The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To Any Canuck Fan Questioning if they Want This Team to Make the Playoffs: Look at the Last 2 Decades of NHL Hockey

Herberts Vasiljevs

It's all in the timing. Did you consider the L.A. Kings when they won their Cup? They acquired Carter for added scoring punch and Mike Richards came over prior to solidify their 2nd line role. With those two, they got game-breakers to have enough scoring, center and defensive depth that got it done for them. That's the kind of moves I want M.G. to make, for young guys who may be having down seasons but who fill roles on our team, who are tough to play against and who aren't rentals.

I don't think they should discount making moves, just make them after the future's been considered.

LA was considered at contender at the start of that year, they just had a bad season. We are not a contender its plain to see in our lack of size, lack of speed, lack of hands and heartless play.

if you people want to believe that's great, but having blinders on and thinking this team is anything close to a contender is, well foolish.

I will never lose my mind and "feel kicked in the teeth" if we lose which I know will continue to happen for the rest of this team's existence. It happens to 29 teams every year.

I bring up the '06 Oilers again because once you make it you can be an 8th place team against a record breaking regular season team, and having Pisani (who?) play hero for 4 rounds of playoff hockey and make history.

Again, the odds are against us no doubt. But we are competing for a spot and if we make it who knows.

Be a Wings fan in '03 one year after winning the cup. Would you ever be able to conceive for a second that the Mighty Ducks would sweep them? Absolutely not.

If we place 8th and play Anaheim in the first round, heck, we can sweep them. Certain circumstances allowed Anaheim to do so in '03, of course, nobody expected it, but same with here. Hindsight is 20/20 here. You would never have said that the Mighty Ducks would have swept the Wings. Never. Similar situation with how you feel about this team. If we swept Anaheim in the first round this playoffs, in the end you would be able to assess how we did it. At this point, it almost worthless. Because ANYTHING in the playoffs can happen. No matter what the odds are.

I agree overall and I will probably enjoy watching our team in the playoffs this spring if we happen to make it. It's always fun and a magical feeling, but right now though we look horrible on paper. We look like contender turned pretender, not the other way around. Most of those teams come from under the radar, not us, we just look like a trainwreck.

No kidding

I'm getting sick of these "trade everyone, rebuild, retool" threads, does no one believe in this squad anymore just because of injuries resulting in a one month slump?

It's pathetic.

^^^^^ Agreed. Fine research and thesis by the OP. As I have said numerous times, all you need in the NHL Playoffs is great goaltending, to limit key injuries for key personnel and luck. only trade away a draft pick if it's for a player that will be around after this season. Nice job OP.

I'm just gonna go out and say it. I hate 70% of this club. If they win the Cup the only players I'll be happy for are the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Lu.

How on earth do you cheer for a team and hate 70 percent of the players?

That's pretty weak if you ask me. At the end of the day this is our team and the players are professionals who want to win.

I truly love most of the players. Some more than others. I get angry with them at times but at the end of the day I don't hate any.

Nice to hear some optimism amongst all the negativity.

If we can retool and still get into the dance we are a lucky fan base.

It's like the draft. Yeah being top 5 is ideal but every once in a while you nab Weber or Zetterburg in the later rounds.

great post, if i could give you more than (1+) i would.

One thing to add it all those teams (Phoenix, Minnestoa, Nashville, Dallas, Winnipeg, LA) competing for those final playoffs spots are desperate to sneak in. If they felt the same way as a lot of the fans on this board do (that there's no chance to beat the top 4 teams) than technically they should all be purposely losing in attempt to get a higher draft pick. Why do they are want to make it?.... Because anything can happen in the playoffs

great post, if i could give you more than (1+) i would.

One thing to add it all those teams (Phoenix, Minnestoa, Nashville, Dallas, Winnipeg, LA) competing for those final playoffs spots are desperate to sneak in. If they felt the same way as a lot of the fans on this board do (that there's no chance to beat the top 4 teams) than technically they should all be purposely losing in attempt to get a higher draft pick. Why do they are want to make it?.... Because anything can happen in the playoffs

with the exception of nashville all the other teams actually have a higher chance then us to win especially Winnipeg, Minny and LA.

but i agree with you.

These are the kinda of things holding us back. Not realizing the real current future and accepting and moving forward. I would rather re-build this team now for the next 2-3 years and be competitive for the next 5+ years after.

All the top teams now were once bottom teams and built their teams. The Hawks who have already won 2 cups, are a threat to win it for the next 5+ years.

I'm just gonna go out and say it. I hate 70% of this club. If they win the Cup the only players I'll be happy for are the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Lu.

How can you hate Higgins, Hansen Richardson, Kassian Edler Hamhuis Bieksa Tanev Stanton and some others? You hate Lack?

Why do you hate these guys? You must be a ducks fan. :bigblush:

I have always maintained that the best way to win a cup is to make the playoffs as many times as possible and hope good things happen. Hockey, more than baseball, basketball or football, often comes down to luck because of the small sample size of scoring in any given game. So while I think the Canucks chances of winning the cup are the smallest they have been over the last 5 years, there is still a chance (approximately 3% according to my calculations, down from 11% in 2011) that they win. That's why they should not just give up, miss the playoffs and "rebuild". Rebuild on the fly instead - like Detroit and Anaheim have done.

The 'rebuild on the fly' started back when Hodgson was traded for Kassian, continued with Schneider for Horvat, and was proven with the hiring of Tortorella. Keep most of the core, a couple more trades to bring in quality prospects while remaining competitive, let Torts train the young guys .... keep it going. It actually is, yes, a process.

The irony is losing for a month is what's fueling people to call for a rebuild. By the time a rebuild yields a result those same people's heads will have long exploded.

The Hawks sucked for much longer than 2-3 years.

Archived