The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

Someoen suggested Kesler for Shattenkirk straight across, used the fact we've Horvat Gaunce as the up and comers but a guy like Shattenkirk is a harder find.

Actually made a reasonable case for it

I'm sure St Loo would love Kesler. But they do have Sobotka, Backes and Berglund. Upgrading Sobotka makes more sense than them creating a hole on their D IMO.

If their up to letting Shatty go, unlikely that it is, I'm all for it!

Here's a dynamite move?

Ryan Kesler for Vladimir Sobotka, Chris Stewart and a second! St louis moves up the rankings as cup favorite?

Old News will love this one... :rolleyes:

Wonder how Kelly is doing, LOL!

Sorry CS, that's not what I had in mind.

I don't like the idea of giving up Kesler in order to land Sobotka - at all.

The idea was adding a guy that I think would make a stud of a 3c, making the Canucks more difficult to play against, and really solidifying the bottom 6 - removing Kesler from the mix pretty much defeats the purpose.

I'm also not as high on Stewart as most folks. He doesn't face particularly strong competition, he gets a lofty 61.4% offensive zone starts, he has a relative corsi of -12, he's not as consistently physical as advertised - don't get me wrong, a very good asset, but not near the top of my list, and to want to move Kesler, the return would have to be.

I'd love to ad Sobotka but would prefer to move primarily futures.

Sorry CS, that's not what I had in mind.

I don't like the idea of giving up Kesler in order to land Sobotka - at all.

The idea was adding a guy that I think would make a stud of a 3c, making the Canucks more difficult to play against, and really solidifying the bottom 6 - removing Kesler from the mix pretty much defeats the purpose.

I'm also not as high on Stewart as most folks. He doesn't face particularly strong competition, he gets a lofty 61.4% offensive zone starts, he has a relative corsi of -12, he's not as consistently physical as advertised - don't get me wrong, a very good asset, but not near the top of my list, and to want to move Kesler, the return would have to be.

I'd love to ad Sobotka but would prefer to move primarily futures.

I'll go back to the drawing board.

But Sobotka is one guy worth giving up futures. Problem is, St Lou will want battle hardened vets to pry away any young player.

I'll go back to the drawing board.

But Sobotka is one guy worth giving up futures. Problem is, St Lou will want battle hardened vets to pry away any young player.

I think the window of opportunity on Sobotka realistically may have existed last summer, but is probably closed firmly - or at least, the price has in all likelihood risen rapidly.

The Blues will have over 20 million in cap space this July - and their only UFAs are Morrow and Roy (aside from Colo and their goaltenders). Berglund, Sobotka and Schwartz are RFAs.

Which leads to my proposal.

Luongo for Sobotka (RFA).

I'll throw in a late round pick for Halak (UFA) that will make the cap work for the Blues and return a quality goaltender to tandem with Lack. If this deal could be cut tomorrow I jump on it.

Got a laugh out of Button on TSN trying to sell a revision that the Canucks simply feasted on a weak division in the past.

All those statisticians at TSN and they can't muster a fact.

Have a look at the Canucks record against every division in the NHL over that past three years and get back to us.

Derp.

I think the window of opportunity on Sobotka realistically may have existed last summer, but is probably closed firmly - or at least, the price has in all likelihood risen rapidly.

The Blues will have over 20 million in cap space this July - and their only UFAs are Morrow and Roy (aside from Colo and their goaltenders). Berglund, Sobotka and Schwartz are RFAs.

Which leads to my proposal.

Luongo for Sobotka (RFA).

I'll throw in a late round pick for Halak (UFA) that will make the cap work for the Blues and return a quality goaltender to tandem with Lack. If this deal could be cut tomorrow I jump on it.

No

a few hundred combinations have been thrown out as possible trade foder for GM MG to pursue ,nothing will fall in his lap an as it seems a lot of good suggestions have been put out there none have droned on as possible except the unreal. Im all for a retool the parts we have on roster are pretty sparse but could make for interesting run up to trade deadline.Team I would like to deal is Luongo for number one pick from nyi. this would shore up NYI an help them to playoffs

From the moment Thomas Vanek turned down a reported $50 million contract offer from the New York Islanders, the thought was he has to be moved. Is a deal imminent?

Pierre LeBrun: It's not imminent but it could happen before the end of the week, of course we have an Olympic trade freeze Friday at 3pm et. In a perfect world the Islanders would look to divest themselves of that big salary of Vanek's so they don't carry it through the Olympics. But that same big cap number is why some of the contenders – and we know that Los Angeles and Pittsburgh have some interest in Vanek – can't deal yet as they are right at the cap. So it makes this deal difficult before the Olympic freeze.

To get Vanek, the asking price is three assets: any combination of a first-round pick, a young player, and a prospect. Whatever the combination, Islanders GM Garth Snow is trying to get his big haul here because we know how much he gave up to get Vanek at the start of the season.

Bob McKenzie: The Islanders also have another asset in play in defenceman Andrew MacDonald. Here's a guy that is going to unrestricted free agency at the end of the season, he's only making $550,000 right now, but he leads the NHL in blocked shots. And for the last two seasons he's been the minutes leader for the Islanders. There has been a lot of interest in this player. The Islanders could do a deal with him, maybe between $4 million and $5 million a year, which would be a huge increase on what he's currently making, but the Islanders have lots of young defencemen coming and lots of teams are calling. MacDonald's name is definitely in play.

And is one of Thomas Vanek's ex-teammates also drawing interest?

McKenzie: That would be Steve Ott of the Buffalo Sabres. We all know that Matt Moulson has been drawing interest, with upwards of a double digit number of teams inquiring about Moulson's availability by the deadline. But Ott is attracting that much, if not more attention than Moulson.

Obviously keep an eye on the Sabres, they're at the bottom of the league and ready to offload people. In addition to Ott and Moulson there is the Ryan Miller scenario playing out but also Henrik Tallinder is another guy who could be moved as well as Drew Stafford and Cody McCormick.

Dave Bolland hasn't played since November 2. Is he still in play?

Darren Dreger: He's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, so Dave Nonis and the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to have to figure out what option they want to pursue with Bolland.

There are three of them: No. 1 is they'll negotiate relatively soon and find out what his number would be to avoid free agency.

No. 2 is if they don't like the number at this stage in the season, they wait and use him as their own rental to push for the playoffs.

No. 3, which isn't anywhere near as likely as No.1 but is certainly an option, is to trade Bolland if you know that a deal isn't likely to be made.

More From Pierre

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports on his ESPN.com blog that the Los Angeles Kings have interest in Thomas Vanek, but he might not be their top target. The Kings are also interested in Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri and Sam Gagner.

LeBrun adds that Predators centre David Legwand's name is coming up more frequently, while any moves made by the Vancouver Canucks this season won't be for rental players, but long-term assets.

What Do The Canucks Do?

Tony Gallagher of The Vancouver Province writes that the Canucks should get in the mix for a winger like Thomas Vanek, but added it would be difficult to acquire and retain such a player.

The benefit would be that the Sedins would have a sniper on their line, with Ryan Kesler centring Zack Kassian and Alex Burrows or Chris Higgins, Bo Horvat soon centring the third line with Higgins or Burrows, and Jannik Hansen with Tom Sestito to build out the fourth line.

Familiar Asset

Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports writes that the Phoenix Coyotes could be a strong fit for veteran forward Ray Whitney at the trade deadline.

Whitney is in the final year of a two-year contract with the Dallas Stars after two seasons with the Coyotes. "If we're in it, they (the Stars) probably won't do anything," Whitney said. "If we stumble here down the stretch, maybe they will. I don't really know what their thought is yet."

In 2011-12, Whitney and Radim Vrbata combined for 59 goals and 139 points.

Thomas Vanek? You're daft....Snow will be attempting to do everything to recoup losses made during the initial trade meaning he will overprice him. Our first should be untouchable as that future D or RW we need will be available and we are NOT renting.

Vanek is going to end up in Minnesota no matter what. Gods what a stupid idea. How does Gallagher even have a credible job still?

Thomas Vanek? You're daft....Snow will be attempting to do everything to recoup losses made during the initial trade meaning he will overprice him. Our first should be untouchable as that future D or RW we need will be available and we are NOT renting.

Vanek is going to end up in Minnesota no matter what. Gods what a stupid idea. How does Gallagher even have a credible job still?

Wait, people still consider Gallagher credible?!

Gallagher is in serious denial if he thinks this team is one sniper away from being a contender...

Undoubtedly, Vanek would be a nice asset to have, but he doesn't put us over the top and it's just not worth trading the future to get him.

Vanek would be the worst kind of knee jerk move. Worse than trading for cammo Larry out of Calgary

If we trade our 1st while we are 4 points away from a top 6 pick and on a pretty horrid slide for something that may or may not help us this year, I will cry. I would rather MG try and trade old talent for young talent and hope for a surprise, giving up a maximum of our 3rd round pick in case we finish bottom 10 and can pick up two solid players in the first two rounds of the draft. I would give up any of the following:

Tanev

Hamhuis

Edler

Garrison

Corrado

Hansen

Burrows

Luongo

Booth

I would even consider getting rid of Kesler for the right price.

We do not need a rental, we need a re-tool with some young players.

anybody know enough about next years draft? any exciting players we could potentially get if we slide down in standings.

No I am not sure, but there is always players we need. Current organizational needs are RW D with serious size and a PMD. Honka Mantha Vanier Mattsson and Collins are the D with size or PMD and Tuch Virtanen solidly fill our RW needs.

Seriously unsure why anyone suggests the Canucks be buyers at the deadline

Gallagher never fails to disappoint.

Honestly are you kidding Tony?

Vanek is turning down monstrosities of deals, and Gallagher wants to rent him?

The Islanders got fleeced in the Vanek deal and not surprisingly, Gallagher didn't learn a thing in the process.

Vanek has some points (anyone would with Tavares and Okposo).

He also has 14 hits, 17 blocks, -22 giveaway to takeaways, and uninspiring underlying numbers (19th on the Isles with a -5.2 relative corsi and 59% offensive zone starts).

Snow lost a 1st a 2nd and a very good roster UFA to an ill-advised Vanek deal.

Taking Tony's advice would constitute one of the stupidest deals in franchise history - ironically coming from a person who still blames the Neely deal for the SCF loss in 2011.

It wouldn't be so tempting to rip his crap apart if he wasn't such a sarcastic moron every time he hits his keyboard in futility.

I actually agree in principle that a top six winger could help the lineup - that's an absolute no brainer - and virtually every team in the NHL outside Chicago needs scoring punch - but his prescription is about as stupid as anything uttered in our proposals forum.

Herpaderp.

Thank gawd Gillis could give a crap less about a word published in the Province.

Archived