The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the most important save in Canucks history?

apollo

I will go with Lui's and I will state my reasons.

Mc Leans was against a powerhouse Flames team that was supposed to beat us. We had pushed it to game 7 and if it goes in its just another 1st round exit that we had been so accustomed to.

True we would have missed a glorious run , but the franchise itself would have carried on as usual.

The Canucks finished 1st overall in 2011 and lead in almost every category convieveable which hadnt been done since the powerhouse 76-77 Canadiens.

Going out in the first round, even to the cup champs , would have been a very bitter feeling like no matter what we do we lose anyways.

But blowing a 3-0 lead on top of that would have permanently damaged the franchise. We would be mocked as ultra losers and be the butt end of many jokes for decades. Until we won the cup anyways.

So Luongo's save was far more important to the franchise. :)

The fact that were still talking about McLeans save 20 years later just goes to show how important it was. People rarely mention Luongo's save even a year after the run. Luongo's save compared to the save Fleury made in game seven Stanley cup game isn't even close either.

If you have to go back and pick the first 3 things that come to mind (excluding Riots) in each run what comes to mind. Luongo's save is merely overshadowed by everything else that happened in that run

1.Bure's OT goal

2.McLean Save

3.Bure's Elbow/Trevor will play in game 7/ Lafayette post?

1.The fail against BOS

2.Burrows goal

3.Kelser Beast mode/ stanchion goal/ biting talk/ Luongo trash talk/ giving up a 3-0 lead?

I might be bias as I was at the saddle dome when that save happened in 94 and the crowd was stunned.

Since you guys seem to be talking about only these two I'll let you guys get a better look at them.

(Turn the sound off the music is very loud in this one)

For me the luongo when if you consider the circumstances is way better since we had a 3-0 series lead and the hawks weren't even expected to make it that far.

However, if you consider positioning and size McLean hands down; he was so out of position and somehow he still makes the save not the mention how much less of net he covers compared to luongo.

With both saves I remember thinking the moment before that the game was over and that there was going to be a sure goal. Both are great in their own ways but Mcleans is way better cause it is a much tougher save to make.

Both teams had similar out comes at the end of the playoffs. That being said we were up 3-0 in that series and Kirk was never an elite goalie so,

The Save of The Century

and we were down 3-0 to the flames in that series....don't forget....completely different extremes...

Kirk's save was the one for me....pure difficulty, the fact we were the huge underdog etc etc....and what it spurred us on to do...2011 team was a favorite to push for the cup 1994 scraped into the playoffs and was a cinderalla story

and just level of difficulty, Kirk's save was just ridiculous..Lou's was very good but simply good positioning, Kirk's was desperation everything he had left, and he found a way to stop that puck...

you should know that just looking at stats sheets does not tell the story. He just happened to play on some very average and even horrible Canucks teams. He was nominated for vezinas. he played in the all star game. He got a standing ovation in the montreal forum when he shut out the canadians 3-0. The ninety four cup run especially game Seven against the Rangers just may be the greatest performance from a goalie in our era. Scotty bowman even said he loved kirk Mcleans style. Please dont go by a stat sheet.

McLean was an upper echelon goalie in the early 90s. Dont forget, he and Luongo are tied for Vezina nominations as a Canuck.

I think "The Save" was better. The '94 team was expected to do nothing that year and came back from 3-1 down against Calgary very largely due to that save. We've never come as close to the cup as we did with that cinderella team.

As much fun as the 2011 run was until it all went to hell in the Final, honestly I dont think Luongo should've even had to make his save on Sharp. We should've won that series way sooner than we did but due in part to Luongo's game 4 and 5 meltdowns the series went to the bitter end.

Hindsight of course is 20/20 but sometimes I wonder if it would've actually been better if Sharp did score. Sure, our team would be a laughingstock and we wouldn't have had the fun of a long playoffs that year, but just maybe some necessary changes would've happened to our team sooner. We won the PT again in 2012, with AV surely being fired after hypothetically blowing the 2011 playoffs and a few tweaks to our roster as well, maybe we would've gotten past LA and had the easy road to the 2012 cup instead of them. We'll never know I guess, it's a lot of 'what ifs?'.

Luongo's save preserved our 2011 run to a third 2nd place finish but potentially might have cost us a championship the following year.

The 94 cup run was a fluke... your absolutely right and why did no one expect it? Man i remember thinking 2-3 weeks before the playoffs that we'd never make the playoffs at all but other teams faltered and we won a game or 2 at the end and got in by the skin of our teeth.

The 94 cup run was a fluke... your absolutely right and why did no one expect it? Man i remember thinking 2-3 weeks before the playoffs that we'd never make the playoffs at all but other teams faltered and we won a game or 2 at the end and got in by the skin of our teeth.

It wasn't really a fluke at all. We had a solid team for a few years on an off year that made the playoffs by a large margin. Unless of course you consider the Kings SC a "fluke".

That year we just got it... Plus we didn't have the kind of team the kings had either, you can't even compare the type of team we had in 94 to that of the kings. The kings are a bigger tougher grittier team by FAR than what our team looked like in 94.

Without the star we had in Bure, we would have not even got into the playoffs that yr.

How can you have "the save" when you have zero cups?

Fighting over McLean's '94 save and Luongo's '11 save is useless. Neither won the cup and both went the equal length (game 7 of SCF).

I'm guessing he means 7th in the conference and 14 points ahead of the 9th place team. Just got in?

Thanks, yes i remember having a discussion on a loading dock with another guy while before that (2-3 weeks) was my best guess. May have been longer but we both said we probably wouldn't make it if the ducks and kings played well in the final stretch but they didn't. We constantly heard the problem of struggling to hit 500 hockey, there was truth to that as we finished 1 game over 500. Somehow that ended up being good enough though.

Archived