The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] War: Nucks 3, Flames 2

TheRussianRocket.

Well that was an interesting game to follow on Twitter....

Not sure what is going on with this team. What does it mean? Why are they resorting to this as a method of operation?

Do we not trust in our skill anymore? We're just gonna goon it up so that if we're not winning battles on the scoreboard, we're at least winning the battle of the fists?

I shouldn't really judge mind you. I didn't watch what happened, nor do I care to.

Glad we got the 2 points...with half a team...

Worst mod on this board.

"I didn't watch the game, but here is my uninformed opinion anyway. Maybe you should see what happened to start the game,the type of tactics Hartley uses (treats his players like pawns and then acts the coward).

The team didn't resort to anything. They played the game the right way.

Do you really think McGrattan would have just grabbed a Sedin off the faceoff and started ragdolling him ? Have we ever seen that in the NHL where a goon grabs a star player for no reason ? The closest we've come to seeing that was with Jon Scott and Kessel and Phil provoked that on.

And Burrows wasnt taking any precautions when he engaged with Giordano not much later. Why didnt anyone go after Gio for throwing punches at Burrows ?

Not only that but who would end-up looking like the smarter coach is CGY's 4th line gets tossed and VAN's 1st, 2nd or 3rd line gets tossed?

Plus they knew Hank was injured and Hartley was basically daring Torts to put the Sedins or Kesler out against Westgarth at Center. Westgarth grabbed Bieksa right away and was asking Lain to go before the puck even dropped. What makes you think he had anything else in mind...or any other instructions for that matter.

Torts saw this bush-league move from a mile away and was eyeballing Hartley before the puck even dropped.

This is getting ridiculous.

This past week has been a disaster for the Canucks and all because we are letting everybody else in the league push our buttons at will. In the LA game we were still choked that Brown had the unmitigated audacity to be shoved into our goalie by an idiot defenseman while scoring a big goal and to make matters worse on of their less skilled players ACTALLY ATTEMPTED A HIT on our twinkie soft Swedish captain (sound familiar?). We send our gorilla out to mug the offender and then scream blue murder when he gets penalized for it. Of course we lose the game; we aren't even playing hockey by this point with our Dutch Gretzky slewfooting LA's stars at random and guys like Kassian running around chirping like budgies. No problem guys, it was a "moral victory". So having shown the league what badasses we are we go into Anaheim and get our butts handed to us in no uncertain terms so, once the game is totally out of hand at 7-1 we goon it up again (I have the strangest feeling of deja vu). The game in Phoenix was a tad less ridiculous, probably because the Nux were tired from the nonsense the night before yet, despite our showing everybody how "tough" we are Martin Hanzal manages to dismantle three of our players without much effort or retribution. Next come the terrible Flames who, having watch the disturbing transformation of the Canucks from softies into goons put their 4th line on the ice to start the game. Rather than put out a line that is superior in talent and try to score a goal we once again play right into the hands of the Flames and another donnybrook ensues. Because of the unmitigated audacity of Bob Hartley in icing a line that doesn't meet his approval Torts goes completely nuts, challenging Hartley at the bench and then proceeding to melt down outside the door of the visitors dressing room (a huge no no in the NHL). Poor Canucks, those nasty Flames iced a line that we don't like. Now it looks like we will be without the services of our "firey" coach for at least a few games while still being mired in a dreadful slump that is largely of our own making. All because we are reacting to everybody else's moves instead of forcing them to react to ours. Can another Bertuzzi incident be far behind? I mean, we are creating a new bogeyman nearly every game and since we refuse to let things stay in the past it is inevitable that one or another of our favorite bogeymen will fall into the sights of a guy like Sestito or Kassian and one of them could make a "mistake" just like Saint Todd.That would sure show the world how "tough" we are wouldn't it?

I love how Weekes basically says that because torts not on an original 6 team anymore, he is going to get penalized

It's true though, the league makes "veteran calls" and favours the original six and developing markets. He's calling it as it is, even though he backtracked a bit on the comment after

Not only that but who would end-up looking like the smarter coach is CGY's 4th line gets tossed and VAN's 1st, 2nd or 3rd line gets tossed?

Plus they knew Hank was injured and Hartley was basically daring Torts to put the Sedins or Kesler out against Westgarth at Center. Westgarth grabbed Bieksa right away and was asking Lain to go before the puck even dropped. What makes you think he had anything else in mind...or any other instructions for that matter.

Torts saw this bush-league move from a mile away and was eyeballing Hartley before the puck even dropped.

Exactly. The risk, no matter how small, of having the Sedins get taken advantage of against a fourth line that was clearly put out there by Hartley to send a message is too great a risk. If you're Torts, you don't think about what 'analysts' or 'fans' might think, you do what is best for the team. What is best for the team is to avoid putting your star players at risk of injury.The downside is that you put your 4th line guys at risk of injury. You choose the lesser of two evils.

That's why Torts apologized to his players last night. Torts doesn't believe that a coach has the right to tell players to fight, but he basically forced his 4th line guys into that position. That is the difference between Torts and Hartley. Hartley has no respect for his fourth line guys and uses them like pawns (just ask Scott Parker).

Interesting that there's no discussion whatsoever about the Referees not even trying to lift a finger by approaching both coaching staffs to at least warn the benches, when it was obvious what was about to occur?

Possibly, Hartley wants to avoid being the 4th coach to be fired, so he did what he was told to do, you can see Burkie's fingerprints all over that starting lineup.

You can see how Tortorella is capable of inspiring his players and adjusting on the fly, he gets more out of less, why? Because he's passionate about his team and showed his players that he's willing to go through the wall for them.

This was a great result, we're going to be better for this, we're always competitive even through all the injuries, back to back gauntlet of a schedule, questionable 2 man short for 7 minute refereeing BS, PJ and all the whiners be damned, last I looked we still had more wins and fewer losses that the NY Rangers, and we're in the toughest division in the league.

You have to admire Tortorella, he's not perfect, but just a great job so far.

This past week has been a disaster for the Canucks and all because we are letting everybody else in the league push our buttons at will. In the LA game we were still choked that Brown had the unmitigated audacity to be shoved into our goalie by an idiot defenseman while scoring a big goal and to make matters worse on of their less skilled players ACTALLY ATTEMPTED A HIT on our twinkie soft Swedish captain (sound familiar?). We send our gorilla out to mug the offender and then scream blue murder when he gets penalized for it. Of course we lose the game; we aren't even playing hockey by this point with our Dutch Gretzky slewfooting LA's stars at random and guys like Kassian running around chirping like budgies. No problem guys, it was a "moral victory". So having shown the league what badasses we are we go into Anaheim and get our butts handed to us in no uncertain terms so, once the game is totally out of hand at 7-1 we goon it up again (I have the strangest feeling of deja vu). The game in Phoenix was a tad less ridiculous, probably because the Nux were tired from the nonsense the night before yet, despite our showing everybody how "tough" we are Martin Hanzal manages to dismantle three of our players without much effort or retribution. Next come the terrible Flames who, having watch the disturbing transformation of the Canucks from softies into goons put their 4th line on the ice to start the game. Rather than put out a line that is superior in talent and try to score a goal we once again play right into the hands of the Flames and another donnybrook ensues. Because of the unmitigated audacity of Bob Hartley in icing a line that doesn't meet his approval Torts goes completely nuts, challenging Hartley at the bench and then proceeding to melt down outside the door of the visitors dressing room (a huge no no in the NHL). Poor Canucks, those nasty Flames iced a line that we don't like. Now it looks like we will be without the services of our "firey" coach for at least a few games while still being mired in a dreadful slump that is largely of our own making. All because we are reacting to everybody else's moves instead of forcing them to react to ours. Can another Bertuzzi incident be far behind? I mean, we are creating a new bogeyman nearly every game and since we refuse to let things stay in the past it is inevitable that one or another of our favorite bogeymen will fall into the sights of a guy like Sestito or Kassian and one of them could make a "mistake" just like Saint Todd.That would sure show the world how "tough" we are wouldn't it?

Cant you just pick another team to watch??

Some good posts on this thread. Only a few trools (Thema, lucky luciano, heritic). I have been a fan of the Canucks for a lifetime, but I honestly love them now. They are finally saying, "Lets play hockey, but you can't bully us anymore". And, that goes for the reffing too. What Tort's is saying is we don't give a crap about you refs, you are not going to decide the game anymore. He is also telling the league "frack you". Only trolls will not be on board. Go canucks!!

Interesting that there's no discussion whatsoever about the Referees not even trying to lift a finger by approaching both coaching staffs to at least warn the benches, when it was obvious what was about to occur?

Possibly, Hartley wants to avoid being the 4th coach to be fired, so he did what he was told to do, you can see Burkie's fingerprints all over that starting lineup.

You can see how Tortorella is capable of inspiring his players and adjusting on the fly, he gets more out of less, why? Because he's passionate about his team and showed his players that he's willing to go through the wall for them.

This was a great result, we're going to be better for this, we're always competitive even through all the injuries, back to back gauntlet of a schedule, questionable 2 man short for 7 minute refereeing BS, PJ and all the whiners be damned, last I looked we still had more wins and fewer losses that the NY Rangers, and we're in the toughest division in the league.

You have to admire Tortorella, he's not perfect, but just a great job so far.

The refs did go over to the benches, one even put his hands on tortorella, you must have missed it

Whatever way you look at it, one of the greatest wins in Canucks history. For sure, a win that will be remembered forever. The Canucks have now made it clear: they have the nastiest team in the league, coach included. Great to see how no one even looks at the Sedins sideways anymore.

The refs did go over to the benches, one even put his hands on tortorella, you must have missed it

If that's what happened before the faceoff, I did miss that. And if that's what happened, I guess the referees are powerless to influence such antics.

If that's what happened before the faceoff, I did miss that. And if that's what happened, I guess the referees are powerless to influence such antics.

I would say the refs influenced such antics by ejecting 8 players! That sure put an end to the antics of those guys.

The enter key is a wonderful invention.

If by powerless to influence you mean capable of fomenting by sleazy concerted action and inaction, yet strangely powerless to prevent.

Archived