The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burke strikes again

Why does he hate vancouver? is it cause he hates gillis or he hates being fired before sedins/kesler did well?

I still like him for what he did for us.

Wow! You can find your answers in so many threads upon these boards. Check out many of my previous posts..if you want to read a rant or 2 about Burkie's pathway to league power-monger & voting-block chum of Jeremy Jacobs (BOS owner) the perennial league BOG Chairman. Their efforts to screw-over progressive teams like the 'Nucks & to prop-up their voting-block allies by seeding positions like the Directorship of the NHLOA or the newly formed DPS with 0-6 favoring appointees who will discriminate against non-block-allied teams....is NO secret.

It guess it began when Burke was bested by Gillis (Bure's new agent) in Bure's battle to leave VAN & get the money he was owed by team. Board-room battles for ownership of the Canucks franchise became a battle between the Aquilinis's & the Gaglardi group (who now own the DAL Stars). Burkie & his best bud & then VAN GM Dave Nonis,,,, supported the Gaglardi group - who LOST. Later - there were the NHL's tampering charges made by Gillis...when Burkie tried to steal the Sedins from the Canucks for TOR. I believe that the changes to LT contracts & the new CBA's make-whole provision conbined with a very low imposed cap after the shortened season...was devise to hurt VAN's trading options forcing VAN to relinquish 1 of their star goalies to TOR or one of the other voting-block teams...for nothing. Gillis dodged that bullet ...sort of.

The fact that the 2-time President's trophy winning Canucks were becoming a progrssively more skilled anti-violence team....& that the League Chairman's team (BOS) was NOT that...meant league kingpins, including Burkie, (a NHL VP & League Sherrif for a time) needed to fight harder to maintain the NHL's traditional pro-fighting identity... to fill traditional rinks in those markets that needed that niche to compete amongst family-friendlier sports offerings from the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS & NASL teams. That battle rages on today - with the balance of power now resting with the traditionalists. And the progressive owners ,who threaten the league's kingpins...are continually maligned, gang-up on, colluded against & punished with such things as the recent un-grand-fathered make whole amendments in the CBA.

Evidences of Burkie's vindictiveness are TOO many to re-count. I find him bombastic, crude & spiteful. He has attempted to have persons fired ...& sues folks to silence them. Read the related threads & some of my older posts. Unless you just fell off of a turnip truck...most Canucks' fans have witnessed the many ways Burkie & the league have punished & screwed over VAN...especially since Auger-gate. And - that incident was subsequently used by the league for propaganda purposes, especially by their partnered networks, spokespersons & commentators - to galvanize efforts around the league to discredit Gillis & his team....even more. In some instances... this back-fired. I suspect Gillis now has several GMs & owners on-board with the progressives' causes....to pursue political change in the way the league is run.

Wish him luck with that. It's our only hope....for fair reforms of league operations & the NHL's appointment, deployment & training of all league officials....in the future. This especially includes the search for a new NHL Commissioner....who will eventuall replace Bettman.

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to start the same thread after hearing about Burke spewing about the Canucks. He knows how to get the spot light on him and off his dismal team. He's good at it, see how he managed to do it almost daily while in Toronto.

Burke just is a spotlight junkie, here I am :towel:

So regardless of the Burkie hire, :picard: , I wonder how smart is Calgary's collective ownership?

Knowing that Burke is a bully, who will try and bully any one around him I think it's only a matter of time before something blows up in his face like it has every where he's been.

...blaming the Canucks for starting the circus on Saturday night is really no big deal. It's just garbage coming out of his mouth. I saw Hartley trying to keep his job on Saturday night, something I doubt he'll be able to keep with Burke in charge.

Smart enough to hire someone who's done enough greasy things for the league king-pins...that they OWE him, still. And this is even after appointing his son to a cushy post on the DPS....& letting McGrattan dodge a suspension after hitting-the-head of Alberts, who's concussion appears to be rather severe from all reports.

Wasn't the severity of injury supposed to matter on these sorts of hits? Hell - it apparently matters when the players aren't EVEN hurt - when its a 'Nuck accused...as in the Edler or Weise suspensions. Clearly, standards are continually waffling based upon the team the accused player plays for. This is our NHL appointed DPS at work! They need to be elected.... & held to terms of service. Burkie knows that this would be fair...but NOT good for the kingpins - who would rather make-up the rules as they go along & exert influence over their appointees...with Bettman propping-up their voting block. Bullying challengers NOT within the block....is very effective when their own block-brother-owners are made fearful of breaking ranks. I mean, who would dare risk receiving such mis-treatments as those outside the Chairman's block?

Its certainly a challenge for Gillis....he eithe has to BEAT 'em....or JOIN 'em! I think he has a more than a couple of the 0-6 owners on board already - thanks to their younger & more progrssive GMs....but kingpin greed is increasing since they announced those legal challenges by ex-players. Everyone of them will want to cash-in BIG before the league is required to pay-out....or before the lawyers start discovering exactly which kingpins are responsible for the "dirtiest" deeds. 'Cuz lawsuits un-cover things.

The crap is about to hit the fan...people. Wait for it. Then Burkie, Jacobs, Campbell, Murphy & Bettman....will be out-of-favor...& perhaps out of power. Oh, do I ever wanna see THAT!

It guess it began when Burke was bested by Gillis (Bure's new agent) in Bure's battle to leave VAN & get the money he was owed by team. Board-room battles for ownership of the Canucks franchise became a battle between the Aquilinis's & the Gaglardi group (who now own the DAL Stars). Burkie & his best bud & then VAN GM Dave Nonis,,,, supported the Gaglardi group - who LOST. Later - there were the NHL's tampering charges made by Gillis...when Burkie tried to steal the Sedins from the Canucks for TO. I feel the change to LT contracts & the new make-whole provision conbined with the low cao in the shortened season...was devised to to hurt VAN's trading options forcing VAN to relinquish one of their star goalies to TO ..or one of their voting-block teams...for nothing. Gillis dodged that bullet ...sort of.

Thanks for that entertaining post. I love a good conspiracy theory. The bolded was my favorite part. Yes I am sure we can all take you oh so seriously when you accuse the NHL of going through a lockout and those endless CBA negotiations and the purpose was all to punish Vancouver. Oh boy...

Thanks for that entertaining post. I love a good conspiracy theory. The bolded was my favorite part. Yes I am sure we can all take you oh so seriously when you accuse the NHL of going through a lockout and those endless CBA negotiations and the purpose was all to punish Vancouver. Oh boy...

LOL. Burke was the lawyering-scribe & task-master for all of that un-grandfathered make whole nonsense....& the league was swatting the richer teams who were attempting to compete with the 0-6's for the best free agents. Vancouver was just 1 of the teams...who used NO-trade clauses & LT front-loaded contracts to keep their top free-agents from flyin' away. The league not only HAD to close that loop-hole ...to protect their interests...but they NEEDED to show teams & players that the Chairman's block could definitely punish whomever they chose to punish...as well. NOT grandfathering...was re-setting rules once the game had already commenced.... & this definitely disadvantaged others to the benefit of some...who already knew exactly WHAT would in this new document. It was a conflict of interest - having Burkie as a competing GM do this work...as it was inviting him to explore his vindictiveness....'cuz that's who he IS...& that's what he DOES. And - this plum assignment was HIS. This fact has been very well-documented...& attributed.

The lock-out lasting until just after Christmas actually helped-out southern US markets who hate attempting to fill their buildings during baseball or football seasons. And - they only had to spend to a very low-cap floor the following year. The income challenged teams even managed to lose LESS ...than if they had played an entire NHL season. Then, after the worst-officiated season on record....2 key kingpins make the Final...to re-coup early season profit-losses & pocket the BIG money.Quelle surprise!

Conflict of interest...was all over those smarmy documents & decisions. Players were just eager to get back...not realizing all the possible consequences that this new CBA would have for some of the more progressive teams....OR maybe they did. O-6 players can always be assured that the league will take care of their O-6 teams' interests. That's always the O-6's best leverage. They use this leverage to reel in the older free-agents & even set some of 'em up with post career appointments with the league. Read the resume's of every member appointed to the DPS. Conspiracy theories - maybe not......more like conspiracy facts!

I've never seen someone's head so firmly lodged up their own ass than Viking mama's is right now.

Way to poke the bear. N

Wow! You can find your answers in so many threads upon these boards. Check out many of my previous posts..if you want to read a rant or 2 about Burkie's pathway to league power-monger & voting-block chum of Jeremy Jacobs (BOS owner) the perennial league BOG Chairman. Their efforts to screw-over progressive teams like the 'Nucks & to prop-up their voting-block allies by seeding positions like the Directorship of the NHLOA or the newly formed DPS with 0-6 favoring appointees who will discriminate against non-block-allied teams....is NO secret.

It guess it began when Burke was bested by Gillis (Bure's new agent) in Bure's battle to leave VAN & get the money he was owed by team. Board-room battles for ownership of the Canucks franchise became a battle between the Aquilinis's & the Gaglardi group (who now own the DAL Stars). Burkie & his best bud & then VAN GM Dave Nonis,,,, supported the Gaglardi group - who LOST. Later - there were the NHL's tampering charges made by Gillis...when Burkie tried to steal the Sedins from the Canucks for TOR. I believe that the changes to LT contracts & the new CBA's make-whole provision conbined with a very low imposed cap after the shortened season...was devise to hurt VAN's trading options forcing VAN to relinquish 1 of their star goalies to TOR or one of the other voting-block teams...for nothing. Gillis dodged that bullet ...sort of.

The fact that the 2-time President's trophy winning Canucks were becoming a progressive pro-skill team anti-violence team....& that the League Chairman's team (BOS) was NOT...meant league kingpins, including Burkie, (a NHL VP & League Sherrif for a time) needed to fight to maintain the NHL's traditional pro-fighting identity... to fill the traditional rinks in the markets that needed this niche to compete among more family-friendly sports offerings like NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS & NASL teams. This battle rages on today - with the balance of power resting with the traditionalists. Progressive owners who threatened the league's kingpins...are continually maligned, gang-up on, colluded against & punished by such things as the recent un-grandfathered make whole amendments to the CBA.

Evidences of Burkie's vindictiveness are just TOO many to re-count. I find him bombastic, crude & spiteful. He has attempted to have persons fired ...& sues folks to silence them....over anything. Read the related threads & some of my older posts. But unless you just fell off of a turnip truck...most Canucks' fans have seen the many ways Burkie & the league has punished & screwed over VAN...especially since Auger-gate. And - that incident was subsequently used for by the league for propaganda purposes, especially by partnered networks, spokespersons & commentators - to galvanize efforts around the league to discredit Gillis & his team. In some instances... this has back-fired. I suspect Gillis has several GMs & some owners on-board with the progressives' causes.... & for the pursuit of political change in the way the league is run.

Wish him luck with that. It's our only hope....for fair reforms of league operations & their appointment, deployment & training of all league officials....in the future. This especially includes the search for a new NHL Commissioner....to replace Bettman.

Are you sure you're not a lawyer because that's a lot of conjecture?

Just waitin' my turn to be hunted down & sued for defamation. It''s Burke's way!

Dude did ask.... why Burkie didn't like Vancouver? It begged an answer. I could have stopped after the 1st sentence, I suppose. LOL. But -it's difficult - when one sees so much on the table confirming just how MUCH he really doesn't like GIllis.. ...or the Aquilini's.....& by extension, the Canucks. This city? Who knows by now? But - after many years of observing his numerous efforts to torpedo our team.....& having Burke become the paid "consultant" to more than just a few of our Western conference rivals....& seeing them all "benefit" in eye-brow-raising ways - I guess I just grew sick & tired of pretending....that he's NOT in some never-ending pissin' contest with Gillis.

Gillis may just be pissin' in the wind....& its only Burke who can't tolerate seeing MG succeed. But - I'm waitin' & half-hopin' for some kind of contrition or an apology for....any of it.... any signal that hostilities have ceased. But - that's not likely....from the most un-repentant member of the Chairman's voting block. Burke keeps getting fired for the same character flaws everywhere he hangs his hat.

Arrogance, in-subordination & an all-consuming vindictive nature.....will be his down-fall yet - again. Watch for it.

Archived