The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2014-02-08t194009z_365708635_lr2ea281imngh_rtrmadp_3_olympics-freestyle.jpg?itok=Vr1T4okF

I love that she struck a victory pose when they announced she had won. I ALMOST felt bad for the American Hannah Kearney because she had to stand there and pretend to be happy about her bronze with two Canadians going ballistic next to her...but hey, Jenn Heil had to go through the same thing 4 years ago.

Other then hockey every other sport in the Olympics is pretty much boring as hell. I can bet half of you can't name atleast 3 athletes from each sport in the Olympics. Half the people here don't know anything about the "Olympians" that actually win gold or whatever but we congratulate them like we've known them for decades and finally get to see them succeed lol.

Other then hockey every other sport in the Olympics is pretty much boring as hell. I can bet half of you can't name atleast 3 athelets from each sport in the Olympics. Half the people here don't know anything about the "Olympians" that actually win gold or whatever but we congratulate them like we've known them for decades and finally get to see them succeed lol.

think you are just telling us your ignorance outside of hockey. keep that to yourself.

granted this is a hockey forum, and perhaps it's true many don't. but after 2010 in Vancouver, many of the athletes became household names.

As for boring or not, that's totally subjective. Ladies hockey is boring to me. There are only 2 teams contending. I rather watch ladies moguls, figure skating, mens' slopestyle etc.

think you are just telling us your ignorance outside of hockey. keep that to yourself.

granted this is a hockey forum, and perhaps it's true many don't. but after 2010 in Vancouver, many of the athletes became household names.

As for boring or not, that's totally subjective. Ladies hockey is boring to me. There are only 2 teams contending. I rather watch ladies moguls, figure skating, mens' slopestyle etc.

This is how new fans are created too. I didn't give two poops about hockey before I watched the women play in 2002, then I was hooked on the sport and started watching the NHL. I don't see anything wrong with cheering for Canada's athletes, whether you are a new fan or have been following the sport for decades. I'm sure the majority of athletes would feel the same way. The Olympics are a great way to expose their sport to new fans.

Other then hockey every other sport in the Olympics is pretty much boring as hell. I can bet half of you can't name atleast 3 athletes from each sport in the Olympics. Half the people here don't know anything about the "Olympians" that actually win gold or whatever but we congratulate them like we've known them for decades and finally get to see them succeed lol.

We don't have to "know" them to celebrate their victories. To cheer them on and feel their accomplishments and their failures. We can identify with them as human beings...when Joannie Rochette lost her Mother mine had also recently passed. I cried tears with/for her. I admired her strength and poise in carrying on.;

I learn about the athletes during the Olympics...love that they profile them in order for us to do so.

Your opinion of boring is pretty short sighted because there's some really great stuff happening. Sure, not all of it is for everyone, but that's a blanket statement that lets me think you don't bother...give it a shot, I'll bet you'll sign on like the rest of us.

I also can't name 3 cooks at the Keg but that doesn't stop me from going there.

We don't have to "know" them to celebrate their victories. To cheer them on and feel their accomplishments and their failures. We can identify with them as human beings...when Joannie Rochette lost her Mother mine had also recently passed. I cried tears with/for her. I admired her strength and poise in carrying on.;

I learn about the athletes during the Olympics...love that they profile them in order for us to do so.

Your opinion of boring is pretty short sighted because there's some really great stuff happening. Sure, not all of it is for everyone, but that's a blanket statement that lets me think you don't bother...give it a shot, I'll bet you'll sign on like the rest of us.

I also can't name 3 cooks at the Keg but that doesn't stop me from going there.

Because everyone knew the name of the dude that won the Skeleton event in van in 2010 right? Or Biledeau who won gold on the first day?

Some people can't be happy I swear ;)

I actually watched the skating event with my daughters early morning. they LOVED it. I don't know any of them, didn't stop me from cheering.

Canada is competing. Celebrate your countrymen

I'd bet that very few people from any country can name three people from every event in the Olympics.

When there are four years between the competitions that get national coverage, it's a virtual certainty that many of the athletes are going to be relative unknowns. Olympic success is how these people become household names.

Four years ago, most of us didn't know who Marie Philip Poulin was, (except Hockeyville of course) but two goals in the Finals made her the biggest star on team Canada, outshining players like Wick, Hefford and Oulette.

...and how could anyone call those snowboard events "boring"? :huh:

Because everyone knew the name of the dude that won the Skeleton event in van in 2010 right? Or Biledeau who won gold on the first day?

Some people can't be happy I swear ;)

I actually watched the skating event with my daughters early morning. they LOVED it. I don't know any of them, didn't stop me from cheering.

Canada is competing. Celebrate your countrymen

Biledeau didn't win on the first day

Moguls was day 1 in Van wasn't it?

ladies mogul is on day1, just like this yr. Jenn Heil was expected to the be the first gold, but she won silver.

Alex BILODEAU won the first gold on home soil. He is number 1 still and is the favorite to win tomorrow.

recall how the country's media was quite negative after 2 days, since there were so few medals and no gold by that time. After Alex won gold, it changed everything. the gold racked up to an all time record by the last day, with men hockey gold.

ladies mogul is on day1, just like this yr. Jenn Heil was expected to the be the first gold, but she won silver.

Alex BILODEAU won the first gold on home soil. He is number 1 still and is the favorite to win tomorrow.

recall how the country's media was quite negative after 2 days, since there were so few medals and no gold by that time. After Alex won gold, it changed everything. the gold racked up to an all time record by the last day, with men hockey gold.

I thought it was ceremonies, day 1 events mens moguls and he won.

My mistake.

Regardless, premise is the same. Nobody knows who these guys and gals are. But it is even more fun that way to celebrate their achievements because they could be your neighbor and not some highly paid athlete.

I've 3 locals in this years olympics and we here in the valley couldn't be prouder win or lose

I thought it was ceremonies, day 1 events mens moguls and he won.

My mistake.

Regardless, premise is the same. Nobody knows who these guys and gals are. But it is even more fun that way to celebrate their achievements because they could be your neighbor and not some highly paid athlete.

I've 3 locals in this years olympics and we here in the valley couldn't be prouder win or lose

Yeah, great story on Kevin Reynolds from Coquitlum, who trains at 8 rinks in Burnaby. He landed 3 quads in one skate today.

Spencer OBrien is from Vancouver. Too bad she didnt medal.

Russia medalist got too excited and unzipped too much :) They should have gave her the silver instead of bronze.

When Graf's time flashed on the scoreboard — 4 minutes, 3.47 seconds was a personal best — the crowd at Adler Arena erupted in cheers. She whooped it up on her warm-down lap, then unzipped her skin-tight suit right down to the belly button.

She was wearing nothing underneath.

"I totally forgot," Graf said sheepishly through a translator. "We have very good suits and they are very tight. ... You just want to breathe and you want to take off your suit."

When she realized her faux pas, Graf quickly zipped the suit back up with a mortified smile.

"Only afterward," she said, "did I realize that maybe this video will appear on YouTube. But I don't think it will be so bad."

- See more at: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/olga-grafs-surprising-bronze-gives-russia-its-first-medal-games?ctx=att-olympic-news-desk#sthash.aT1HAOPi.dpuf

sochi_olympics_speeds_cree10.jpg

Archived