The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

Now I know this might get locked, or it might even get pinned.

But every year around this time TSN does a silly daily Trade Rumour column which is basically 100% nonsense but encompasses pretty much all trade rumours and player rumours of the day. They run this until deadline day and almost nothing ever comes of it but it is almost always the rumours of the day anyways

So I am going to post daily this nonsense unless a Mod says otherwise or asks me not to. Hopefully it will cut down on some of the Eklund babble we see at the very least.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441149

The NHL's Mar. 5 Trade Deadline is drawing closer and teams will be deciding on whether to buy or sell while figuring out which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value.

Check out today's trade-related reports and speculation from around the NHL beat. And follow TSN.ca through Deadline Day for all the updates.

Be-Deviled

Devils beat writer Randy Miller of NJ.com makes a case for New Jersey to acquire veteran forward Daniel Briere from the Montreal Canadiens, saying that Briere may not be happy with his playing situation in Montreal, could be a top-line centre with the Devils and would be closer to his sons who live in Haddonfield, New Jersey.

Miller suggests that swapping Briere for defenceman Anton Volchenkov could work, as Volchenkov carries a $4.25 million cap hit through 2015-16 and Briere has a $4 million hit through next season.

But no so fast...

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun says that while Briere wasn't happy about spending time in the press box, he's had an impact since returning to the lineup and the situation with both sides seems to have settled down for now.

A source told him that a conversation Briere had with GM Marc Bergevin reassured him of his role and value to the team and with forward Alex Galchenyuk out for six weeks, Briere now should have a chance at regular ice time.

Canucks' Want List

As written by LeBrun on ESPN.com, the Vancouver Canucks would like to add a centre before the trade deadline and, if not a centre, a top-nine winger.

LeBrun says that Brad Richardson has been terrific as a No. 3 center for the Canucks, but feels if they can have him centring the fourth line and can upgrade the third center spot, they'd feel better about their playoff chances. If the can't they could keep Richardson in the No. 3 hole and upgrade the fourth-line centre job.

He adds that the Canucks are deep on defence throughout the organization and could put a blueliner out there to make a meaningful deal.

Patient Penguins

The Globe and Mail's Eric Duhatschek writes that the Pittsburgh Penguins could be interested in acquiring help on the wing with veterans like Ales Hemsky, Michael Cammalleri or Matt Moulson available, but will want to see how rookie Beau Bennett plays coming back off injury first.

He's expected back at some point next month and Duhatschek adds that GM Ray Shero would like to have him play a short stint in the minors before NHL play starts up again after the Olympics. The Penguins will expected to have Paul Martin back in the lineup by then, which leaves them with a surplus of defencemen.

Sizzling Sens

With six wins in their last eight games, the Ottawa Senators are in a dogfight for a postseason spot and re-signed general manager Bryan Murray is looking for another piece - most likely a forward - to make a run this spring.

"Just watching the progress in the last month and a little bit, I think that the objective now is certainly more than it was a month before," Murray said on a conference call. "We are available to make a deal."

On The Island

According to Arthur Staple of Newsday, the New York Islanders have had some contract discussions with Thomas Vanek's agent, but both sides are waiting to see what direction the team goes in down the stretch.

I'm sure we'll talk, but I'm trying to stay out of it," Vanek said. "Until something gets close, I need to focus on the games."

Vanek is in the final year of a seven-year, $50 million contract he signed with the Buffalo Sabres.

Staying In Denver?

As per Adrian Dater of the Denver Post, centre Ryan O'Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche have agreed to wait until the summer to discuss a new contract. O'Reilly, who's making $6.5 million this season, is still a restricted free agent in July.

On Feb. 28 of last year, the Avalanche matched a two-year, $10 million offer sheet from the Calgary Flames meaning the team can't trade O'Reilly for one year from the date they matched the offer.

I will be the first to chime in with a head shake at LeBrun. TSN and Sportsnet both flat out said Gillis was chasing Ott which to me is frigging baffling. Anything more than a 3rd round pick is an over payment for such a rental and re-signing him would only hamper the possibility of seeing Gaunce or Horvat make the team next season.

A top 9 winger? This part is rather frustrating and shoddy reporting. We need a top 6 winger or better yet pin it to a top 3 winger. Guaranteed .75 ppg player but that won't be cheap will it?

As you initially alluded to, rumours are just that on the TSN site. However, if the Canucks are looking to bolster their 3rd line center role without giving up too much, they can look at either Steve Ott or Olli Jokinen.

Between the two, it's a tough one. Jokinen is no longer the 70 point player he was poised to be. However, he is playing "alright" on the Jets, on pace for 50 points.

Steve Ott would not cost as much as Jokinen and would not bring the threat of scoring that Jokinen does. However, he does bring the added muscle and sandpaper that the Canucks could desperately use in the playoffs. The fear in picking up Ott is that the Canucks would like to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible during the playoffs. They have a terrific PK unit, so taking penalties is not as much an issue as last season. However, Ott already draws the attention from refs on a consistent basis, playing for the Canucks surely wouldn't help his cause.

Tough one really. Jokinen can be a no show at the best of times, while Ott has the possibility to rile opposition up to the point where they may feed off of his antics.

Ott would make us ridiculously deep at center.

Sedin

Kesler

Santorelli

Ott

Richardson

Dalpe

Richardson wins comparable F/O's comparable points and is a faster skater. Not sure we truly need Ott is the issue. We never do well with rentals and we do even worse with rentals at the C position

Anything more than a 3rd round pick is an over payment for such a rental and re-signing him would only hamper the possibility of seeing Gaunce or Horvat make the team next season.

I don't understand this logic? How would having Ott detract from our young players being able to play. There are tons of injuries in the NHL, if Horvat and Gaunce are ready to play, they will be on the ice. Why pencil them in already before they've proved it. Especially Gaunce who can be brought up and down from Utica next year.

As you initially alluded to, rumours are just that on the TSN site. However, if the Canucks are looking to bolster their 3rd line center role without giving up too much, they can look at either Steve Ott or Olli Jokinen.

Between the two, it's a tough one. Jokinen is no longer the 70 point player he was poised to be. However, he is playing "alright" on the Jets, on pace for 50 points.

Steve Ott would not cost as much as Jokinen and would not bring the threat of scoring that Jokinen does. However, he does bring the added muscle and sandpaper that the Canucks could desperately use in the playoffs. The fear in picking up Ott is that the Canucks would like to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible during the playoffs. They have a terrific PK unit, so taking penalties is not as much an issue as last season. However, Ott already draws the attention from refs on a consistent basis, playing for the Canucks surely wouldn't help his cause.

Tough one really. Jokinen can be a no show at the best of times, while Ott has the possibility to rile opposition up to the point where they may feed off of his antics.

My big fear with that is the Lapierre syndrome. While Ott seems to get a free ride in Dallas and Buffalo will he survive without suspension playing on the edge in Vancouver where every move by a player seems to end in suspension or penalty? So I am with you and Jokinnen seems like to much of a floater to be totally honest. If it's a bottom 6 C we need Matthias or a comparable big body might be our best bet. younger faster and biger

I don't understand this logic? How would having Ott detract from our young players being able to play. There are tons of injuries in the NHL, if Horvat and Gaunce are ready to play, they will be on the ice. Why pencil them in already before they've proved it. Especially Gaunce who can be brought up and down from Utica next year.

If we re-sign him we will have no use or need for Gaunce or Horvat with the big club next season is the issue.

Sedin

Kesler

Santorelli

Richardson

Schroeder

Ott

Redundancy, it was one of the things that kept us from bringing up rookies previously was that we'd rent someone sign someone or trade for someone and our youth would sit in Manitoba, Chicago or Utica. Ott as a rental...I am on the fence about, as a re-signing at his age and at his declining production ya. Our needs are much higher than the bottom 6

I will be the first to chime in with a head shake at LeBrun. TSN and Sportsnet both flat out said Gillis was chasing Ott which to me is frigging baffling. Anything more than a 3rd round pick is an over payment for such a rental and re-signing him would only hamper the possibility of seeing Gaunce or Horvat make the team next season.

A top 9 winger? This part is rather frustrating and shoddy reporting. We need a top 6 winger or better yet pin it to a top 3 winger. Guaranteed .75 ppg player but that won't be cheap will it?

Ott can play LW.

I'd like this pinned as well, you could use spoilers for daily trade rumours so we wouldn't have to look through a wall of text.

I prefer reading TSN over Eklund any day

Might just do that once I figure out the whole spoiler method. I tried spacing the specific articles out to avoid that solid wall.

I'm reading some of you posting about steve ott and how he doesn't score and what not, You people need to remember, it's not about what the Canucks need or their "wish list", they can only trade for who is available....if the player they feel is the PERFECT fit isn't available, they will simply have to over pay.

Yes Ott isn't going to score 30 goals for us, and he isn't a top 6 forward, but on Dallas he was a heck of a 3rd line Center, a heck of one. He isn't the most discipline player, but he wins draws, can kills penalties and is capable of putting up 30-40 points, he is gritty, and yet you people complain that we are interested in him? Give me a break, it's too hard to please Canucks fans.

And yes he will be a rental, but I don't think he would be that hard to extend... and yes Horvat might be ready next year, but I honestly feel that an experiences third line player like Ott is the better option over Horvat for next year.

Anyways, I like Ott because it wouldn't take an arm and a leg to get him. Because we have Horvat in the system, I would do:

Gaunce straight up for Ott, only reason is because Horvat probably won't be ready to be a top 6 forward as projected for a couple more years at least.

I'm reading some of you posting about steve ott and how he doesn't score and what not, You people need to remember, it's not about what the Canucks need or their "wish list", they can only trade for who is available....if the player they feel is the PERFECT fit isn't available, they will simply have to over pay.

Yes Ott isn't going to score 30 goals for us, and he isn't a top 6 forward, but on Dallas he was a heck of a 3rd line Center, a heck of one. He isn't the most discipline player, but he wins draws, can kills penalties and is capable of putting up 30-40 points, he is gritty, and yet you people complain that we are interested in him? Give me a break, it's too hard to please Canucks fans.

And yes he will be a rental, but I don't think he would be that hard to extend... and yes Horvat might be ready next year, but I honestly feel that an experiences third line player like Ott is the better option over Horvat for next year.

Anyways, I like Ott because it wouldn't take an arm and a leg to get him. Because we have Horvat in the system, I would do:

Gaunce straight up for Ott, only reason is because Horvat probably won't be ready to be a top 6 forward as projected for a couple more years at least.

Before you guys go nuts on me for saying I would trade Gaunce for Ott...i only do it if we can extend him. Absolutely zero chance without an extension.

Archived