The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Steve Mason

The whole hockey world knows it was a terrible signing, that's fact.

You can defend it all you want, it was one of the worst contracts ever signed in NHL history.

I think they should stick with career back-ups from now on.

I am not saying it wasn't a bad signing he turned out to be a complete head case. But it is kind of funny that you would argue that a worse a contract than many of the contracts that have and still have cap hit despite not playing. I mean the Islanders still get a cap hit from Yashin and you are going to argue Bryz? Just seems silly to me

Maybe. Snider denies his influence though I admit I feel he has some influence.

That is also untrue though. Bryz could have been signed for the price of one Richards or Carter but they moved both and they moved both because the team had a locker room to immature to coexist. Still even so even statistically it's not like they got a bad deal. What they got has a higher scoring percentage and is just as good defensively.

And as far as Bob goes you really going to try to convince me that you saw him as a Vezina winner with the season he posted?

Lets just say it did not work out?

I personally liked, and still like the Carter and Richards deals. Simmonds and Couts both are solid contributors, Simmonds a beast at times physically, he may get better and I believe Schenn has potential to burst out. Voracek is close to Carter offensively. And the team got cap relief.

They just did not spend that cap relief wisely.

Overall the trade was basically

Out

- Jeff Carter

- Mike Richards

In

- Jake Voracek

- Wayne Simmonds

- Brayden Schenn

- Sean Couturier

- Nick Cousins (20 years old in the AHL currently)

*- Nick Grossmann

**- Ilya Bryzgalov

*Originally the Flyers got a 2nd round pick from the Kings but they flipped it to the Stars in exchange for Grossmann

**Obviously Bryz was signed with the extra cap space

In a way you can also give credit to the trade for Giroux's emergence as it gave him full control as the top line center.

Even with Bryz you are right it really wasn't a bad trade. The last season with Richie and Carts the Flyers offense was ranked 3rd at 3.12 goals a game. The next season without them the offense ranked 2nd with 3.17 goals a game. The goals against with Carts and Richie was 2.63 and without them it did jump a bit to 2.74 per game however I feel the biggest factor in that was not the loss of that duo but the loss of Chris Pronger who suffered his career ending injury 8 games into that season. If it means anything the Flyers GAA before Pronger's injury that season was 2.63 also.

Even if you just compare the main players in the trade the production is nearly identical

Stats averages since the trade

Mike Richards

Point Per Game Average: 0.63

Goal Per Game Average: 0.22

Jeff Carter

Point Per Game Average: 0.81

Goal Per Game Average: 0.46

Jake Voracek

Point Per Game Average: 0.74

Goal Per Game Average: 0.31

Wayne Simmonds

Point Per Game Average: 0.66

Goal Per Game Average: 0.34

If you want to factor in development and since the players really broke out Voracek has the highest point per game pace at 0.84 over the past 2 seasons. Simmonds pace is 0.72 over the last 2 seasons. Carter is at 0.74 and Richards is at 0.66.

So really no complaints at all and Richards defensive play as been replaced by excellently by Couturier. And Schenn has picked it up of late. His pace over the last 21 games would have him as a 60 point player. And of course B. Schenn, Simmonds, and Grossmann are all physical players.

As far as Bryz goes I chalk it up to hindsight being 20/20. Flyers needed a goalie and it was the hot button. Playing with a waiver claim AHL goalie cost them in the cup finals especially when the game winning goal came off a bad angle shot. The next season they let Bobrovsky be the man and he posted a GAA of 3.23 and a save percentage of .877 leading them to an early exit.

At the time Bryz was the best looking goalie available with an impressive resume. Vezina finalist, career averages in GAA and save percentage that could only be topped by select few, and despite the knocks for his play against the Red Wings in the playoffs he still has a .917 save percentage in the playoffs at the time. Only Thomas and Lundqvist has higher marks at the time.

Not to mention his success wasn't chalked up as a system goalie at the time. He posted a 2.48 GAA and .921 save percent his final year as a Coyote. His back up posted a 3.26 GAA and a .909 save percentage on what was considered a poor Coyotes unit at the time.

So yeah in hindsight I don't argue it was a bad signing but I am not crucifying Homer for the signing. The team had a need and he went out and got the best option on paper. As a fan I respect what he did. The Flyers maintain strong fan hype because they are bold and relentless at producing a strong product. When it was obvious Bryz was not going to work they cut him loose and Snider didn't cheap out by keeping him around and beating a dead horse. When they need something they go for it, they took Forsberg. When they had a bad year they refused to rebuild and went and took Briere, Timonen, Hartnell and were right back in the ECF. When the defense was shallow they brought in Pronger. They added Carle. And though all of this have still cranked out numerous well developed farm grown prospects.

So yeah Bryz... bad deal in hindsight. One of a few, it was handled quickly and is in the past. More often than not the aggressiveness works out and I support it.

*ends massive ramble*

Bad deal for Philly. Between his first and current season he has been the worst goalie in the modern era with 100+ games played.

Even this year his unreal save pct has dropped to a modest .917. He has been getting wins lately but has had a .900+ save pct in only 7 of his last 16. Compare that with Eddie Lack who has 14/20 with 900+ this season.

You realize he has two more wins that Luo right? And he's on a worse team, so how bad can he really be?

Philly's a worse team?

That's debatable. They're higher in the standings than us.

Vancouver is 11th

Philly is 15th

Philly is in a weaker conference with weaker opposition. They are 3rd in the weakest division ahead of Washington,Columbus, New Jersey,Long Island and Carolina. Not much debate. That's like saying the rangers are better than the kings cause they are 5th in the east and the kings are 6th in the west.

Vancouver is 11th

Philly is 15th

Philly is in a weaker conference with weaker opposition. They are 3rd in the weakest division ahead of Washington,Columbus, New Jersey,Long Island and Carolina. Not much debate. That's like saying the rangers are better than the kings cause they are 5th in the east and the kings are 6th in the west.

League standings mean nothing in regards to playoffs.

The bottom line is they're holding a top 3 position in their division, and we're not.

If the Canucks could beat any of the teams ahead of them they might have one of those spots, but they can't.

League standings mean nothing in regards to playoffs.

The bottom line is they're holding a top 3 position in their division, and we're not.

If the Canucks could beat any of the teams ahead of them they might have one of those spots, but they can't.

So you do think the rangers are a better team than the kings! Fair enough.

Archived