The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is anybody going to stay awake and watch Women's Hockey Canada vs Suisse?

I was planning on it but then decided to instead watch men's 5000m for the medals and call it a night after that.

I hate the huge time difference!

I'll watch it, but for me the time difference is not that bad ;)

OK this is just to weird to NOT post here

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/02/08/man-responsible-for-olympic-ring-mishap-found-dead-in-sochi/

Take it for what you will but the guy in charge of the snowflakes during the opening ceremonies "reportedly" found dead mangled etc....

I won't link all of the story just the link because I don't want to take up all the room.

OK this is just to weird to NOT post here

http://dailycurrant....-dead-in-sochi/

Take it for what you will but the guy in charge of the snowflakes during the opening ceremonies "reportedly" found dead mangled etc....

I won't link all of the story just the link because I don't want to take up all the room.

This is fake

Didn't make the final 6. Don't know for sure, but I think it was like 8th or something

If I got the name correctly, she is the oldest of the three, Maxime (24), inspired her sisters when they were young. Gold medalists Justine is 19, Silver to Chloe who is 22.

Congrats to the Dufor-Lapointe sisters and the whole family for such a massive accomplishment!

The tears have begun already folks. And I'm sleep deprived. Was watching women's hockey at 4:30 am. #WorthIt

Hey! Quick question, you seem to be the best person to ask for this, do you believe the women's hockey team will win gold? They haven't been so great against the Americans lately from what I have gathered.

Putting all bias aside, do you think they are strong enough?

Hey! Quick question, you seem to be the best person to ask for this, do you believe the women's hockey team will win gold? They haven't been so great against the Americans lately from what I have gathered.

Putting all bias aside, do you think they are strong enough?

Real good question.

All bias aside, I say Canada gets silver. The US has taken their training to a whole new level. When you look at the cuts they made to their roster, they clearly sent a message that they want new blood taking over the team. They replaced Julie Chu as captain with Meghan Duggan who is much younger. We replaced Wick with Caroline Ouellette but Caro is only a year younger than Wick.

In the end, the US might be victims of inexperience. But if all their rookie Olympians can play through the pressure, I think they'll have us beat. We haven't been able to keep up with their speed and strength.

But, that being said, Canada does have a tendency to come into the Olympics on a losing streak. They look like underdogs but then they step up when it matters most. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.

It would probably be a good thing for the sport for someone other than us to win gold. But, knowing a lot of the Canadian players on a semi-personal level as I now do, I want them to win this one so that players like Wick, Caro, Hefford, etc can retire with a bang. After all they've done for the sport, they deserve it. But, win or lose, it won't change their legacy so I guess whatever is best for the sport is what should happen.

Real good question.

All bias aside, I say Canada gets silver. The US has taken their training to a whole new level. When you look at the cuts they made to their roster, they clearly sent a message that they want new blood taking over the team. They replaced Julie Chu as captain with Meghan Duggan who is much younger. We replaced Wick with Caroline Ouellette but Caro is only a year younger than Wick.

In the end, the US might be victims of inexperience. But if all their rookie Olympians can play through the pressure, I think they'll have us beat. We haven't been able to keep up with their speed and strength.

But, that being said, Canada does have a tendency to come into the Olympics on a losing streak. They look like underdogs but then they step up when it matters most. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.

It would probably be a good thing for the sport for someone other than us to win gold. But, knowing a lot of the Canadian players on a semi-personal level as I now do, I want them to win this one so that players like Wick, Caro, Hefford, etc can retire with a bang. After all they've done for the sport, they deserve it. But, win or lose, it won't change their legacy so I guess whatever is best for the sport is what should happen.

Thanks for the great answer!

I concur with Hockeyville. The Americans definitely look like the better squad right now. That being said, If they can get a dominating performance by Labonte or Szabadoz and a forward stepping up like MPP did in Vancouver, they could grab Gold again.

The advantage here is that Gold is still a two horse race, so it really just requires one big game from the team.

Archived