The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis silent while Canucks need him most (Bold moves my ass)

Jamaicanice

I used to be one of his biggest supporters.

I could see what he was trying to do in 2011-2012, unfortunately it didn't work out.

Since then he hasn't done much in terms of "bold moves" as the teams around us continue to get better. I guess that's why the average shelf life of a GM is only 5 or 6 years. He built a great team, but seems to have lost his direction or motivation. Which is usually the signal that it's time for a change.

I give him credit for Erhoff but MG inherited this team from Dave Nonis.

I give him credit for Erhoff but MG inherited this team from Dave Nonis.

Really?

Wow....I cannot tell anymore if people honestly believe this or they just troll for attention by posting this.

Are you aware of the last 3 years of Burke and the Nonis years of what went down? Of the trades that were made, the players that were drafted and the contracts handed out?

Do your homework and then come back and say that with conviction

These are the type of opinions I like to read. They have some common sense thought to them. One does not have to agree with a point of view (not saying I disagree with you), one can actually see a viable idea being projected.

Half of the crap written in these threads are simply ridiculous and don't even add to the issue. +1 for being constructive and giving someone something to think about

Well considering the owners wanted it I have trouble believing any GM in the league didn't expect it to happen. Fans that didn't believe the owners would get that claw back are idiots. Being a team that spends to the cap makes a cap drop a difficult situation to improve the team.

Specifically referring to the "penalties" associated with the front-loaded, long term contracts. These were contracts approved by the league, and then teams get punished retroactively for presumed circumvention of the cap. I seriously doubt many fans expected that degree of pettiness from Bettman.

Isn't getting what you want the obvious goal of a trade? There isn't much point in trading assets for assets you don't need.

What was unwritten (and I assumed unnecessary - apparently it was) was that "maybe they would". We'll never know.

There is something wrong with Canucks player development, and scouting. Where and why do other teams come up with tough skilled players? There is no time to wait for any of Canucks draft choices to turn into pro players. Gillis needs to do something now but he is satisfied that things are OK. He thinks he has done well in 7 yrs.

The other thing is that we are allowing our goalies to get run over by the league. Torts is not happy about that but if you are a conspiracy fan you would think the league hates Vancouver. So why is it there are Canuck fans all over North America. Maybe they too see us as underdogs facing an impossible dream.

Management is too quiet and doesn't seem concerned about the running of our goalies. Torts will one day soon come unglued. Can't blame him somebody has to care.

Show your displeasure of running your goalie by being reciprocal with the other goalie. Get in his face and make him uncomfortable. Did we see that last night -no, then why the hell not. Torts is preaching net presence who other than Sestito showed any net presence.

We hear all the hockey cliches about strong forecheck, get in front of the net, score some dirty ones, play our game etc etc etc. Well I say do the walk like Torts wants, not the talk.The ducks manhandled us last night. We continued to be suave and nonchalant and look what happened. I expected more from Dany last night. It was heart breaking to me as well. Up a goal with six minutes to go, game gets tied and we lose it in OT with .6 of a second left. Shame.

Specifically referring to the "penalties" associated with the front-loaded, long term contracts. These were contracts approved by the league, and then teams get punished retroactively for presumed circumvention of the cap. I seriously doubt many fans expected that degree of pettiness from Bettman.

And the owners were the people behind the penalties as well. It wasn't the NHLPA that wanted this in, the owners made it a part of the CBA. They own the teams, I don't see why they'd penalize themselves for no reason - unless of course they actually had a reason enough owners supported to try and prevent future loopholes.

Maybe you two should get a room and you can stare into each other's eyes and share how much you admire one another. :bigblush:

It might be better than trying to correct all the misinformation on CDC - certainly easier.

Maybe you two should get a room and you can stare into each other's eyes and share how much you admire one another. :bigblush:

Did you get another mirror for Christmas so you can admire yourself exclusively? .. if not, I can send you a full length one for your 'quiet room'

Does anyone even know if there are some bold moves out there to be had with every team now jockeying for playoff position?

Everyone out there have sharp critical comments about what a GM should do, but all they are is whine from a bunch of internet losers who haven't even got a simple idea what deals can be made or more realistically, what players are available. It is obvious other teams have players who have NT/M clauses in their contracts, yet their names have been suggest and spewed out here by those very same people who continue to whine about the management of our team. Get real losers and shake your heads to loosen your thought processes.

Ya, any fool can make a brain fart suggestion about who Gillis should trade and what players he should trade for. The trick, if it is not obvious to all whiners here, is to be able to make the deal, not just yap it up like many of you continue to do because stupidity remains anonymous on the internet, right?

My comments refer to all other GMs as well. There isn't one out there that is not trying to make his team a Stanley Cup winner, yet the know-it-all fans of those respective teams continue to have all the answers and solutions to the problems of each team.

I really wonder how many of those same fans would even attempt to try to convince others face to face how little they know about managing a hockey team. All who would try would be labelled a fool. The closest the majority of you have got to the game is in some beer league and the rest of you have probably not even laced on a pair of skates or know how to skate. Tell me all you self professed experts, why the hell are you not all GMs in the NHL? Talk is cheap and when it comes to hockey knowledge, many of you are simple paupers at best.

Yes Vancouver lost a couple of hockey games and yes I was ripped like many of you but to be warm and snugly and offer praise to everyone associated to the team only at those times when the team is winning is a might hypocritical would you not say? A year or two ago, Gillis was considered a great GM. The team was doing very well and the nay sayers were undercover or had jumped onto the bandwagon. They loss of the Stanley Cup to Boston and once again woke up the negative horde and a deluge of criticism once again poured down on management. Over night, management felt the wrath from those in the cheap seats. In the opinion of the brainless, Gillis became stupid over night. Go figure that strange rationale; from king to bum practically in the same day.

Yes these threads are here for everyone to be able to express an opinion whether in agreement or disagreement. However, they should also be available to comment on how irrational and ridiculous some posters express non-credible bull crap in these threads as well.

So have at me boys any way you wish but using sincerity you know I am right.

Indeed the only reason to read any MG or Kassian post is for a giggle . I am one who assumes most of these replies are simply Alberta posts because the phlems and toiler boards are pretty empty just like their teams. But hey if nothing else these threads scream stay in school kids :)

Did you get another mirror for Christmas so you can admire yourself exclusively? .. if not, I can send you a full length one for your 'quiet room'

Who are you? Why are you responding? and why would I care?

Now that's a much livelier discussion!

You may not like some of the moves but you can't say he's never been bold. Trading Cody was bold, trading Schneider was a bold move. Firing AV and bringing in a now very popular but had us concerned Torts was bold (I see posted above a claim the the Schneider trade doesn't count because Gillis was forced, he was forced to trade a goalie but not for a great pick like that)

The guy isn't afraid of making deals but if those are not bold moves what are you expecting?

Trading kesler or the Sedins? Where and for what exactly? Crazy here that we have some thinking that Edler will just merrily waive to the Islanders or Carolina. People complaining about NTC's as if we were an anomoly team with them instead of average.

You don't make a trade just to make one. That's how teams like calgary and toronto get all messed up. We are up against the cap with an aging core, we will get younger in time but we just are not going to dominate.

A couple of extra goals is not worth Bo or Hunter or Tanev. I know it's not fun to watch sometimes but this team did a reset and it's geared towards the future and not the now anymore. If you want it all now, you may want to hop off the bandwagon for a bit because you are just going to be miserable.

I think you are on to it.

But it still applies with Gillis moves.

Someone else mentioned Nill trading his second best player for a younger more dynamic (hopefully, and it has turned out) player. But that team was truly in a re-building phase. And they went about re-building.

I bring up the Nill thing because he was willing to pay a price to bring in a number one center. He knew he did not have it. Gillis has been getting what is available, regardless of whether it really fills a hole. Case in point is acquiring Ballard, Hamhuis, then Garrison and last re-signing Edler. Now Stanton. Left handed 2 way D when we're stacked is greedily grabbing a good value rather than actually addressing the needs of the team.

The same could be said of our goaltending. Gillis claims he will never ask a guy to move an NTC. But of course clearly brought Cory along even though he had signed Lou to a $60 Mill deal. He had a chance to get Jeff Carter for Cory, but was greedy and thought he would press Lou on.

Grabbing Kassian was such a bold move. We did need a PF, and dynamic winger to play with the Twins. Problem was it was poorly scouted, and he was not ready. And we were not re-building, and gave up a valuable player. So we still need a PF top winger to play with Twins. When Yzerman missed the boat with Lindback, he made another move and grabbed Bishop.

What we need in order of importance;

A puck moving D.

That wing for the Twins.

Why the PMD first? Look at the Anaheim and LA games. Their big, ferocious fore check hung us up, and allowed them to dominate possession. A guy who can break pressure by lugging the puck up ice means we play in the offensive end instead of defending (which we are not bad at, but I would prefer not to spend my time doing). No we don't have a D with speed and superior puck handling skills on our team who can undress guys who come to check and pressure.

And a sniper! We did generate some extremely juicy chances Higgins, Santo, even Danny did not convert against LA and Anaheim. But they won ultimately cuz they had Jeff Carter and Perry who buried less exciting chances. The PMD comes first cuz its better to win actually controlling the play and playing better. But a sniper can still steal and break open games.

Plus, repeating a post a hundred times, having the Twins, 2 of the 5 best passing forwards on the planet on one line, without a sniper; is a wasted resource!

Typical OP do something because I'm "ADD" post on CDC.

GO OUTSIDE AND RELAX!!! HUG A TREE OR SOMETHING!!!

Gillis did a great job adding 3 NHL players in Stanton, Richardson, and Santorelli!

He also made a great trade of a nobody prospect and a 4th for 2 young depth players!

All this for like 3.5 million dollars in cap.

We all know Gillis record on big trades, and I preferably don't want him to make one.

Be patient and wait until next year when we have a chance to add our own good youth and potentially a good UFA (Gillis is good at signing UFA's)

Stick to your guns, If you suck at big trades, don't trade.

If your great at adding UFA's (Richardson, Santo, Hammer, Garry, Lack, Archibald, Fox, McEneny) keep adding that way.

Getting better at drafting, and small trades :)

We could get a top 16 pick this year, and still have a chance in the playoffs = win win.

What we need in order of importance;

A puck moving D.

That wing for the Twins.

Wait, I'm confused. All the Canucks needed last summer was a third line center. Now they need a puck moving defenseman AND a winger for the Sedin's?

Archived