The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN] Gillis job may be in jeopardy

Everybody Hates Raymond

It may be too late to fire Gillis. As mentioned, there are no other viable candidates out there. Even if there was, it would take a while to fix the mess Gillis got the Canucks in. I say give Gillis a chance to start fixing the mess he created.

Maybe firing Gilman instead to send a message?

Would be really stupid considering how there are no better candidates available. Won't take long for him to find a job. Since two other teams are searching for a Gm currently.

Seriously? He'll never get another job in the NHL again. He's a bad, bad GM.

Yawn...nothing will happen. MG is the best GM this franchise has had.

Your don't know/appreciate what you have until it's gone and if MG goes, this team will go downhill for sometime mark my words.

Because being on the outside looking in to the playoffs, but not bad enough to get high first round picks is such an enviable position that we should praise Gillis for, right? The team has already gone downhill. The way he handled the Luongo situation, the majority of his trades, the Malhotra situation, his reluctance to fire his lapdog AV, his ability to help push away pillars of the franchise in the community like Trevor Linden, etc.

Yawn...nothing will happen. MG is the best GM this franchise has had.

Your don't know/appreciate what you have until it's gone and if MG goes, this team will go downhill for sometime mark my words.

The team will be bad for some time because he's left the orgainzation with a grand total of zero propects after 6 years. Yet he's doing a good job. Sure. It will take a decade to get over the Gillis disaster.

Lock if old.

From TSN1050 radio, straight from Dreger's mouth. The official @TSN1050 handle has tweeted the quote out as well. Since I'm on mobile, I can't post it.

Says that Gillis, should the Canucks miss the playoffs, will be in the crossair for the ownership. Almost makes you want that 9th spot.

You mean this one?:

Thomas Drance@ThomasDrance

Weird that some in the Toronto hockey media would turn the heat up on Nonis' primary rival on the eve of his struggling team playing here.

Wait, that's not it. Oh well.

It's just something more than baseless speculation from the boards, which is why I posted it.

And I really hope this team doesn't make the playoffs this year. I'd rather see the Canucks get the shot at the lottery pick since every team out of the playoffs can now get first overall. Get Gillis out and hope for Ekblad rather than no shot at Ekblad and get swept by the Ducks...

Oh, I wasn't taking a shot at you.

I just meant it about TSN.

thats what they all said about AV and he got a job in two weeks

Umm no. AV is a good coach. MG is bad GM. Everyone knew AV was going to find another job right away. This team has no prospects, no NHL depth, and a ton of bad contracts. He's also made a litany of terrible, terrible trades. Hockey people are smarter than that..They don't take the VanCity media propaganda as gospel.

Shocker that Dave Nonis's brother in law (dreger) would come out and be the first guy to say gillis could be fired. Dreger is always biased in his reporting since all his insider info comes from Noni. Since Nonis was fired from the nucks dreger has always had a boner for the nucks. No way is gillis fired this offseason, no chance. Ill wager anyone on here money on it.

Laurence Gilman

Ron Hextall

Markus Naslund

Brendan Shanahan

Claude Loiselle

Paul Fenton

Rick Dudley

Brian Burke (should his interim GM stint in Calgary truly be "interim")

You're so ignorant.

Gilman and Gillis work hand in hand. I want a reasoning as to why he's good.

LOL Brian Burke. You idiots complain 'bout Gillis drafting, well over like a seven year-eight year span - burke only managed to pull three players after the 4th round.

Bieksa, Hansen, and Mike brown < LOL

That was well below the league average of around 10%. (4% if you include Brown for us)

>Complains about trades and signings. >suggests assistant GM that traded for Luke Schenn and signed Bryzgalov.

What has Naslund proved?

2011, Corrado, Grenier, Jensen, Labate, Tommernes - we just need two of those.

2012, Only five picks. Picked up Hutton (godly) and Gaunce (High iq)

2013, Horvat Shinkaruk are near locks.

Drafts before that were crap, but we've been good recently.

Only one I can think of is Naslund...and that's if he wanted to leave Modo

But is he really going to be an improvement over Gillis as an NHL GM? If someone believes he would be, I'd like to see their proof based on what he's done for Modo in the SEL.

Laurence Gilman

Ron Hextall

Markus Naslund

Brendan Shanahan

Claude Loiselle

Paul Fenton

Rick Dudley

Brian Burke (should his interim GM stint in Calgary truly be "interim")

Honestly, Burkie would be perfect for us if we're going into a mini rebuild. Naslund would be an interesting choice for GM too if he's ok with leaving Sweden.

How are the others not realistic? Even Gillis started off as a questionable hire because he was an inexperienced rookie GM who had spent his career as a player and an agent.

You honestly have no idea how the Aqualinis choose who they hire

Umm no. AV is a good coach. MG is bad GM. Everyone knew AV was going to find another job right away. This team has no prospects, no NHL depth, and a ton of bad contracts. He's also made a litany of terrible, terrible trades. Hockey people are smarter than that..They don't take the VanCity media propaganda as gospel.

No one, no one said that last year not a single person now everyone is saying it and your one of them. As the old saying goes "You don't know what you got till it's gone".

Archived