The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on Team 1040 February 6

oldnews

We suck right now because D.Sedin, Burrows ,Booth and Henrik have 27 goals combined. Yep folks that's basically 7 goals per top 6 forward. Our so called number one D man is -22.

But sure blame the GM ???

He should have known.

Why didn't he sign some help........oh yeah! no cap space. Hmmmnnn

Ok then lets blow it up..........oh jeez 10 NTC's.......Arrrrrggggghhhhh

What....What do you want Mom???. I'm busy....just get me some damn Meatloaf!!!

Where was I??? Oh yeahhh......

Gillis I hate you!! your a Scumbag.... Fire Gillis!!!

I want my Stanley Cup. I've worked too hard painfully watching this damn team dissapoint me year after year.....wwwaaaahhhh!!!

We suck right now because D.Sedin, Burrows ,Booth and Henrik have 27 goals combined. Yep folks that's basically 7 goals per top 6 forward. Our so called number one D man is -22.

But sure blame the GM ???

He should have known.

Why didn't he sign some help........oh yeah! no cap space. Hmmmnnn

Ok then lets blow it up..........oh jeez 10 NTC's.......Arrrrrggggghhhhh

What....What do you want Mom???. I'm busy....just get me some damn Meatloaf!!!

Where was I??? Oh yeahhh......

Gillis I hate you!! your a Scumbag.... Fire Gillis!!!

I want my Stanley Cup. I've worked too hard painfully watching this damn team dissapoint me year after year.....wwwaaaahhhh!!!

Who signed that dman to an extension with a NTC after we all knew he wasn't going to be the dman we thought he'd be, and still had a chance to trade him before that NTC kicked in and didn't.

Who signed that dman to an extension with a NTC after we all knew he wasn't going to be the dman we thought he'd be, and still had a chance to trade him before that NTC kicked in and didn't.

Hey I get it. It's frustrating I know!

Everyone wants to be the top dog all the time but unless Gillis owns a time machine it's inevitable that we were gonna slide as we aged.

It's easy to nit pick what Gillis has done but the fact that we have no one better than the struggling players we have ready to take over means we are gonna suffer for a while.

At the beginning of the season where did you see us? I thought a playoff bubble team.

The Kings have the same record as us the last 10 games should they fire Dean Lombardi and start the rebuild?

Edler was good enough to make the Swedish national team. He has been horrible but back surgery and a knee injury might slow a guy down a little. He'll come back after the Olympics refocused.

Have some faith man, they'll right the ship, pick up a couple new faces and if they don't...... well Sam Reinhart and Conner McDavid might look pretty good along side of Horvat and Shinkaruk and others.

one thing that has gotten me hearing gillis on the radio is that he keeps saying the team was slow to adapting the new style in the nhl. I for one don't see the blackhawks or the penguins really changing their style and they are still successful.

Gillis is stuck thinking the reason why we can't score is that the style of play is the reason why we can't score. This style of collapsing around the net was brought in by Carolina and has been around a long time. We used to be a team that had speed skill and puck possession. We played to agitate with arrogance and a real physical style. Now we don't have any of it.

Im also sad to see that Gillis follow instead of innovate. Where would the seahawks be if they followed the typical personnel that plays each position aka russell wilson.

I just hope Gillis can clear his head and figure out what a team needs to be in order to win the stanley cup and then go and build it, instead of thinking about how to follow and adapt to whatever successful styles are out there.

Gillis has gone back and forth and you can easily see the result in the current edition of the vancouver canucks

On Point. We need to start thinking from top down to correct this problem. Too many fans willing to give Gillis and Torts a pass. There will be no banners raise at Rogers Arena during the Torts era (which hopefully ends before the Olympics)

I did ..he won the GM of the year..voted by the other GMs'..he's obvoiously respected for what he does..your going on pure speculation/gossip/fantasy/hate..etc

That was for the brilliant job he did on the Goalie situation. What did we get for our "starter"? Good job.

I haven't drunk the Kool-aid but there's been a rash of bad luck, injuries and losing Torts has made a difference with this team. There is no doubt in my mind that Daniel has been injured for some time. I think he has a torn labrum similar to what Kesler had a couple of seasons ago. Certainly that shot he took on the breakaway in Boston cemented that for me.

In December, this team was 10-1-2 and the boards were praising everyone connected with this team...Let's see what happens with a two week layoff for most of the players and getting some of our key defensive personnel and Henrick back.

Henrik and Kesler are the only TOP 6 forwards Vancouver has. Not good enough.

Ridiculous. The Canucks have 5 top 6 forwards. Hank, Dank, Kesler, Higgins and Santorelli.

Top 6 is defined by guys like Hertl and Setgouchie.

The problem is the Canucks don't have a true number 1 or a true number 2. They have a 5, a 4, and 3 3s. And they have a large dropoff from Higgins.

Even when healthy they lacked a 6th forward. Now that they are missing Santorelli, and Hank, their 5 is down to three. They are short a full line, and that number 1 line would be Dank, Kesler and Higgins.

If he was the d-man many "imagined" he'd be, he'd be able to command $9m or more on the open market instead of $5m.

I'm just going on results or lack thereof, I don't need anything else. As mentioned previously by another poster, it's either rape Gillis for a gem like Hodgson or Schneider.....or start dialing Florida's phone number. The latter being Mike's got-to move. Watching Nonis toy with Gillis like a kitten and ball of yarn at last year's trade deadline was priceless.

Really Jack.....?...So you're not going to give me any sources/ proof that MG is disrespected around the league....?..bit of a backtrack.?!...You are going to give me stats now (you're switching the goalposts a bit here)...you don't need anything else...?...Now we are rehashing the Cody bit ( he didn't want to be here)....And same ole etc...Jack Fig..a bit more Jack A$$..

Gillis says he isn't going to panic and start trading all his players. Injuries...the cap...blah blah blah!

These players have been on a steady decline since their Stanley Cup final appearance. While it would have been crazy to blow up the team without giving them another chance, they have been in need of an overhaul for a very long time.

This isn't the first time this team, with these players, has done this. Implying that this current slump is an aberation and not part of an ongoing, and ingrained, pattern for this team is ignoring a lot of flashing, warning signs. Of course Gillis has to say what he said. He has no choice. There really is nothing he can do this season. The point is, the present problems were birthed long before this season.

Yes injuries and streakiness play into it, but this team as presently constructed, just does not have the necessary players, or inspiration to withstand any kind of emergency. They NEED someone, anyone, to take the scoring pressure of the Sedins. This is not a new problem.

He wasted the last two years focussing on fixing his goaltending, a place where the team had no issues, instead of getting his team help when and where it was really needed.

Gillis has been standing pat for so long he's rooted in place. If a GM doesn't make the hard decisions at the right time, the decisions get harder and harder, until someone else is making the decisions for them.

This season may be a write-off, but that doesn't excuse Gillis' part in making it that way!

Of course Gillis has to say what he said. He has no choice. There really is nothing he can do this season. The point is, the present problems were birthed long before this season.

Yes injuries and streakiness play into it, but this team as presently constructed, just does not have the necessary players, or inspiration to withstand any kind of emergency. They NEED someone, anyone, to take the scoring pressure of the Sedins. This is not a new problem.

Gillis has been standing pat for so long he's rooted in place. If a GM doesn't make the hard decisions at the right time, the decisions get harder and harder, until someone else is making the decisions for them.

This season may be a write-off, but that doesn't excuse Gillis' part in making it that way!

I share these opinions. Many do. It is interesting that, through all of this, Gillis is somehow dodging further criticism for hiring a coach who would basically guarantee a roster depletion due to injuries. Given his inability to trade his own mess of contractually tangled assets, he goes a step further and ensures that they would be injured anyways! Crazy. No hill was needed to see this from. Having your top players playing 90% of minutes that equate to primarily blocking shots, in both ends, combined with a foreseeable inability to supply relief AHL talent and finally, the most basic essential in management, an ability to make a trade (without asking a player to leave) due to his NTC/NMC crap is not effing hindsight! The proof of his mistakes are what we are currently witnessing. Regardless, there was no way this roster, when healthy and sprinkled with luck, was going to make it out of the West this year, or any, in the near future. What Gillis hasn't done, will be his undoing. If he was fired today... what is the next GM to do with this contractual disaster? Gillis has created a disaster without the possibility of reprieve. I'm all out of optimism and rightfully so. Fire AV!

"If he was fired today... what is the next GM to do with this contractual disaster? "

Step one is approach every NTC player and ask " Since I did not sign you to the ntc, will you waive it or not? I so give me a list of eams you would go to.

"If he was fired today... what is the next GM to do with this contractual disaster? "

Step one is approach every NTC player and ask " Since I did not sign you to the ntc, will you waive it or not? I so give me a list of eams you would go to.

The best motivator there is, exclusion! "Umm, we deem you expendable for the sake of improvement. Will you waive?"

Archived