The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] "Down with the Sickness"

Silfverberg Snipes

Hi gang,

Back from the game. Minus the actual hockey game, it was a fantastic experience. Always is!

The people on both sides of me were really nice. Good people who were up for a CDC-like discussion about the Canucks. Everyone had a good sense of humour so we got each other through a tough game.

Got to meet Dave Babych before the game. Really nice guy. Very conversational!

Ran into Joey Kenward but I didn't say hi this time. (I think I've told the story enough times on here so I won't bore you all by telling it again :) )

Great pre-game ceremony for the Olympics. The banner commemorating the Vancouver 2010 double gold by the men's and women's teams was a great touch. Those were 2 magical moments at Rogers Arena and they should be immortalized.

Tessa Bonhomme in attendance was fantastic. They had a nice 1st intermission interview with her too which was great.

Ok the game:

I have never been to a Canucks game in 25 years in which I've been bored. How can you be bored watching elite players play the greatest game on earth? Well apparently you can.

The Canucks have no chemistry. There wasn't one beautiful passing play today.

No one wants to get in on the forecheck

No one wants to skate

Speed is this team's downfall. We don't have it. We don't skate fast and we don't make plays fast.

Everything takes one extra second with us and that extra second is the difference between a goal and a negated scoring opportunity.

Even at 2-0 it didn't feel like we were in control of the game. SOG wew 13-3 Chicago. Clearly we weren't in control

It's a real shame. Fans pay good money to be in those seats. It's ok to lose games, but at least showcase the sport at the highest level. Show us what this beautiful game looks like when it is played by the best players in the world. My rec league team has more artistry and talent than this bunch of Canucks.

The fans freaking love you, you play in luxury digs, and get paid millions. Show up and try for heck's sake.

2usvja9.jpg

shots were 13-8 after the first period the Canucks lost this game in the 2nd period completely fell apart shots were 17-13 in the 2nd then 11-10 in favour of the Canucks they started the 3rd 9-1 or something so they were trying

there were several passing plays by Kesler Kassian Schroeder so not sure if you actually saw them or watched the game

anyways no head coach injury to 1st line center a very good 3rd line center and a very good young shot blocking defenseman call these excuses all you want but i would love to see a team go through what the Canucks have been through this last month here hopefully they can move on and forget about it the real games for the playoff spots will be starting in Feb

Kassian had a good game, Kesler had flashes, Luongo was pretty decent.

That's about all the positives I see.

Yep.Kassian has been the best Canuck for a while now.

And you can't really blame Luongo when the Defense can't clear the puck.(not saying that you were blaming him :) )

Yep.Kassian has been the best Canuck for a while now.

And you can't really blame Luongo when the Defense can't clear the puck.(not saying that you were blaming him :) )

not going to blame him completely but he has been average at best the last 3 games Lack should of been in for at least 1 of them

I don't think the Sedins are past their prime. Keep in mind they've been away from burrows for majority of the season too. Why don't we wait until they are all healthy. :)

Oh ya i can totally see them scoring 80+ points still.

Please get over it, they are definitely past their prime and Burrows aren't going to make them better.

Sedins are elite players, aren't they suppose to make other players better then? Then why do they need Burrows? Don't give me dumb excuses like they complement each other, etc LOL

not going to blame him completely but he has been average at best the last 3 games Lack should of been in for at least 1 of them

Yeah. Hasn't been the best, but i don't think he didn't lose anything for the Canucks either. Bad Defense=Bad Goaltending. plus Canucks need to score more than 2 goals per game if they want to win.

which puts the shot attempts at 61 Canucks 56 Hawks.

moral victory!!!

but on a more serious note - not really a bad possession result considering.

the Hawks enjoyed the puck luck.

:bigblush:

Yay!

lol but yeah Canucks always do manage a good number of shots but they jsut can't score!

this team has

1. quit

2. is clearly lacking chemistry, confidence and leadership

3. which means you need to make a change to the core

4. seems to be waiting for a trade

how and why that fat pig gillis cant see it is beyond me, ignore the age, igore the fact we are slow, THE CHEMISTRY is wrong, the mix is WRONG and that is on MG

we have no transitional game, no dmen with real mobility and good passing skills other than Tanev and Hammer if he's on. Stanton is a stud but a stay at home.

we lack speed up front, daniel and henrik are slow, burr seems to have lost a step, maybe its just the late start for him, higgins is not quick, booth's first 4 steps are quicksand then he gets moving, only kassian and schroeds look to be explosive skaters. kesler even looks slower

we have no creativity outside of henrik, and shroeds and kass are just too young to carry the load offensively

we have 6 defensman who play the EXACT SAME GAME..two way, how is that a 'mix'

our top 6 is a top 3 that plays like a bottom 3

our best player for 2 months has been a 22 yr old kid who's been busting his ass to improve and has and yet doesnt get first pp time nor first line time

last game the line of booth, schroeder kassian had alot of chemistry, we can't score, so we split them up

daniel, burr and kesler should be sitting in the press box, let them learn.

Oh ya i can totally see them scoring 80+ points still.

Please get over it, they are definitely past their prime and Burrows aren't going to make them better.

Sedins are elite players, aren't they suppose to make other players better then? Then why do they need Burrows? Don't give me dumb excuses like they complement each other, etc LOL

lol who knows! but seriously I kinda get you but I'm having a hard time believing that they just stop. Well, I guess only time will tell. :)

this team has

1. quit

2. is clearly lacking chemistry, confidence and leadership

3. which means you need to make a change to the core

4. seems to be waiting for a trade

how and why that fat pig gillis cant see it is beyond me, ignore the age, igore the fact we are slow, THE CHEMISTRY is wrong, the mix is WRONG and that is on MG

we have no transitional game, no dmen with real mobility and good passing skills other than Tanev and Hammer if he's on. Stanton is a stud but a stay at home.

we lack speed up front, daniel and henrik are slow, burr seems to have lost a step, maybe its just the late start for him, higgins is not quick, booth's first 4 steps are quicksand then he gets moving, only kassian and schroeds look to be explosive skaters. kesler even looks slower

we have no creativity outside of henrik, and shroeds and kass are just too young to carry the load offensively

we have 6 defensman who play the EXACT SAME GAME..two way, how is that a 'mix'

our top 6 is a top 3 that plays like a bottom 3

our best player for 2 months has been a 22 yr old kid who's been busting his ass to improve and has and yet doesnt get first pp time nor first line time

last game the line of booth, schroeder kassian had alot of chemistry, we can't score, so we split them up

daniel, burr and kesler should be sitting in the press box, let them learn.

lol i'm lovin all the gillis disses

I got home late tonight and just finished watching another debacle.

I don't know what to say anymore about this group.

Kesler, love the guy because while he didn't score, did everything else out there. The guy is the only one in the top 6 contributing in so many other ways to this team by blocking shots, PK'ing, PP'ing, and actually hitting people out there.

Danny was invisible as usual and unlike Kes, he does nothing else to impact the game.

Second line wasn't bad.

Third and fourth lines should have played way more.

Looking forward to hearing MG spew his typical BS in his next interview about waiting for Santos, Hank, Alberts and Tanev to get healthy before he makes any decisions with this team.

Same core, same crap, different day.

Thank you Mike Gillis.

You wouldn't happen to have been or sat near the lady with the "Free Torts" sign did you?

No but I saw her holding it up. Was surprised she got it through security!

U think Tortorella can come in and get these guys going again?

Sadly no :(

The players are the problem. They just show no jump whatsoever. No desire. It's not like the effort was there and the results weren't. The was no effort at all. We had maybe 5 good shots on net. Everything else was from the perimeter. Crawford was just chillin back there. He wasn't even going to the bench at TV timeouts. There isn't even an effort to generate opportunities. The wind is firmly out of the sails of this team. Too many players with haunting memories of Boston and Game 7 imo. A bunch of fresh faces with no baggage might do this team some good.

I think the glaring problem for the Canucks is their inability to roll four lines..basically,no depth..The top players are burnt out..The road trip and Olympic break couldn't come soon enough..I haven't seen the Canuck defencemen play this bad in years...

I don't get why Sully and Torts don't play the fourth line more. Chicago plays a 4 line system and that's how they keep their top lines fresh for the game and for the season. I think Torts is wrong-headed about this. His theory is "win now" ie. the next game, and of course it stands to reason that he'd give his top lines, the most talent, the most work. But he takes that theory too far.

Credit to xWCMx in the GDT who described Kesler as being a dog, that he'd play till he dropped if you let him. ha, so true. But the wear and tear is starting to show. Daniels increased minutes that now include the PK is catching up to him and his brother as well. Torts is playing the short game when he should be, like Quenneville, playing the long game. Especially when Sestito has been on a roll. He deserves the chance. Not only that but Tom should not be shunted away after he was a big part in the California rebirth (of Canuck toughness). I thought he became an important lightning rod. Kassian really feeds off that kind of spirit. So much for building off of that.

Quenneville knows that players get better and more confident the more you play them (not talking overplay). Even 4th liners. Hey, when the playoffs start you may have to put them at the end of the bench again, but meanwhile your star players are going to be rested and fresh, and at the same time the 3rd and 4th lines will know they can step in and contribute because of all the playing experience during the year.

We should have drafted saad instead of Jensen.. I had a feeling about him at the time and he seems to be turning into a Hossa. but then again we seem to do more harm to our prospects than good

Good one.

The Hawks thought so highly of Saad that they drafted 2 other guys who haven't played a single game ahead of him.

Some stupid fukktard threw their jersey on the ice. I know things don't look good, but cmon, support your team till the end. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?!?!?!?! NO!

My friend was at the game sitting behind the jersey thrower. He said it was a Chicago fan that ripped the jersey off someone before getting booted from the arena.

Archived