NHL sized ice. Had it been Olympic size ice, they still would win. Gretzky, messier, Lemieux etc, in their prime.

You are talking about today's jrs game? Finn played a better gm today. But where was the problem when Canada won 5 straight jrs gold a few yrs ago? they also tie or have more JR gold than russia.

the fact is, most of the top draft picks that Canada has already play in NHL. Many of them aren't released to play in JR. It's like pre 1998 Olympics, when Canada sends an amateur team, while USSR sends its best communist pros.

You make some good points but do not the European junior draft picks also play in the NHL?

I agree the FInns were simply better today and maybe Canada had a bad day but just watching the one-on-one battles and the speed and accuracy of the puck movement by the Finns versus Canada points out to me the difference in styles and which is more effective. IN breaking up the ice, our skaters were too slow to beat the Finns in the neutral ice, and were unable to make any passes allowing them to gain the zone in a position to generate quality chances.

The NA game on smaller ice is a lot about dump out/in and chase. ON the larger ice, giving up possession in that manner results in a quick transition with coordinated attack by skilled forwards racing back into your zone.

Perhaps we do have as much talent individually but it does not appear our skill in team play can match up against the better European teams. Maybe in the past and maybe with a different mix of players but not this year or last.

Disappointing tourney for Horvat especially for a 9th overall pick, but doesn't mean anything.

Laughton has one assist the whole tournament.

I think most people would agree that he's gonna be a good NHLer soon. It's all about the role he was forced to play this tournament though. Same thing with Horvat.

Sucks for him to be the best faceoff guy on the team because it means he gets most of the defensive zone starts.

Archived