The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the most important save in Canucks history?

apollo

How can you have "the save" when you have zero cups?

Fighting over McLean's '94 save and Luongo's '11 save is useless. Neither won the cup and both went the equal length (game 7 of SCF).

This is some deep cutting, concise thinking. You heard it here first folks, you can't have any memories of your favourite sports team unless they have won a Cup. You certainly can't compare them. So weird really, a hockey discussion on a hockey forum.

This is some deep cutting, concise thinking. You heard it here first folks, you can't have any memories of your favourite sports team unless they have won a Cup. You certainly can't compare them. So weird really, a hockey discussion on a hockey forum.

You can have memories, but you can't say which is more important because they accomplished equally.

Thanks, yes i remember having a discussion on a loading dock with another guy while before that (2-3 weeks) was my best guess. May have been longer but we both said we probably wouldn't make it if the ducks and kings played well in the final stretch but they didn't. We constantly heard the problem of struggling to hit 500 hockey, there was truth to that as we finished 1 game over 500. Somehow that ended up being good enough though.

Ok quit spewing the b.s. Canucks were never once in trouble of missing the playoffs that year, there was zero competition below them. Only problem was why they weren't leading the division as they had before in previous years and why their play was lackluster that year. I wen't to a pile of games those years and 94 was worrisome with their effort but they were never in any kind of danger of missing the playoffs.

You can have memories, but you can't say which is more important because they accomplished equally.

I can say which was more important. The world isn't nearly as black and white as you'd like to think it is. I can tell you which is more important in my mind.

Anyone old enough to REALLY remember both series will have far fonder memories of 1994. That alone makes McLean's save the 'more important' save. If we had won the Cup in either year THEN this discussion would be very different. In fact, if we won in 2011 then EVERY save Lu made in game 7 OT was more important than "the save".

The McLean save gave us a chance for the FIRST riot.

The McLean save gave us "oh he'll play, you know he'll play."

The McLean save gave us game one of the SCF.

The McLean save gave us ending the dreams of the LEafs.

The McLean save gave us the mother of all elbows.

The McLean save gave us Brown to Bure.

It's hard to find anything about 94 to really complain about other than the result. It was a great final.

Now ask anyone about 2011. Do they remember slaying the dragon or Marchand punching Sedin? Or a stanchion. Or maybe Kesler splitting the D in Nashville.

I can say which was more important. The world isn't nearly as black and white as you'd like to think it is. I can tell you which is more important in my mind.

Anyone old enough to REALLY remember both series will have far fonder memories of 1994. That alone makes McLean's save the 'more important' save. If we had won the Cup in either year THEN this discussion would be very different. In fact, if we won in 2011 then EVERY save Lu made in game 7 OT was more important than "the save".

The McLean save gave us a chance for the FIRST riot.

The McLean save gave us "oh he'll play, you know he'll play."

The McLean save gave us game one of the SCF.

The McLean save gave us ending the dreams of the LEafs.

The McLean save gave us the mother of all elbows.

The McLean save gave us Brown to Bure.

It's hard to find anything about 94 to really complain about other than the result. It was a great final.

Now ask anyone about 2011. Do they remember slaying the dragon or Marchand punching Sedin? Or a stanchion. Or maybe Kesler splitting the D in Nashville.

It was all about expectations really. I was disappointed after the 94 final but proud of what the Canucks achieved. They were a decent team with a couple of elite players, but were not even close to being an elite team. In 2011 everyone expected they would close it out, especially after going up 2-0. Beating the Leafs in the playoffs was epic. The only thing that could ever top that would be beating the Canadians. The riots both times were bush- it's only ever ok to riot if you win.

Best Canuck save ever? I dunno that Bieksa save on the empty net was pretty sweet, especially considering he scored 15 seconds later to tie the game. Makes my knees wobbly that that beast did that.

If that is a game 7 last minute play that leads to an eventual OT victory then it might be the all time play.

the only reason Luongos was in a bigger spot was because of the dribbler short handed goal chicago scored at the end of the 3rd to go to over time and at that point the whole team was 1 goal away from the worst collapse in NHL history... but for both chances it was save or go home...... but even non canuck fans and analysts say kirk mcleans play in that run was 1 of the greatest playoffs by a goalie in all time... the definition of stepping your game up ....in an era where there was more goals scored and goalies wore half the pads...Kirk finnished the 94 run with better GAA and S% than Lu did in 2011.... both Kirks GAA and S% were way better in the playoffs than regular season... Lu's got worse..... in playoffs compared to regular season..... ... so now ask yourself what save was bigger and for who??? Lus save saved the team for complete embarrassment (which came later) and Kirks help continue one off the most magical runs by an under dog team in NHL history.....

Best Canuck save ever? I dunno that Bieksa save on the empty net was pretty sweet, especially considering he scored 15 seconds later to tie the game. Makes my knees wobbly that that beast did that.

How about when he tried to make a save in game 7 SCF and he let it in making it 4-0. That was pretty nice, no?

the only reason Luongos was in a bigger spot was because of the dribbler short handed goal chicago scored at the end of the 3rd to go to over time and at that point the whole team was 1 goal away from the worst collapse in NHL history... but for both chances it was save or go home...... but even non canuck fans and analysts say kirk mcleans play in that run was 1 of the greatest playoffs by a goalie in all time... the definition of stepping your game up ....in an era where there was more goals scored and goalies wore half the pads...Kirk finnished the 94 run with better GAA and S% than Lu did in 2011.... both Kirks GAA and S% were way better in the playoffs than regular season... Lu's got worse..... in playoffs compared to regular season..... ... so now ask yourself what save was bigger and for who??? Lus save saved the team for complete embarrassment (which came later) and Kirks help continue one off the most magical runs by an under dog team in NHL history.....

Not to mention how much tougher McLean's save was compared to Lu's. Lu just slid over, turned his body to the right and he's done. Mclean came from the front all the way back in about the same time the puck was passed and used his too to get the puck out. If his toe doesn't touch the puck it's in. Sharps shot went into lu's shoulder and fell down.

ITs a bit of a trick question. The two saves are so very different in relation.

THe McLean save is more important in relation to the growth of the franchise. It was a BIG upset... coming back from 3 games to 1, and Bure mania was in full force. This save and era planted the seeds and built the foundation for a soon to be successfull franchise.

The Luongo save was important because it led to the slaying of the dragon, but IMO, it was the fact that it saved the Canucks from the absolute WORST collapse in franchise history, and at the hands of their arch rivals, which could have had catastrophic results.

http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=8449474

Career .887 SV% 3.26 GAA

McLean played in the highest-scoring era in NHL history. In 1992-1993, 21 players scored 100+ points, including 13 with 110+, 10 with 120+, and 6 with 130+ points. 14 players scored 50+ goals.

The best save% in 1992-1993 was CuJo with 0.911, and only 2 starting goalies had a GAA below 3.00. McLean was a great goalie for his era, and as others have mentioned above, he was nominated for 2 Vezinas.

Honestly, having lived through both and having been a ravenous, die-hard fan through both runs, I can't believe it's even a question for some people. Clearly, McLean's save was superior in every way

Just judging the saves against one another visually and even judging the circumstances, McLean's was far better. As others have said, McLean's helped cement one of the most improbable comebacks in nhl history, a 7th seed beating a 2 seed in three straight overtimes. Luongos simply preserved his teams chances to win in a game that should be remembered more for Corey Crawfords heroics more than his. Not only that but the series should have never gotten to that point. Luongos save was very nice, timely, and technically perfect, but, McLean's was sensational.

And as for the debate regarding the two Stanley cup runs, I can summarize my feelings quite simply. After 1994, I was sad but I felt an overwhelming sense of pride in my team. After 2011 I was mad and thoroughly embarrassed of my team and I felt like hiding in a hole for months.

Archived