The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] "Down with the Sickness"

Silfverberg Snipes

But you're also neither trolling, nor jumping off of a bandwagon, so your pain doesn't qualify as part of "some of the fanbase" whose is ironic and/or entertaining/'enjoyable'.

Still hurts. It would be easier to jump but I'm just not built that way. Just have to deal with the pain. Venting here helps.

It's not clear what the problem is with the team right now but if we take a look at the team over the last 2 years, the team has definitely been on the downward trend and not solely because of the bottom 6. I do think fatigue is an issue right now - and it is only making the underlying problems of a lack of playmaking ability from before worse.

When I see the Canucks now, it reminds me of what they were like before 2009/2010. It never seemed like the team could string more than one or two passes together. At the time, they were also a terrible face-off team. They hit their peak in 2010/2011 obviously and I do believe that it could have been sustained had Manny Malhotra not suffered his eye injury. The Canucks were almost a perfectly balanced team, especially after they acquired Higgins and Lapierre.

Since then, the Canucks have started to go back to being a team that just doesn't seem to be able to create offensively. Their emphasis on controlled o-zone entries is great if you aren't reliant on skating the puck in all the time. At their best this season, they have been heavy on the puck during puck retrieval on dump-ins but that takes a lot of energy, especially when only rolling 3 lines. You cover a lot more ground in a much faster time with good passes which it no longer seems our team is that capable of. I think this is one reason why Schroeder has looked good in his return - he's one of the few forwards that seems to be able to dish and receive passes at speed.

How do they fix this in the short term? I don't know. I think some rest (especially for the top 6 - but wait, they're going to Sochi) will go a long way to helping this team. A big part of me feels like the coaching staff just needs to play the 4th line until they work out the kinks. If they cost you a few goals, chew them out, hopefully they learn, and hopefully your top 6 will have the extra energy to get a goal back.

The bigger issue is the long term - can they rebuild this team while also trying to remain a playoff team? It's possible but seems unlikely. Even teams like Anaheim missed the playoffs every now and then but when combined with strong drafting and a few reliable stalwarts on the team (Getzlaf/Perry and Koivu; they have also been lucky that Selanne has continued to play well), they have remained competitive.

If you think those players will save this franchise, I don't know what to say.

I guess we can wait another 10 years to see if I'm right?

you never know. zetterberg and lundquist were picked in the seventh round. brian elliot was picked second last in the whole draft. point is, you never know where draft picks are gonna end up. don't lose hope

Here maybe this will cheer a few up.

2011 – 35 - 11 – 9

2012 – 34 – 15 – 6

2013 – Didn't reach 55 games

2014 – 27 – 19 – 9

Yes this season isn't completely up to par, but keep in mind we've been in a slump, our top players aren't scoring right now, two of our top 6 are gone, and this team is adjusting to a new coaching staff.

People may see otherwise but I see positives out of this.

That's good to hear, I'd hate to see fans jumping off the bandwagon after one ugly month. I don't believe we have it in us to contend but I'll die before I throw my jersey anywhere but back in my closet.

I just wiped my a$$ with my Kesler jersey.

2011 – 35 - 11 – 9

2012 – 34 – 15 – 6

2014 – 27 – 19 – 9

Yes this season isn't completely up to par, but keep in mind we've been in a slump, our top players aren't scoring right now, two of our top 6 are gone, and this team is adjusting to a new coaching staff.

So do I ... it's not over. We've got a huge uphill climb right now but things change for all teams.

The Olympic break may be what we need. It may be what Daniel needs. It could shake up momentum with a lot of teams.

2011 – 35 - 11 – 9

2012 – 34 – 15 – 6

2014 – 27 – 19 – 9

People like you can be really annoying to people who are trying to wallow in misery.

Something just seems different this year watching these guys. They just done t look like they believe or have the energy Maybe they will magically turn it around but it doesn't look promising

with exception of Kesler it feels like the Olympians are just waiting for the Olympics to start, hopefully play a 90% game to avoid injuries, and the rest is just hoping for the Olympic vacation, (which most of the Canucks will be doing, going on a vacation) their not as focused right now, losing Tanev and Henrik are huge blows to this team, that said they've been struggling already even with them in the line up, Isn't January suppose to be our strong month? Oh man, I Just want the Olympics to start today.

Archived