The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] War: Nucks 3, Flames 2

TheRussianRocket.

Was Burrows mocking O'brien pretenting his glove was a bottle of booze on the bench?

As for little Glenn Healy aka PJ Stock, ask Phil Kessel what happened when he was put out against John Scott and Buffalo to defuse the situation.

What hit the ice first Westgraths gloves or the puck?

Blake Price and Paterson are whiny little bitches I swear. These guys have never been in a fight before.

The team is finally showing some balls and he's complaining about not scoring enough goals...

Does team1040 purposely sign annoying bitches to work for them?!

Those two idiots complain about not scoring enough goals on every single broadcast, like it's the only thing in the world that matters.

I wish no one had restrained Torts, I bet he was going to take McGrattan on himslef. I mean if your coach can take on any opposition heavyweight, what does that say about the canucks new level of toughness.

Torts would've had his organs handed to him on a plate. He crossed the line looking for Hartley at the Flames dressing room. The league is going to come down hard on him, and that won't help the Canucks. But I do admire his passion and his willingness to protect his players.

The Canucks have had three games in a row now filled with fights and misconducts... all justified on the part of the Canucks because they were just standing up for themselves. It's just too bad everyone ... opposition players, fans, referees, league brass... are unfairly going to brand them as just a goon squad. Referees in particular are going to give them a very short leash.

Tough for Lain but sort of worked out (losing a non NHLer vs say Kesler).

And hey...crazy as it is, Lain with his 2 seconds of play is now invested as a Canuck. He'll get a lot of props from the boys for dropping his mitts against a pretty tough customer. And because of Torts' guilt over it, Lain will also get to play a few games now to see what he can do.

Its ok that the Canucks stuck up for themselves but against a team like Calgary it wasnt needed. They are a nothing team and it wasnt worth risking injuries or tiring out the other 4 D-men in a game like this.

When Torts seen there starting lineup he should have been chopping his lips and stacked the opening line up with Sedins/Kes or if you are really worried about the twins then put Burrow/Kes/Booth ( some skilled guys ) . You have 3 meatheads who are weak players out there for calgary so take advantage of it and skate around those pylons. If Westgarth/Mgratten still go after our players then go for it and for once we'd have a 7 min PP or an extended 5x3 .

The Canucks have had three games in a row now filled with fights and misconducts... all justified on the part of the Canucks because they were just standing up for themselves. It's just too bad everyone ... opposition players, fans, referees, league brass... are unfairly going to brand them as just a goon squad. Referees in particular are going to give them a very short leash.

I'll admit the Canucks' recent round of punchups isn't the prettiest thing in the world, and there is a weird awkwardness about it, but they're doing what they have to do. Somebody (Torts?) has had enough of the lack or response and decided things are going to change. If people around the league are going to throw labels around, then fine, whatever. But there isn't nobody who doesn't understand it. The NHL is very a much a boys-will-be-boys clubhouse, and off the record, most people will admit it's high time the Canucks started to man-up and start looking after themselves. I expect once the league takes full notice, things will calm down during Canucks games. This is just a temporary spike in emotions. But it is important for the Canucks to remain consistent in their approach that they let it be known they'll respond when they have to with no hesitation. They can't be seen picking their spots on that.

Was Burrows mocking O'brien pretenting his glove was a bottle of booze on the bench?

As for little Glenn Healy aka PJ Stock, ask Phil Kessel what happened when he was put out against John Scott and Buffalo to defuse the situation.

What hit the ice first Westgraths gloves or the puck?

That's exactly what I thought Burr was doing. Nothing is off limits for him. Reminded me of when he scooped up some snow with his stick and offered it to Mike Richards.

Its ok that the Canucks stuck up for themselves but against a team like Calgary it wasnt needed. They are a nothing team and it wasnt worth risking injuries or tiring out the other 4 D-men in a game like this.

When Torts seen there starting lineup he should have been chopping his lips and stacked the opening line up with Sedins/Kes or if you are really worried about the twins then put Burrow/Kes/Booth ( some skilled guys ) . You have 3 meatheads who are weak players out there for calgary so take advantage of it and skate around those pylons. If Westgarth/Mgratten still go after our players then go for it and for once we'd have a 7 min PP or an extended 5x3 .

Wrong. When you're at home, you don't let the opponent dictate the terms of engagement.

I'll admit the Canucks' recent round of punchups isn't the prettiest thing in the world, and there is a weird awkwardness about it, but they're doing what they have to do. Somebody (Torts?) has had enough of the lack or response and decided things are going to change. If people around the league are going to throw labels around, then fine, whatever. But there isn't nobody who doesn't understand it. The NHL is very a much a boys-will-be-boys clubhouse, and off the record, most people will admit it's high time the Canucks started to man-up and start looking after themselves. I expect once the league takes full notice, things will calm down during Canucks games. This is just a temporary spike in emotions. But it is important for the Canucks to remain consistent in their approach that they let it be known they'll respond when they have to with no hesitation. They can't be seen picking their spots on that.

Not sure anything solves the league's intransigence, but your logic looks solid. Especially the last bit.

So when LA and Anahiem did it to us at home and beat us both games, that was wrong of them ?

The minute Nolan ran Hank at the start of the game in L.A., and Sestito went out to answer up on the next face-off, the Canucks' changed their tune. Right then, right there. Fine. But they now have to be consistent about it. If the Canucks had started skill players last night, who knows what McGrattan and Westgarth would have done. But Torts wasn't about to sit around and find out. He's been around the team for more than half of a season and figured it's time to sack-up. I can't say he's wrong.

The minute Nolan ran Hank at the start of the game in L.A., and Sestito went out to answer up on the next face-off, the Canucks' changed their tune. Right then, right there. Fine. But they now have to be consistent about it. If the Canucks had started skill players last night, who knows what McGrattan and Westgarth would have done. But Torts wasn't about to sit around and find out. He's been around the team for more than half of a season and figured it's time to sack-up. I can't say he's wrong.

I dont have a problem with the LA game even though we got lucky LA didnt beat us 9-1 with a 7 min PP. There are times to defend your teamates and times to even the bell but against a useless team like Calgary , i dont see it necessary. We arent fighting them for a playoff spot, nothing happened in the 2 previous games that warrented revenge. Like i said, if McGrattan and Westgarth tried going after Booth/Burrows or Kesler then take the extended 5x3 and make them look like idiots.

Agree

I dont have a problem with the LA game even though we got lucky LA didnt beat us 9-1 with a 7 min PP. There are times to defend your teamates and times to even the bell but against a useless team like Calgary , i dont see it necessary. We arent fighting them for a playoff spot, nothing happened in the 2 previous games that warrented revenge. Like i said, if McGrattan and Westgarth tried going after Booth/Burrows or Kesler then take the extended 5x3 and make them look like idiots.

How would you have reacted if Torts had followed your advice and one of those guys got hurt? Burr's just coming off an injury and is taking extra precautions. We'll also look like idiots when we don't score on the 5 on 3 due to our PP sucking.

How would you have reacted if Torts had followed your advice and one of those guys got hurt? Burr's just coming off an injury and is taking extra precautions. We'll also look like idiots when we don't score on the 5 on 3 due to our PP sucking.

Do you really think McGrattan would have just grabbed a Sedin off the faceoff and started ragdolling him ? Have we ever seen that in the NHL where a goon grabs a star player for no reason ? The closest we've come to seeing that was with Jon Scott and Kessel and Phil provoked that on.

And Burrows wasnt taking any precautions when he engaged with Giordano not much later. Why didnt anyone go after Gio for throwing punches at Burrows ?

Do you really think McGrattan would have just grabbed a Sedin off the faceoff and started ragdolling him ? Have we ever seen that in the NHL where a goon grabs a star player for no reason ? The closest we've come to seeing that was with Jon Scott and Kessel and Phil provoked that on.

And Burrows wasnt taking any precautions when he engaged with Giordano not much later. Why didnt anyone go after Gio for throwing punches at Burrows ?

Westgarth would have just went for the crosscheck to the rib area...

The last time the Canucks played Calgary, McGrattan went high on Alberts and wiped him out. I don't know if Hartley was expecting a revenge-call by starting McGrattan and Westgarth. I don't know why he started them, but clearly there was some message being sent. Would they have attacked the Sedins? Probably not, but who knows? In his current condition, I wouldn't have subjected Burrows to it either. But one thing is clear, Torts is now not leaving the Sedins to be a piece of liver on a plate for the other teams' dogs to chew on anymore. He had no choice. As for turning the other cheek and letting McGrattan and Westgarth take a dumb penalty or two, I don't know if that would or wouldn't have happened. But one thing has changed: the Canucks' PP doesn't scare anyone anymore. The days of letting the opponent take liberties and then killing them on the PP is over. Torts is dealing in the here and now, not the utopian idea of what used to be around here.

Archived